Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-12-2003, 12:13 PM   #1
Steve Straus
CF Senior Member
 
Steve Straus's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Charles Town WV
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Straus Send a message via AIM to Steve Straus
Default Wiper Override switch, how does it work?

I just finally installed the wiper override switch in my car, it never had one. I'm talking about the electrical piece, not the Vacuum switch for the door.

How is it supposed to work? If I turn the switch while the wipers are running, they don't stop. As far as I can tell the wires are hooked up correctly, a Red 12G wire from the bulk harness and a R/W 12G wire going up to the light switch both hook up to it according to the manual, and the R/W is hot (verified with vold ohmmeter.

Thanks.
Steve Straus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2003, 02:23 PM   #2
flynhi
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Austin TX
Default Re: Wiper Override switch, how does it work? (Steve Straus)

Sounds like the Override switch below the steering column.
Your switch may have failed. Disconnect the harness wires and test for connect/disconnect as you turn the **** while connected to your ohmmeter.

I just replaced mine with the same problem.
flynhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 02:01 AM   #3
Steve Straus
CF Senior Member
 
Steve Straus's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Charles Town WV
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Straus Send a message via AIM to Steve Straus
Default Re: Wiper Override switch, how does it work? (flynhi)

Quote:
Sounds like the Override switch below the steering column.
Your switch may have failed. Disconnect the harness wires and test for connect/disconnect as you turn the **** while connected to your ohmmeter.

I just replaced mine with the same problem.
The switch is fine, it's brand new and I just double checked it wiht an ohmmeter. I guess I just don't know how this system is designed to work. Should the wiper stop when I turn the ****? The wipers operate regardless of the position that the **** is in.
Steve Straus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 11:21 AM   #4
gq82
CF Senior Member
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14
 
gq82's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 1999
Location: AnyTown NJ
Default Re: Wiper Override switch, how does it work? (Steve Straus)

Quote:
Should the wiper stop when I turn the ****? The wipers operate regardless of the position that the **** is in.
In a word yes. With the wipers on, turning the **** stops them wherever they are on the windshield. It's there so you can change out the blades.
gq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 02:48 PM   #5
mrvette
CF Senior Member
 
mrvette's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jul 1999
Location: Orange Park Florida
Default Re: Wiper Override switch, how does it work? (Steve Straus)

OK, first off your under dash switch is most likely not defective, especially since it's new...mine was 25 years old, and still good, but now a daze, since I rewired the entire car, it's eliminated...sounds like someone did that to yours also....under the dash or under the hood, either way....
the red and red white and then red again thick wires all feed through various devices to the red lead of the wiper motor...see you have 12 volts there when i'ts supposed to be running...if not, may have a blown fusible link...or bad button switch actuated by door....mine is 30- years old and i'ts fine, and i'ts a microswitch made piece of gear, so I doubt it bad....
second off you need another 12 volt source on the YELLOW wires of the controlll circuit regardless of the switch position....third off...you need to see absolutely ZERO to about .2 volts MAX between the engine and the wiper motor case...meaning the case is not properly grounded....it will set there and do nothing if not grounded by that black spade terminal just next to the 3 wire plug in....the 2 wire plug in is the washer, and has NO effect on the wiper function itself....
NOW check the ground of the wiper switch itself....all it really ever does is ground either the dark blue or the light blue and the dark blue....in some combination to give slo and then hi speed.....IF the switch itself is not seeing ground...broken bezel is/can be a cause....the ground for wiper switch as I recall if through the bezel...that large frame for radio/gauges/a-c ducts/and wiper controll.....so run a wire from the switch frame to ground on the body/birdcage somewhere......
NOW is you still have NO wipers.....

check the motor is grounded to engine...voltage check, check if 12 volt wire red is HOT.....check if yellow is hot....then meter the 2 blue wires...they are the ones grounded by the wiper switch to activate the motor in either speed..as explained above....IF they are hot...the switch or the switch grounding or maybe even a wiring harness problem....

das all folks.....

GENE :D
mrvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 02:05 AM   #6
Steve Straus
CF Senior Member
 
Steve Straus's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2000
Location: Charles Town WV
Send a message via ICQ to Steve Straus Send a message via AIM to Steve Straus
Default Re: Wiper Override switch, how does it work? (mrvette)

Quote:
OK, first off your under dash switch is most likely not defective, especially since it's new...mine was 25 years old, and still good, but now a daze, since I rewired the entire car, it's eliminated...sounds like someone did that to yours also....under the dash or under the hood, either way....
the red and red white and then red again thick wires all feed through various devices to the red lead of the wiper motor...see you have 12 volts there when i'ts supposed to be running...if not, may have a blown fusible link...or bad button switch actuated by door....mine is 30- years old and i'ts fine, and i'ts a microswitch made piece of gear, so I doubt it bad....
second off you need another 12 volt source on the YELLOW wires of the controlll circuit regardless of the switch position....third off...you need to see absolutely ZERO to about .2 volts MAX between the engine and the wiper motor case...meaning the case is not properly grounded....it will set there and do nothing if not grounded by that black spade terminal just next to the 3 wire plug in....the 2 wire plug in is the washer, and has NO effect on the wiper function itself....
NOW check the ground of the wiper switch itself....all it really ever does is ground either the dark blue or the light blue and the dark blue....in some combination to give slo and then hi speed.....IF the switch itself is not seeing ground...broken bezel is/can be a cause....the ground for wiper switch as I recall if through the bezel...that large frame for radio/gauges/a-c ducts/and wiper controll.....so run a wire from the switch frame to ground on the body/birdcage somewhere......
NOW is you still have NO wipers.....

check the motor is grounded to engine...voltage check, check if 12 volt wire red is HOT.....check if yellow is hot....then meter the 2 blue wires...they are the ones grounded by the wiper switch to activate the motor in either speed..as explained above....IF they are hot...the switch or the switch grounding or maybe even a wiring harness problem....

das all folks.....

GENE :D
Thanks mrvette. I'll check that out this weekend. I have the opposite prob btw, the wiper works fine, the override switch just never cuts them off. I'll check all of these wires.
Steve Straus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2003, 02:05 AM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page Wiper Override switch, how does it work?
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
1967, c3, column, corvette, function, functions, manual, override, steering, switch, switches, test, turn, windshield, wiper


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wiper motor help. 72 corvette andycw C3 General 3 03-14-2014 12:34 PM
72 easy wiper override question fst72vette C3 General 5 08-18-2013 06:59 PM
Need some help diagnosing a windshield wiper problem 70BBvert C3 Tech/Performance 8 09-05-2012 11:01 PM
Ground to 68 Corvette wiper override switch olefre C3 Tech/Performance 2 08-11-2012 04:28 PM
1968 C3 Wiper Override Switch Sarcastro C3 Tech/Performance 16 06-24-2010 11:50 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 AM.


Emails & Password Backup