C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"You have to be kidding......A leak?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 06:35 PM
73jst4fun
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default "You have to be kidding......A leak?

Well guys I recently asked what was the best way to install a radiator in a 73 vette with AC. The Forum members came through with great suggestions and helpful hints, but it didn't prepare me for this! After removing the radiator which was alot of fun and reinstalling the radiator and the" killer shroud" I thought it was all down hill from there. After all the prep work and reinstalling the radiator, acuators, and checking everything I was in my glory and was filling the radiator with a 50/50 mix of distilled water and antifreeze when.........hey, whats that drip? :confused: It's not the lower hose, pitcock is tight, drip was from the trans cooling line?. Ok, lets remove the line and wrap some teflon tape around the threads......reinstalled the fitting, ok, lets resume the radiator filling.....what?, still dripping? what the :cuss I now had the flashlight out and I found the leak......the :cuss lower hose inlet was leaking around the solder joint! So lets remove the radiator AGAIN and see where's the problem........A hairline crack was found under a poor paint job (nice quality control) by the local radiator guy and he quickly repaired the solder joint and beefed up the entire area for me for $20............I cant wait now to go and reinstall the radiator AGAIN.
So if anyone that has a 73 vette needs some advise on installing a radiator I guess I can qualify as a field proven expert!!
By the way the radiator was purchased through Ecklers, whom I called and explained what happened, besides the lousy way they packed the radiator (I spent an hour cleaning the styrafoam out of the cooling fins with a paint brush and air, not to mention the lousy paint job which I redid, they were no help at all, "just send it back, we will evaluate and make a decision.......Oh, by the way we are out of that one" 6-8 weeks..........yeah right! Well, it's the last time I use them........I'm done crying now......... :cry

[Modified by 73jst4fun, 11:38 PM 6/30/2003]
Old 06-30-2003, 06:41 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Default Re: "You have to be kidding......A leak? (73jst4fun)

Ecklers? I am suprised they did not threaten you. "if you call us again, next time we won't use vasoline!"

:cuss
Old 06-30-2003, 06:55 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: "You have to be kidding......A leak? (BigBadOrange)

Thats why I bought mine from a local rad shop. Same rad for the same money but no issues.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:03 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: "You have to be kidding......A leak? (73jst4fun)

I feel for ya man, I installed a Griffin rad in my 73 and I got it all in and proceeded to fill when it starting leaking at about 3/4 full. You could see where it had been market and lightly welded, guess they didn't get the leak closed all the way. :rolleyes:

Get notified of new replies

To "You have to be kidding......A leak?

Quick Reply: "You have to be kidding......A leak?