C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: Flooded chevy and needed AAA tow home!

Old 07-12-2003, 11:55 PM
78whtshark
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default OT: Flooded chevy and needed AAA tow home!

Today, I flooded the engine on my 93 Camaro Z28 (stepped on gas before starting), it then would not start. It would crank fine, but that was all. Tried putting it to the floor and cranking, no help. Waited 10-15 minutes, no help. Opened up air cleaner snorkel, no help. Called AAA for help or tow.

Weather hot and humid.

30 minutes later, AAA arrives, try cranking no help. Battery still strong. Give it one last long crank, it like farts (backfires), then starts with a roar. Rev it, then put in gear, dies and won't start!

AAA still there, so get towed home about 10 miles. Put car back on ground, it starts and runs fine? (15 minutes later max) ?

Is anything wrong? Fuel filter, plugs, another way to start. when a new iginition style car is flooded? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Any thoughts?

P.S. drove 78 vette all day for run around errands, or old 77 GMC truck! (no problems :) :) :) )
Old 07-13-2003, 12:00 AM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Default Re: OT: Flooded chevy and needed AAA tow home! (78whtshark)

if flooding was the only issue there it seems like cranking it with the carb wide open should have made it start. I wonder if it was a vapor lock issue? Did you pull a plug to see if it was indeed wet with gas?
Old 07-13-2003, 12:06 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Are you sure it was flooded? Had this happen before with a computer controlled engine. First thing to do is check for spark. Everything starts with the ignition module on these cars, and that in turn signals the computer to pulse the injection and a bunch of other things. Could have had a thermal breakdown of some sort on the module, later when it cools everything returns to normal.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:20 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

93 Z28, should be EFI not carbed. None of the above would have helped. May be something in the electronic ignition, could be anything. If its an LT1, could be opti-spark.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:28 AM
78whtshark
Instructor

Default Re: OT: Flooded chevy and needed AAA tow home! (Big Fish)

Could smell gas. Also, I opened the Gas Tank, to relieve pressure (vapor lock)

How do you check the iginition module on a fuel ignition car? Isn't it part of the Computer?
Old 07-13-2003, 12:29 AM
RJR99SS
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah....you can only flood an engine with a carburater, when you step on the pedal that causes the accelerator pump to shoot gas into the carb.

on a efi, stepping on the gas with the engine off does absolutly nothing besides opening the tb up.

Just off the top of my head i'd check out the optispark system, they're kind of notorious for being sensitive to moisture.
Old 07-13-2003, 12:54 AM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

78, follow your plug wires from the plugs to the other end. Where do those wires ned up?

At the front by the water pump? LT1

At the rear, distributor? pre LT1
Old 07-13-2003, 01:14 AM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

Default Re: OT: Flooded chevy and needed AAA tow home! (LAvetteman)

78, follow your plug wires from the plugs to the other end. Where do those wires ned up?

At the front by the water pump? LT1

At the rear, distributor? pre LT1
93 was forst year for LT1.

If it floods (it is possible to flood a EFI car), just press the gas to the floor and crank. Giving it full throttle sets the "clear flood" mode in the computer and the injectors will not fire so that it clears out.
Old 07-13-2003, 01:18 AM
WPEDirect
Instructor

Sounds like your Opti- Spark is jacked up. I had a '96 T/A and ruined my Opti (ignition module) when I got a little water on it while washing the engine. The Opti is the 4th gen F-Body's achilles heel. Not sure how to test one...
:smash:
Old 07-13-2003, 06:21 AM
Road Racer
Burning Brakes

Default Re: OT: Flooded chevy and needed AAA tow home! (WPEDirect)

On a EFI engine there is no need to step on gas while cranking engine this coould cause flooding. All newer cars that are electronically controlled all you do is turn the key and the computer will do the rest i.e. tell the electronic fuel pump to pump some gas. When you pump the pedal you are actually putting more gas in the engine which could cause flooding. Try starting with out touching the gas pedal and your problem might be solved.
Also,
The optispark could also be the problem as stated earlier, If it got wet, it could be the beginning of problems that will get progressably worse until you change the optispark $900.00
Good Luck! :cheers:

[Modified by Road Racer, 6:27 AM 7/13/2003]
Old 07-13-2003, 08:10 AM
78whtshark
Instructor

Default Re: OT: Flooded chevy and needed AAA tow home! (Road Racer)

Zwese,

It has it's distributor on the front, below the water pump. good to know, full throttle = clear. Day was hot and humid (Muggy), but no recent car wash or rain. That has got to be the worse place for a distributor, and so far I haven't had trouble with this early LT1.

Road Racer,

Ouch, That expensive to replace, and then you would have to do the water pump...
Stepping on gas was by accident, I wasn't thinking and my old truck and 78 vette start easier with a squirt of gas. I was in a hurry, so it was like jump in car, pump pedal, start car (no start, but I wanted to put my foot into to get to my next stop, "Auto Part Store").
I usually don't step on the gas when starting. But Boy I step on the gas, when running. That LT1/275 will light up the tires and rear slicks are proof.

All,

Thanks for all the help, I hope it runs fine today (it's the daily driver), or I'll drive the Old Truck (77 GMC). :smash: :smash: :smash:

Ralph
Old 07-13-2003, 09:50 PM
78whtshark
Instructor

It runs fine today, several easy starts, and even rain and puddles. Still don't know what happen yesterday????????

Does anybody know how to check those distributor/ignition modules behind the water pump?
Old 07-13-2003, 11:06 PM
LAvetteman
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: OT: Flooded chevy and needed AAA tow home! (Road Racer)

I have been studying the LT1 setup for a little while since I now own one. The guys in the C-4 gen and tech sections are quite familiar with them. Here is what they will tell you. I seriously doubt you pressing the go pedal had ANYTHING to do with your troubles. Your opti is trying to warn you its needing replacement, which is very common. They very seldom just die, they usually act up (mis, wont start or run then will run fine) in plenty of time for you to make arangements for its death, thats if they don't get wet, if they get water in them they are gone. Two most common causes of water intrusion is washing an engine and water pump failure. But even without these circumstances it is very common they start "acting up" at around 70k miles.

Cost of replacement is usually $900 or higher with labor. If you can do it yourself a new opti can be had for $400-500. But it is recommended at that age and mileage to go ahead and replace your waterpump as well.

Get notified of new replies

To OT: Flooded chevy and needed AAA tow home!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: OT: Flooded chevy and needed AAA tow home!