C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark plug wire boot removal - Plug wire crimping instructions - How ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 10:10 AM
RATT7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spark plug wire boot removal - Plug wire crimping instructions - How ?

Hello, I purchased a set of Accel Super Stock Spiral core plug wires for my 1980 – I need to remove the boots on the plug wire in order to route the wire through the engine mounts and possibly re cut the plug wires to proper size. I cannot find the instruction sheet on how to crimp the spark plug wires, does anyone have this available ? Secondly how do I remove the spark plug boots ?

Thanks
:)
Old 07-14-2003, 10:15 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Spark plug wire boot removal - Plug wire crimping instructions - How ? (RATT7)

Get yourself a hand crimping tool, the Accel wires I bought for my Formula cam with some crazy vise/hammer two piece tool that looks silly to use. I bought a set of plugs for my vette from summit, their brand, and it came with a nice crimping tool. If you did not get the universal set return the ones you bought and get a universal set, it will come with the boots and connections in a bag and you cut to fit the wires.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:38 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Spark plug wire boot removal - Plug wire crimping instructions - How ? (Fevre)

On the set I had before, I just pulled the boots off. Wire in one hand, boot in the other and pull.

Now, some wires have the boots bonded to the wires so you may be S.O.L.
As far as crimping, you shouldn't have to change the length of the wire. I hate doing crimping, it sucks and I hope never to do it again.
Old 07-14-2003, 11:49 AM
RATT7
Pro

Default Re: Spark plug wire boot removal - Plug wire crimping instructions - How ? (BSeery)

A buddy of mine suggested that I use some silcone to help ease the boots off - I noticed that the accel spiral wires I purchased may be a bit long for the front 4 cyclinders, but the ac delco wires I have on now seem to be a bit short - I would like to avoid crimping the wires if possible, and the extra length I suspect may be a good thing when it comes to routing the wires - the ac delco seem a little tight and sort of look like they are pulling. I am still going to route the wires as the factory did, that is through the engine mounts and under the manifold.
Thanks
Old 07-14-2003, 11:55 AM
WydGlydJim
Team Owner

Received 296 Likes on 141 Posts

Default Re: Spark plug wire boot removal - Plug wire crimping instructions - How ? (RATT7)

This might sound wierd, but along with silicone, you can chew the boot to soften up the rubber....depends on what kind of boot of course.
:cheers:

To get the boot back on.

[Modified by WydGlydJim, 10:56 AM 7/14/2003]
Old 07-15-2003, 11:20 AM
RATT7
Pro

Removed the boots the other day with out any problems - I friend of mine suggested that a apply a little baby oil on a small screw driver and break the seal around the boot while still on the wire , once I completed this I placed a few drops within the boot itself and with a very slight pull the boot came off like a charm -

Get notified of new replies

To Spark plug wire boot removal - Plug wire crimping instructions - How ?

Quick Reply: Spark plug wire boot removal - Plug wire crimping instructions - How ?