C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

will removing the passenger block plug be the same as both for a flush? 1982

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016, 04:46 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Default will removing the passenger block plug be the same as both for a flush? 1982

i must have flush my system 5 times in the last 7 months

once to run water in to drive around for a while

another for good measure for routine

once for a e fan mod when the radiator came out

i then saw rusty clouds and sentiment in my overflow tank, which i thought attributed by only able to get 1 gallon of universal coolant in there.

then i searched and read

i learned the block has plugs, the passenger side has what i think is a knock sensor in there? regardless, it came out and so did the coolant

the other side i dared not to touch, it was tight and i left it alone,

i was wondering if my flush reached over to the other side of the block??

the last time i was not able to put in 2 gallons of coolant

so i took my mouth and blew the heater core lines

drained the radiator

and let that one side of the block flush and drain clean,

then i buttoned it up and was only able to get 2 gallons of coolant and 1 gallon of distilled water, after driving around to the store to buy 4 gallons of distilled water

our systems are 20 quarts correct??

i got 12 qts in it and it seems full to me

and the coolant don't even look green to me...where did it hide??

Last edited by slickfx3; 01-28-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:43 PM
SH-60B
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 162 Posts

The flush will reach the other side of the block, you just have to give it some time. But you're right, the only way to drain the block nearly completely is to remove both plugs. The block will only drain down to the water pump bosses if the plugs aren't removed, assuming the engine is still in the car of course.

Last edited by SH-60B; 01-28-2016 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:54 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts
Default Block Drain Plugs

To drain the block of any V8 engine the plugs on both sides have to be removed. As you discovered the knock sensor on the '82's is screwed into the right side block drain hole. The OEM plugs are steel so once you get them out put brass pipe plugs in OR a radiator drain **** will also work.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:32 PM
REELAV8R
Le Mans Master

Received 1,034 Likes on 852 Posts

Leave the block plug out, stick a garden hose in the radiator fill port and run the engine, do this with the thermostat removed. By running you are circulating and letting it drain out the block plug. That should stir up any left over sediment and flush it out.
I can tell you from experience if your radiator is clogged up that the only real fix is to replace it or get it rodded out.
Old 01-28-2016, 06:59 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

YEH, both of those drain plugs/sensors/whatever need be removed, the amount of crap/rust/junk in the bottom of the V wedge will not come out without it.....you can **** water/chemicals all day long, and that crap is heavy and will not come out easy....in fact you maybe have to even bust some loose with a screwdriver or angle/auger to get the crap moving.....yeh, it's a MESS.....
Old 01-28-2016, 09:27 PM
slickfx3
Safety Car

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by mrvette
YEH, both of those drain plugs/sensors/whatever need be removed, the amount of crap/rust/junk in the bottom of the V wedge will not come out without it.....you can **** water/chemicals all day long, and that crap is heavy and will not come out easy....in fact you maybe have to even bust some loose with a screwdriver or angle/auger to get the crap moving.....yeh, it's a MESS.....
i ain't going back in there for a few years
suffice to say, if it is so packed in hopefully it won't circulate around and mess up my day

the PO did maintain it and the brass radiator cleaned up nice with the flushes....

Get notified of new replies

To will removing the passenger block plug be the same as both for a flush? 1982

Quick Reply: will removing the passenger block plug be the same as both for a flush? 1982