C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

piston rings

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:20 AM
mj9311
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default piston rings

so i just got my block back and all my parts for the 383 stroker motor that im building and i was setting the rings which were a PITA but i am just curious if the spacing on them is too much what will be the outcome?? low compression and loss of power?? they call for .016-.018 but im concerned i may have filed a few of them a little too much. i think i am just going to buy a new set just to be on the safe side just looking for another opinion.

thanks, matt
Old 10-19-2010, 10:25 AM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

Just to be sure when You are checking them, You are placing a ring on the piston and pushing the one You are checking in the cylinder with the piston to be sure they are square? and how much past the .018" are they. Its probably not going to even be noticeable to You. I would be more worried that there is no burrs and that they are filed square to ring.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 PM
mj9311
Racer

yea i just talked to the guy at the engine shop who did all the machining and such very helpful. i bought another set and am going to redo them just to be safe he said aslong as at a max im not past .028 i will be ok but i dont want to rush this and for the few bucks the piece of mind is worth it
Old 10-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

Sounds great, just be glad You werent doing something light weight. The rings I put in My 70 Z28 were $180 bucks a set. I took extra time with them and still had 1 go .002" past limit. Take Your time and double and triple check everything. Another thing most people don't mention is everything has to be clean like an operating room. Take Your time and the symphony of cylinders will be well worth the wait.
Old 10-19-2010, 10:59 PM
mj9311
Racer

yea stuck to the plan picked up a new set 130 out the window but my piece of mind is priceless another question you may be able to help me with. i took all the pistons out and started replacing them with the proper ring gaps and such. so i got piston 1 in and the cam and timing gears in on the cam and crank. now is piston 1 supposed to be at TDC when the cam grar and crank gear meet at the 0 marks? because as it now sits when the gears meet at 0 the cam is about 3/4 BTDC any advise on that? do i need to pull the bottom gear and move it 2 or 4 deg (its an adjustable gear)?? thanks

this is where my 0 marks are at with piston 1 at TDC

and where 1 is with gears set at 0

Last edited by mj9311; 10-19-2010 at 11:19 PM.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:17 PM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mj9311
yea stuck to the plan picked up a new set 130 out the window but my piece of mind is priceless another question you may be able to help me with. i took all the pistons out and started replacing them with the proper ring gaps and such. so i got piston 1 in and the cam and timing gears in on the cam and crank. now is piston 1 supposed to be at TDC when the cam grar and crank gear meet at the 0 marks? because as it now sits when the gears meet at 0 the cam is about 3/4 BTDC any advise on that? do i need to pull the bottom gear and move it 2 or 4 deg (its an adjustable gear)?? thanks

this is where my 0 marks are at with piston 1 at TDC

The timing marks do not look right make sure you degree the cam in to make sure its in correctly!!!
Old 10-19-2010, 11:28 PM
mj9311
Racer

Originally Posted by BLOCKMAN
The timing marks do not look right make sure you degree the cam in to make sure its in correctly!!!
by that do you mean moving the lower sprocket over 2 or 4 deg? im a little stumped on the process
Old 10-19-2010, 11:44 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 317 Likes on 268 Posts

I think you've got the crank sprocket on so that the cam is 2 degrees advanced. If you're looking for everything to line up, I think you should be using the 0 (zero) slot on the keyway. Hopefully the timing gears came with instructions and the various positions will be explained there.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:02 AM
BLOCKMAN
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

by that do you mean moving the lower sprocket over 2 or 4 deg? im a little stumped on the process
It looks like its more then 4 degrees off!! like I said degree the cam in to find out where you are at just sticking in performance cam in and lining up the dots some times is not the hot set up.
Old 10-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Timsride
Burning Brakes

Take the timing chain back off. Move the sprocket on crank. Its sitting on 2 deg. You need the gap that is labled "0". Then turn crank till Your marker with the "0" is straight up. Then install timing chain with cam sprocket "0" pointing straight down, so that the two marks line up. I forgot to look but if I remember correctly its a small block. So now Your at #6 firing. With the chain fully connected turn crank one full turn and both "0"s should be at top of sprockets. Now Your at #1 firing.Make sure after valvetrain is installed that the sprockets are in this position. That way when You install dist. You can aim rotor at #1 and it will fire at first crank.You can print this off and take it with You while lining everything up. Take Your time and if You get stumped on anything ask and wait for a reply before moving on.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:42 PM
mj9311
Racer

ok so i fixed my timing issue now its all set right but another question how far in to i put the dampener??
i still have about an inch before the beginning of the crank but if i go in all that way im goina hit the tc cover any ideas??

Old 10-24-2010, 10:48 AM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

It should go all the way until it stops against the snout of the crankshaft. If you don't put in on far enough your pulleys won't align.

You may have to do some clearancing on the timing cover. That isn't all that unusual with a thick, aluminum cover.

What's the deal with the tap wrench?
Old 10-26-2010, 12:10 AM
mj9311
Racer

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette

What's the deal with the tap wrench?
just chasing them out making sure they were good
Old 10-26-2010, 09:57 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

just chasing them out making sure they were good
Good answer.

What are you using to press on the damper?

Get notified of new replies

To piston rings

Quick Reply: piston rings