C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this a safe jacking point on the C3?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2003, 08:44 AM
SouthernC3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a safe jacking point on the C3?

[Modified by SouthernC3, 6:27 PM 8/10/2003]
Old 08-08-2003, 09:26 AM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Default Re: Is this a safe jacking point on the C3? (SouthernC3)

Be careful Rick, the front wheels are not locked. I would jack it up by the frame in front of the rear wheels one side at a time to keep it from walking off the ramps.

Dave
Old 08-08-2003, 09:26 AM
mayberg
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think so - that's what carries the car down the road. I think there's someone here that routinely raises their car using that method.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:32 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the differential is bolted to the frame, but the case is not designed to take the weight of the car on the outside of the case. You could crack the case by jacking on it. I recommend jacking only from the frame rails along the side of the car...there are specific jacking points behind the front wheels and ahead of the rear wheels. The points are easy to determine because they are flattened out and will probably have marks where other jacks have been used there.

I also recommend NOT using ramps. Ramps are not a replacement for jack stands. Ramps will wear after awhile and will need replacing before they fail. I have had a ramp fail on me while I was working on an engine...nobody was under the car thank god. If they fail then it could be your life. Jack stands with lock pins will not wear and will not fail. Jack stands that have a ratcheting arm will wear and could fail. I always use 4 jack stands with locking pins, and I always carry a cell phone in my pocket when I'm working alone under a car in case the impossible happens.

Ramps might be convenient for changing the oil, but I wouldn't trust them if I was getting under there with a torque wrench. There's also the problem that ramps usually are much higher than necessary, and jacks and jack stands will not be able to get the rear end level with the front, so the car will be at a slant and not balanced. Ramps with Jack stands just aren't safe together.

Be careful man. :(
Old 08-08-2003, 12:39 PM
Fevre
Race Director

If you got two hyd floor jacks use one on each side near the rear wheels. Jack up one side a little then go to the other side and jack it up twice as far then repeat till you are where you want to be.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:02 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Is this a safe jacking point on the C3? (Fevre)

I agree I use jack stands too, and when I am putting the new clutch in this weekend I will be right under the car so I am seriously thinking about buying two more jack stands for a total of six :D
Old 08-08-2003, 01:26 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Every hydraulic floor jack I have seen has a warning label saying "Do not use alone to support the car, always use jack stands"
Old 08-08-2003, 01:51 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Is this a safe jacking point on the C3? (Boofers)

Every hydraulic floor jack I have seen has a warning label saying "Do not use alone to support the car, always use jack stands"
I assumed he would use stands after he jacked it up, can't jack a car up with jack stands. :p:
Old 08-08-2003, 03:09 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Regardless of what you hold it up with afterwards - it is totally safe to lift the
rear end up by jacking under the center of the rear spring. The differential
cover holds the entire weight of the back - all the time ! You will not hurt the
cover this way, unless it is cracked and ready to break, anyway. The stands
should be placed under the frame rails - at the back edge of the door.

Jacking it up while the front sits on ramps - well that is another issue.

BE CAREFUL !!!

I've put the front on ramps before - but I didn't use stands in the rear. I used
large pieces of 1 1/2" plywood - stacked up under the frame rail. I had little
chance of the car teetering off of the stands and rolling down the ramps.

BE CAREFUL !!

:seeya
Old 08-08-2003, 03:45 PM
Jmccreary
Advanced

I would use two jacks for this operation. If you only have one jack available then you would clearly be one jack off.
Old 08-08-2003, 04:02 PM
standup
Drifting

Default Re: Is this a safe jacking point on the C3? (Jmccreary)

I would use two jacks for this operation. If you only have one jack available then you would clearly be one jack off.
:lol: Ah.....what a clever little punster..........

Jack stands are the only way to go......the force of gravity and the weight of the car are greater than you think......Recently, at a tire shop, I watched a floor jack collapse and a bolt shoot across the shop.......

Be super safe......I can think of better ways to die.......like a heart attack while bonking........
Old 08-08-2003, 04:12 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: Is this a safe jacking point on the C3? (standup)

*hickup* on the farm heeeeeeeeeere, we have solid wood ramps. They're safer than any tipsy jackstand. My grand-daddy cut them from the big spruce by the hay loft over 80 years ago, still workin too, (not grand-dad). I gotta go we're havin a square dance-ho down in the barn, My sister is my date *hickup*. :U
Old 08-08-2003, 04:40 PM
Glutamine83
Racer

Default Re: Is this a safe jacking point on the C3? (bloodvette80)

ya, bloodvette, i'm looking to do an oil change, and my ramps are bent..........just a little scary IMHO
Old 08-08-2003, 04:56 PM
76Stinger
Burning Brakes

I think there are merits to all opinions on this. I personally would not want to use my differential. Also agree with the fact about jacking rear end while front is on ramps.

Don't think I saw it mentioned but will apologize if someone did or you already had feelings about this. I would remove or at least unlatch T-Tops if you have them and maybe even open doors, especially if jacking one side at a time. My mechanic does this each and every time - maybe he is a little paranoid, but can't hurt. Sure would hate to put a stress crack somewhere.

My .02 - probably worth .00 :rolleyes:

STW :seeya
Robert
76Stinger
Old 08-08-2003, 05:06 PM
bloodvette80
Pro

Default Re: Is this a safe jacking point on the C3? (76Stinger)

weren't you gonna chnge your oil 2 weeks ago? with your $20 oil filter? anyways, if you want to come by my place in the city we can do it with uh "jackstands" or if you want to do it at the farm my dad won't mind as long as you leave him the oil filter, a full 45 gallon drum of filters is worth $50 or something, he's pretty pumped about that, its almost full. :cheers:
Old 08-09-2003, 04:51 AM
VettePup
Cruising

Back when i was in high school i saw a guy lift a camaro like that with the front on ramps,The wheels of the jack rolled back on the concrete and the car came right down off the ramps.Ramps are for inspection only,Aways use jackstands and with a vette lift it by each location slowly and evenly to avoid undue stresses which can cause cracks. A decent set of four stands are cheap and will last forever.
Old 08-10-2003, 02:44 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Is this a safe jacking point on the C3? (VettePup)

..... A decent set of four stands are cheap and will last forever.
Jack on the frame locations where your owner's manual or shop manual identifies. I would not use the differential or the center frame under the engine. I use jack stands AND a large wood block (just to be safe) when I work under the car. Jackstands and jacks are a minimal expense. :)
Old 08-10-2003, 03:24 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Re: Is this a safe jacking point on the C3? (mapman)

i've used the differential/spring mount dozens of times with no problems. however, if you already have the front on ramps then you can sneak a floor jack in and hit the rear frame crossmember just in front of the diff just to make you feel better. make sure your ramps have those dips for the wheels to rest in so the car doesn't roll out while doing this.
i always try to hit the front or rear crossmember when jacking. i hate lifting the car from the sides.

Get notified of new replies

To Is this a safe jacking point on the C3?

Quick Reply: Is this a safe jacking point on the C3?