C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is this worth price and no hassle for differential oil change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 11:37 AM
SouthernC3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this worth price and no hassle for differential oil change?

I need to have the fluid in my rear differential drained and changed. To do it myself, I'd have to buy a pump, the fluid and the positraction additive. The the hassle of putting the car up on jack stands, doing the work in 90 degree heat, and then the clean up providing everything goes right. Our local Shell Rapid Lube will do it for $34.95 and that includes adding the additive (I made sure they would do that!) and a new plug (no charge). Do you guys think it's worth it to save the hassle of doing myself?
Old 08-09-2003, 11:59 AM
WA 2 FST
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 556 Likes on 359 Posts

Default Re: Is this worth price and no hassle for differential oil change? (SouthernC3)

How much is your time worth? :) I'm at the age to where "yeah, I can do the work" (more than likely I've done it several times over), and I have the tools, etc. But I also have other things to do sometimes.

As long as the shop will let you supervise the work (there are a couple of local shops I have developed a good rapport with), and they'll use the gear oil/additive that you demand, then $35 might sound pretty good.

I work on my cars b/c I enjoy it. But my two trucks... I take them into my local F*rd dealer's "Fast Serve" and let them do the oil changes, etc.

Point is, if you'd rather spend that time _driving_ your car, and it really needs the diff lube changed, then spend the $35 to have someone else do it as long as they are _competent_. :) If you enjoy spending the time working on your car, then you do it.
Old 08-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Is this worth price and no hassle for differential oil change? (SouthernC3)

I didn't raise mine when I did it.

I took the spare carrier down and did everything on the ground. My car is slightly lower than stock in back and was no problem. You do need a good pump to get the old oil out, and a pump to get the new oil back in.

Valvoline sells a pump that works well for putting the new oil in for like $3.

I used a vac pump to get the diff oil out.

-Steve
Old 08-09-2003, 12:46 PM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

if you do it yourself, you might get dirt in your eye and have to spend $500 at the emergency room .
i would NEVER let anyone else touch my car.(on a simple job like this) Of course i cut my own hair, bake my own pizza, and rolls too!

My cost was $6.99 for a gallon of gear lube(with built in additive). But it's the quality of the job that keeps me doing it myself.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:23 PM
Alwyn678
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Default Re: Is this worth price and no hassle for differential oil change? (Matt Gruber)

I did my own but at that price I may let someone else do it while I watched
Old 08-09-2003, 02:36 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

That's a bargain.
Old 08-09-2003, 02:55 PM
FASGLAS
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09

Default Re: Is this worth price and no hassle for differential oil change? (paul67)

That's a bargain.

:iagree: :yesnod:
Old 08-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Would you let someone service your girlfriend? I don't think so! That's how bolts wind up missing, and parts disappear. The shop will probably remind you of the other stuff that needs to be done and will be wanting you to let them do it. Believe me...it's much less hassle doing it yourself.

Just buy the lube and additive, then one of the pumps that screw onto the lube bottle. Use that pump to extract the old oil by reversing the tubes so you can pump the old oil out. I recommend pouring some of the new oil out of the bottles and squirting 1/2 the additive into each one and shaking them up to get it mixed up well before pouring it in. This way you won't get clumps floating around for awhile or sticking to the sides, and will not have to baby the rear for the first few miles while the additive mixes with the lube.

And, you will be able to keep the original plug and warning tag (it may get in the way of the mechanic doing the change). It will also cost a lot less money. You will save like $20 (the pump is like $8). So, buy the stuff, plus a six pack and a good video (or treat the girlfriend to something she likes), and do it yourself.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:23 PM
JB
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: Is this worth price and no hassle for differential oil change? (Rockn-Roll)

I let the quickie lube do it. Brought my own lube and posi, they did all the work, and it only cost me $18. No smelly used diff oil to deal with, no contortions to get to the plug, no burns from hot exhaust pipes (you have to get the pumpkin hot or the stuff is like glue and doesn't come out too well). Big time bargain, IMHO. I love my car, but it ain't my wife, and I don't mind letting someone else service it if I keep my eyes on the proceedings.

JB
Old 08-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Is this worth price and no hassle for differential oil change? (JB)

I agree. It is not rocket science, just watch. They re-cycle, etc. Again, it's a bargain.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,238 Likes on 1,032 Posts

Default Re: Is this worth price and no hassle for differential oil change? (paul67)

JUST DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-10-2003, 08:03 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Use the money you save to buy a square socket to fit the plug, jack the right side up, take the r/r wheel off. Use a long extension and impact gun or 1/2" ratchet. Makes it easy.. no crawling under.. do it from the side. Use GM grease and their additive. I hear lots of bad things about quick lube places. Quick change service places.... NOT MY car. NO WAY.

[Modified by bluevetteman, 8:03 AM 8/10/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Is this worth price and no hassle for differential oil change?

Quick Reply: Is this worth price and no hassle for differential oil change?