C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help troubleshooting short in ignition wire...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 06:05 PM
Skyhigh82
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help troubleshooting short in ignition wire...

Went to start car (82) and got nothing, zero, no engine light, no fuel pump noise, nothing. Referred to manual it said back probe ECM. Found ignition wire grounded with continuity test. Have tried tracing the ground for two days and it just dawned on me that the only thing I haven’t checked is the ignition switch itself. Could the switch be causing this problem? I’ve disconnected every connection with the ohmmeter on audible tone in continuity mode and still it’s grounded.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:30 PM
IETEK
Advanced

Default Re: Help troubleshooting short in ignition wire... (Skyhigh)

To answer your question yes the ignition switch can cause this and may cause a false reading if you have any path to ground through the ignition, while you are checking other possible ground areas. Not to discourage you, but a ground is a hard problem to find on a car because of inaccessability. You have to isolate every connection in the circuit before you can really troubleshoot a ground problem (electricity is like water if it has a path it will flow). On another note do you have power to the ecm? I had a similar problem in the past if you have power going to the ecm MAKE SURE you have a ground to the ecm itself, if you have a broken ground somewhere on the car and the ecm is not grounded it will do the same thing. You can eliminate this by running a temporary ground wire from the case of the ecm to the - battery post. If you have had any radiator or heater core problems this is a tell tale sign of this problem It would take two pages to explain this so I defer the subject for now. If you need anymore help I will check back on the post later and if you would like to call me I will email you my # otherwise GOOD LUCK

:chevy
IETEK
Old 08-10-2003, 03:21 AM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Even with a bad ECM the motor should still crank over. I'm guessing that one end of the battery cables (at the batt or starter) is loose or has some corrision on it, or one of the small wires that goes to the starter has pulled off.

A quick way to check you ign switch is to hook up a remote starter switch (you can get these from Sears automotive & they are handy to have)

Good luck
Old 08-11-2003, 09:48 PM
Skyhigh82
Racer

Default Re: Help troubleshooting short in ignition wire... (71coupe)

Does any one know how to connect a remote starter switch to an 82? Without crawling under the car.

I'm still troubleshooting. According to the wiring diagram the 3 amp fuses to the injectors should always be hot. I checked my fuse block and nothing is hot. I’ve checked my battery and it’s connected 12+ volts and 12v going to the connector with the three pink wires next to the battery. I have 12v going to my ECM on (I think) connector 10 of white plug. I guess I’ll try a new ECM, I’ve exhausted every book/idea I have.
Old 08-11-2003, 10:31 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the ECM doesn't control the fuseblock check all you wiring at the starter including the fusible links. you need to sort out you power problems (no power at the fuses) before you do anything else.

Steve :steering:
Old 08-12-2003, 12:54 AM
Sixty9
Advanced

Just an idea--after you check wires at starter--put your hand on ignition switch and make sure harnesses have not come lose--push wires around trying to make better contact preferably w/your volt meter hooked to ignition wire(find a spot) and key in run position--my 69 had that problem--unfortunately ignition switch is in a bad location(on 69-and rest-I think) on top steering column :mad gotta be a contortionist to get at it--I finally lowered my column w/help from corvettefaq.com--good luck!

Get notified of new replies

To Help troubleshooting short in ignition wire...

Quick Reply: Help troubleshooting short in ignition wire...