C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally fixed off idle stumble - Thanks to Lars Q jet paper

Old 08-25-2003, 06:04 PM
RATT7
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Finally fixed off idle stumble - Thanks to Lars Q jet paper

Finally resolved the off idle stumble on my 1980 - I first checked the ignition system and replaced the cap, rotor, plug wires and plugs. I checked the emissions and emission hoses and this was up to spec. Lars paper indicated how to disable the linkage for the accel pump and upon doing this and then reving the engine there was not change at all in performance. According to Lars the problem seemed to point to the accel pump. I removed the top of the carb last week and determined that the accel pump took alot of effort to remove from the carb, as per Lars paper he mentioned that Alcohol and additives in todays gas will cause the rubber pump cup on the accel pump to swell and this is exactly what happened. I would never have guessed this because the rubber cup was not cracked or distored, but when compared to a new ruber cup that I installed you could see a difference in size. The car is running fine now when I drop it in gear - Would never have thought of a swelled pump cup as the problem - Thanks Lars for your suggestion on the Q q jet paper
Old 08-26-2003, 07:17 PM
Black'69
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Finally fixed off idle stumble - Thanks to Lars Q jet paper (RATT7)

Lars is the man! Sent my carb to him for a rebuild a couple of months back, runs like a bat out of hell. :cheers:
Old 08-27-2003, 01:06 AM
Shark Racer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 241 Likes on 200 Posts

Default Re: Finally fixed off idle stumble - Thanks to Lars Q jet paper (RATT7)

How much is involved in the accelerator pump rebuild? I'm starting to think this may be my problem as well...

-Steve
Old 08-27-2003, 09:48 AM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Finally fixed off idle stumble - Thanks to Lars Q jet paper (Pacin'California)

Its easy, pop the top off the carb and swap out the accel pump. Lars sent me step by step directions. It really took the mystery out of carb repair :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To Finally fixed off idle stumble - Thanks to Lars Q jet paper

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Finally fixed off idle stumble - Thanks to Lars Q jet paper