C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Breaking in an engine with ceramic coated headers question.

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2003, 10:31 AM
stingraymax
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Breaking in an engine with ceramic coated headers question.

Hi,

I currently have hooker super competition sidemount headers on my corvette, but am planning on putting in a ZZ4 engine while I do the frame off restoration.
Now I read on the hooker site that is not such a good idea

"Breaking in an engine with ceramic coated headers WILL result in damage to the coating and will void all warranties. Ceramic coated headers require several heat cycles to fully cure before they will withstand extreme heat. Hooker recommends using cast iron exhaust manifolds or old headers to break in new engines to avoid coating damage."

So what do they mean with this ? Will it result on damage to the headers or to the engine, and does this still count for me because the hooker headers have been on my car for about 5 years now ?

Please is there somebody out here that can help me on this, because they are taking a long time to respond to my question at hookers.

:banghead:
Old 09-16-2003, 11:03 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Breaking in an engine with ceramic coated headers question. (stingraymax)

I've seen engines almost glow red on initial start up and break in. Not saying that is normal, however; there is alot of heat generated from a brand new engine and I agree with not using the ceramic coated headers on a brand new engine.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:06 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Breaking in an engine with ceramic coated headers question. (stingraymax)

Breaking in the cam is the hardest part since you need to run it at 2000+ rpm's from 20 to 30 min and you are not supposed to shut it down during this period so if you are running lean your headers will heat up. I was breaking in a cam once with the rams horn manifolds and after about 5 minutes they started glowing red. :eek: I did shut it down and jet my carb up and did not seem to have any problems doing that, ran the eng for about 5 months before switching to a roller cam. If you go with a roller cam you do not have to do the high rpm break in period.
Old 09-16-2003, 11:21 AM
stingraymax
Racer

Default Re: Breaking in an engine with ceramic coated headers question. (Fevre)

Thanks for the input.

I am planning on getting the engine from Salle, they offer as an option Dyno testing, break in calibration.

(Your engine will be completely tested and broke in (ready to run). Carb jetting distributor calibration set to a premium performance level. Includes a video of your engine on the dyno, with one test run. You will also receive dyno sheets showing power and torque output.)

So if I get this done from Sallee I can go ahead and install the hooker headers and consider the engine broken in or am I wrong ??
Old 09-16-2003, 12:30 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the input.

I am planning on getting the engine from Salle, they offer as an option Dyno testing, break in calibration.

(Your engine will be completely tested and broke in (ready to run). Carb jetting distributor calibration set to a premium performance level. Includes a video of your engine on the dyno, with one test run. You will also receive dyno sheets showing power and torque output.)

So if I get this done from Sallee I can go ahead and install the hooker headers and consider the engine broken in or am I wrong ??
Call Sallee and ask them.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:53 PM
gerry72
Safety Car

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Re: Breaking in an engine with ceramic coated headers question. (79VetteMike)

You won't have a problem with glowing exhaust manifolds on break-in as long as your fuel and ignition are right. As far as the "dyno break-in," that takes care of the issue entirely.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:55 PM
stingraymax
Racer

Default Re: Breaking in an engine with ceramic coated headers question. (gerry72)

So just get the dyno break in and I should be ready to rock without being worried of hurting the engine

Get notified of new replies

To Breaking in an engine with ceramic coated headers question.

Quick Reply: Breaking in an engine with ceramic coated headers question.