C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The stroker is alive again!

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2003, 02:36 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default The stroker is alive again!

Well at least it made it through the cam break in.
:party:

For now it is an iron headed torque best that idles rock solid at 600 rpm's. I bought a Summit cam (214/224 .442/.465) that would go well with a stock tpi system that I have. Alot of little things to hook up so no test drive yet, might do it later if the weather holds. Not sure how long this eng will stay in or stay in its current configuration but it should be good for the few events left this year and some spring driving if nothing else. I might just start on a forged 383 next year then either store this one or sell it with the tpi system, would make a great combo for :cool: old truck that sees some trailering.

One other thing, I thought I had put in a 180 stat so when I replaced my stock temp gauge with an aftermarket one and put my face on it I calibrated it so when the stat opened it read about 180. So really I have been running 20 degrees cooler than I thought. Better than 20 hotter. :yesnod:

[Modified by Fevre, 2:39 PM 9/28/2003]
Old 09-28-2003, 02:43 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: The stroker is alive again! (Fevre)

:cool: What ever happend to that roller cam I got you ?
Old 09-28-2003, 02:48 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: The stroker is alive again! (MotorHead)

Wayne

When I pulled it it had some grooves and wear so after bending some valves while removing them :rolleyes: I decided I would use a set of iron heads I have laying to see if it would run. Giving it some thought I will probably just pitch it instead of taking a chance of it totally failing on my. Not sure what the problem was, might have been me using 1.6 rockers and I might not have set the cam button properly, hard to do with the eng in the car.
Old 09-28-2003, 03:43 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

:cheers: Good to hear your up & running again. Sometimes working on the shark is just good experience and winning a repair battle early helps prevents a larger problem later. Let’s face it most of us are addicted to hot-rods, couldn't walk away from this and its more fun fixing them than paying the shop for labor. Having a running car sure helps make performance decisions too. :)
Old 09-28-2003, 05:28 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: The stroker is alive again! (cardo0)

Chris I am going to use a solid roller in my 400 stroker, machinist told me roller cams are safe but have to be set up right. He says most failures occur because of cam walking,the rollers do not like that, that is why I got the Cloyes aluminum timing cover with built in button
Old 09-28-2003, 08:24 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: The stroker is alive again! (MotorHead)

Chris I am going to use a solid roller in my 400 stroker, machinist told me roller cams are safe but have to be set up right. He says most failures occur because of cam walking,the rollers do not like that, that is why I got the Cloyes aluminum timing cover with built in button
That is what I was using. Are your using a production 400 block? I am debating on doing a 383 using a 350 block, a 406 using a stock 400 block or buying an after market block with larger bores. I have a forged 3.75 crank so will be using that no matter what way I go.

Went for a spin and this thing def has more low end than my 350 had. Running lean though so need to do some tuning. I am keeping my fingers crossed but so far so good. :cheers:
Old 09-29-2003, 11:12 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Chris- Glad to hear that everything's cool with the stroker. Do you have the TPI on there or are you just running a carb for break-in?

I've been working on my basement with my spare time/money, so the Vette's been neglected for the last couple of months. I'm waiting to hear back from Scoggin-Dickey about details on the ZZ383 and then decide what I want to do. Right now I'm leaning towards the ZZ383 or HT383 with a cam change. Rumor has it that the ZZ383 comes with Fastburn heads, I don't think that they'll work with Hooker sidepipes. Maybe I'll just sell 'em and buy the AFRs that I want.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:21 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: The stroker is alive again! (Scooter70)

Matt

I am running the iron heads I got with the GM LM1 eng and the Weiand Stealth intake for now. I am still debating my future plans, I might drop this short block in my Formula and build another all forged eng going with a 383 using a stock 350 block, a 406 using a 400 block or buy an aftermarket block and go 427 with larger bores. But for now I am happy I am getting no :smash: from the eng. :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To The stroker is alive again!

Quick Reply: The stroker is alive again!