C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

factory 8-track and external amp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 07:30 PM
SizzleChest
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default factory 8-track and external amp?

is it possible somehow to hook up an external amplifier to my factory 8 track player to improve the sound? I don't think it is, but I thought i'd ask the pros.
Old 10-06-2003, 07:42 PM
blunsford
Racer

Default Re: factory 8-track and external amp? (SizzleChest)

Well, first it won't IMPROVE the sound, it'll just make it louder but you probably know that. A good amp can't make up for crappy frequency response a 8 track gives. It goes back to lousy head alignment that makes all 8 tracks sound marginal.

But to answer your question, yes it's perfectly possible, if not easy to hook up an external amp. Just make sure you have the speakers for it as your factory speakers are likely crap.

My 73 has a place for a factory under dash amp that was apparently added for the right channel when the optional stereo radio was installed. If yours is similar you may be able to use that space for the amp. It is on the passenger side up high under the dash.
Old 10-06-2003, 10:17 PM
SizzleChest
Safety Car

Default Re: factory 8-track and external amp? (blunsford)

My 73 has a place for a factory under dash amp that was apparently added for the right channel when the optional stereo radio was installed. If yours is similar you may be able to use that space for the amp. It is on the passenger side up high under the dash.
Hmmm, I wonder if that is why when I play an 8-track that I only get sound from the left speaker, but when I use the radio, I get sound from both sides :confused:

Get notified of new replies

To factory 8-track and external amp?

Quick Reply: factory 8-track and external amp?