C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST. $745 PART AND LABOR. TO MUCH???

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 09:29 PM
Randy 71
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST. $745 PART AND LABOR. TO MUCH???

VETTERS, It's time for new control arm bushings. Propably ball joints too. Local Vette mechanic want $745 to do the job. $200 in parts and the rest in labor. He also quoted me $950 for control arm bushings, ball joints, tie rod ends and new coil springs. What to you thing?

I am pretty mechanicaly inclined, not sure if I can do this one myself. Would sure like to try. Any comments would be appreciated.

Randy
Old 10-06-2003, 09:49 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST.

You can do this one yourself. It's not hard. You can rent the required tools from Autozone (spring compressor, pickle fork, ball joint press). And you can pay a shop to press the old bushings out and the new ones in. Just give yourself time.

If you have the pros do it, make sure they:

a. Don't bend your control arms
b. Include the cost of an alignment with the quote.

$700 is okay, I guess. That should also include an idler arm, tie rods, and springs though. There is little extra labor, and the parts aren't that bad either. An entire front end kit is about $130, figure another $60 for springs. The rest is labor, plus the alignment.

I say do it yourself. We'll help you through it, and you'll feel like a pro afterwards.

:cheers:
Old 10-06-2003, 10:41 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST. (joeveto)

of your ball joints are original, you can drill the rivets...but it's very rare, the upper joints ever go bad. As Joe mentioned, a machine shop can press the old bushings out, and press the new one in. All the other items, anyone can do.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:13 AM
LiveandLetDrive
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Re: FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST. (GDaina)

What can you do to be sure you don't bend up the arms pressing in the new bushings? I'm about to do this also.

-Chris
Old 10-07-2003, 12:19 AM
Viken
Advanced

i did my front end a while back... replaced bushings, ball joints, and tie rod ends... it wasn't the easiest thing in the world, but i think i'd do it again if it meant saving 700 smackers or so... i managed to get out the old bushings and press in the new ones with a few long screw-clamps and vice... and a hammer... and some pipe... and... well you get the idea... :smash:

i cut some steel and a piece of pipe, and wedged them in the spaces that could be smashed... worked quite well... i think taking out my old wasted ones was harder than installing the new ones... :D

[Modified by Viken, 7:22 PM 10/6/2003]
Old 10-07-2003, 12:47 AM
Randy 71
Racer

Default Re: FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST. (Viken)

How many hours labor you guys think is involved? Do the coil springs need to come out? Is this the time to put new one in while I am there? I think I might just tackle this job.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:38 AM
Viken
Advanced

Default Re: FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST. (Randy 71)

if you get hard at it, depending on how much trouble you run into ofcourse, you shouldn't have too bad a time getting it done in a weekend or so... yeah, coils come out, so might as well replace 'em... i didn't, but now i wish i did... eh, i'll just have to wait... ... mmm... monospring... i don't remember any of the exact details of the work, just that there was a lot of tweaking that i made up as i went...
Old 10-07-2003, 08:40 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST. (Viken)

I can rebuild all 4 for $400 w/rubber bushings. Arms can be powder coated or painted and i rivit the ball joints back in. I can give you free shipping to.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:35 AM
Master Ho
Racer

Default Re: FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST. (Van Steel)

Van Steel, is it possible(or recommended) to straighten a bent lower A-arm? I suspect mine was involved in a pothole hit, because the swaybar attachment point is about an inch rearward of the bar and there are a number of alignment shims on the rear of the A-arm cross shaft, not to mention the negative camber... :(

How can I check the condition of the lower A-arm, short of R&R and comparing it to a new one? Measurements? Triangulation?
Old 10-07-2003, 09:41 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

Default Re: FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST. (Master Ho)

I will mave to get back w/you on measurements b/c I just sent all of my arms to the powder coaters. You could take some heat it and bend it back. Depends on how bad of shape it's in.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:55 PM
adam
Drifting

Default Re: FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST.

$745 is not bad... Its about 12 hours of labor.
Don't know why it would be $200 more for springs, etc...

You can get a kit for $160 + $60 for the springs. That should cover all the parts
of the front end. He should be able to do all the parts for the same labor as
the first quote. All the parts come off, so why charge more to put in new parts?

Now, as others have said, you can do it too! The benefit? You get to clean
the parts, clean the car, cut the springs (if desired), etc. You may want to
do the brakes while everything is apart...

So much fun when you see many pieces laying about.

Old 10-07-2003, 08:54 PM
Randy 71
Racer

Default Re: FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST. (adam)

Ok guys and gals. I am almost conveinced to do it myself. Its getting cold here anyway. Sounds like a good fall/winter project.

I am thinking the rubber kit vice poly. Should I go with a stock coil spring or something else. Might as well put new shocks on it too.......Comments.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:27 PM
Jvette73
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST. (RUXperienced)

What can you do to be sure you don't bend up the arms pressing in the new bushings? I'm about to do this also.

-Chris
I did mine myself and its not all that big of a deal. I clamped the controll arm into the vise clamping on the center portion of the bushing. Then moved it back and forth untill the old factory bushing began to come apart. Then cleaned out all the rubber and left the factory shell in the controll arm. I used afternmarket poly bushings that come seperate from the shells. So I just slid the new bushing into the factory shell and was done with it. No need for pressing at all.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:36 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST. (Randy 71)

Randy, It is a good fall/winter project. Take your time and enjoy it. I learned a lot. Before I touched mine, I knew nothing about front end work.

I went with rubber bushings and stock springs and shocks, I like it. I don't autocross, I just do car shows and light cruising. But that's me.

As others have pointed out, you need to support the inside of the control arms when pressing. Not a big deal. A piece of metal pipe or wood works wonders.

Have Fun. :cheers:
Old 10-08-2003, 09:49 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST. (joeveto)

If you have a torch, you can burn the rubber, but that creates black soot, not bad if done outside. Once the rubber is burned, the casing can be driven out without much effort.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:00 PM
72ls5fla
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

A suggestion ....

Give yourself a couple of weekends and lots of patience.
You can do it yourself. I just did my entire front-end (for restore and freshening up). Not a bad job - just time consuming.

I spent about 245.00 for front end kit and new springs. I also did the PS control valve and PS cylinder too. Figured what the heck - its apart and it is going to go bad soon anyways...

Check the rubber between the steering coupler - replace it if dry rotted
Purchase and replace all bumpers (if not included in kit).

You will need two pickle forks (one for tie rods and one for ball joints).
If you are REAL carefull , you do not need spring compressor - use a 2 ton floor jack (chain the springs to the frame so they dont jump out).

There was a real good topic on front end work couple of days back - worth finding and reading - gave really good practical tips and tricks.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST. $745 PART AND LABOR. TO MUCH???

Quick Reply: FRONT CONTROL ARM BUSHING AND BALL JOINT REPLACEMENT COST. $745 PART AND LABOR. TO MUCH???