C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

VIN location?

Old 10-14-2003, 02:58 PM
Rwdyryd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default VIN location?

A buddy of mine bought a "C3 Racer" last year... He wants to register the car for street use too, but since it's had most of it's body panels replaced or removed to lighted the car he can't find the VIN#. Does the frame have the VIN stamped on it somewhere, or maybe the cowl??

He bought the car as a "racer" has no pink, or plates.... I'm thinking his story about making it legal has more to do with title issues. ; ) I wonder if he bought a mess... :skep:

Bob
Old 10-14-2003, 03:26 PM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: VIN location? (Rwdyryd)

I don't know if it will be the same on his, depending on year, but on my '80 it is on the drivers side windshield pillar. You can see it looking through the windshield, back into the car, on that pillar. I hope that is helpful to him.

Old 10-14-2003, 03:31 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The Vin tag is rivetted to the drivers side winshield frame (vertical).
The VIN # is stamped into the frame rail - on top of the rear kickup on the
drivers side. You usually need to remove the body to see this one - or at least raise it a few inches.

That's it as far as I know. You can buy a piece of WS frame with a clean VIN
attached with title - but that is a gray area as far as legality. Some will argue
that the frame VIN is the one that counts - you just can't see it.

Good luck to him.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:45 PM
sray454
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The frame actually is stamped twice - with a VIN derivative - NOT the vin. One is located on the top of the drivers side frame rail somewhere between the #2 and #3 body mount. Because of it's location, you have to lift the body to find and read it. The second stamp is on the same side, in front of the #4 body mount. You should be able to read it - after cleaning the frame up a bit - with an inspection mirror and a flashlight.

What you find stamped there is the VIN derivative - something like 2SXXXXXX where XXX is the sequential number of the cars' assembly.
Old 10-14-2003, 03:49 PM
Rwdyryd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: VIN location? (NHvette)

Thanks for the info... gotta love this forum. All the answers and quick too! I've told him he should join a couple of times, maybe now he will.

If not, his loss. What a great group of people!!

Bob :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To VIN location?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VIN location?