C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any issues switching to a 400 Block?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 11:14 PM
warhovs
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any issues switching to a 400 Block?

Looking at building a 406 (to swap out my 350 with), just want to check and make sure that there aren't any hidden issues in the change that I'm not aware of in order to plan the job. I'm assuming that after I drill and tap a clutch shaft hole, the 406 should be a drop in replacement (bellhousing, motor mounts, water pump, any tinware I swap, etc.).
:steering:
Old 11-02-2003, 01:35 AM
Glensgages
Race Director

Received 61 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Re: Any issues switching to a 400 Block? (warhovs)

Yes, exterior dimensions of the big-bore Mouse are the same as all small-blocks...
400 CIDs have a tendency to run a bit warmer than 'most' others; is your cooling system up to the task?
Old 11-02-2003, 01:47 AM
The Dude
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure to have a machinist drill the proper steam holes in your heads. Other than that, if your cooling system is in proper working order, you won't have any "issues."

Other than that, the the possibility of a couple of extra freeze plugs, and a new balancer and flexplate (if you have an auto), it's a direct bolt-in. And, since the 400 is a bigger engine, you have to remember it will like bigger parts. This is especially true in the camshaft department. The cam that's really lopey in a 350, for example, will smooth out considerably in a 400.

Have fun.
Old 11-02-2003, 02:59 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

The 400 is externally balanced so you'll need the correct flywheel if you're keeping the stick.(I wish mine was a manual) :yesnod:
Old 11-02-2003, 10:10 AM
Jack71
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any issues switching to a 400 Block? (Glensgages)

Yes, exterior dimensions of the big-bore Mouse are the same as all small-blocks...
400 CIDs have a tendency to run a bit warmer than 'most' others; is your cooling system up to the task?
With deck plugs and steam holes drilled in your heads you shouldn't have any overheating problems with a close to stock motor. I had a 400 in my last vette and the stock radiator handled it fine.

I'm putting a 400 in my current vette now and went with an internally balanced engine. If your building a 406, might as well go with internal balancing.

Strong engines in these cars, you will love it...

Get notified of new replies

To Any issues switching to a 400 Block?

Quick Reply: Any issues switching to a 400 Block?