C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new carb.. which is best??

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 05:40 PM
OneHotV6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need new carb.. which is best??

I need a new carb on my '70 and want to go with an Edlebrock instead of the stock Q-Jet.. I was looking at the performer intake and carb combo but will it fit under the stock hood? Also might go with the Edlebrock Q-Jet and keep the stock intake.. which is a better carb to go with??

Thanks

[Modified by OneHotV6, 5:40 PM 11/2/2003]
Old 11-02-2003, 05:50 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Need new carb.. which is best?? (OneHotV6)

Big block? small block? big block hood? If you have a small block and the LT-1 hood (aka big block hood) you can use some aftermarket stuff. Otherwise you are limited due to hood clearance. A NEW Edelbrock Q-jet is a very good choice and easy to install. Do NOT get an over the counter rebuilt Q-jet. Every one is nothing but trouble. Q-jets rebuilt by Holley are the worst due to some mods that they do.
Old 11-02-2003, 06:00 PM
OneHotV6
Instructor

Default Re: Need new carb.. which is best?? (bluevetteman)

It's a small block with a stock hood.. how hard it it to tune the Edlebrock Q-Jets?
Old 11-02-2003, 06:07 PM
Smokehouse69
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Performer Intake and Carb should fit under your hood fine, there might be some problems with you current Air Cleaner and the Edelbrock Performer Carb (It is actually a Carter AFB variant.)
I'm partial to the Qjet over the AFB, but the Qjet has to be setup right or it just won't perform right.
Contact Lars and see if he'll rebuild your Qjet, he really knows Q-jets and will set it up to perform perfectly on your engine.
Old 11-02-2003, 11:54 PM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

beware, all edlebrocks(as far as i know) havae a tendancy to stall on hard turns and braking, if you plan to autocross stay away from those, you will be double footing all your breakings and turnings. Id go with a holley even thought i dont have any experiance with them.

MAtt
Old 11-03-2003, 12:25 AM
A78Corvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Need new carb.. which is best?? (pillowmeto)

I have a duel line single pump Holly universal or generic fit carb. I don't have the numbers handy. It's a 4 barrel with vacumn secondaries. I have a 350 chevy and intend to add a bigger cam and headers. I already have a wiend intake. I also intend to add a better coil, but the engine is mainly stock. Is this carcerater a pretty good choice? What carb do you prefer?
Old 11-03-2003, 12:37 AM
Clown Puncher
Instructor

I have a 71' 350 with stock hood, and I have an Edelbrock Performer intake and Holly 650 Dominator with Edelbrock 15" air intake. It all fits under stock 350 hood. It may be close, but the hood closes.
Old 11-03-2003, 01:51 AM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Need new carb.. which is best?? (pillowmeto)

beware, all edlebrocks(as far as i know) havae a tendancy to stall on hard turns and braking, if you plan to autocross stay away from those, you will be double footing all your breakings and turnings. Id go with a holley even thought i dont have any experiance with them.

MAtt
I have to disagree with you. I have had a Edelbrock #1901 on my '74 for 6 years and have never had it stall during a autocross on turning or braking or any other type of spirited driving. Best darn street carb I have had on the car. :chevy
Old 11-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Sigforty
Le Mans Master

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

Demons are nice carbs. I have had a 625 road demon on my old 350 and it ran great. Now I have a ZZ4 and the 650 Crate demon for it. I really like the way the carbs look. Plus they have all the improvments for a Holley already built in.
Old 11-03-2003, 09:52 AM
PRESSURERAT
Pro

IMHO, a holley is really hard to beat. They are easy to tune and perform great. A vacuum secondary 750 would work great.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: Need new carb.. which is best?? (Steve Grodin)

MAtt

I have to disagree with you. I have had a Edelbrock #1901 on my '74 for 6 years and have never had it stall during a autocross on turning or braking or any other type of spirited driving. Best darn street carb I have had on the car. :chevy
I agree with Steve. My Edelbrock 1405 has had no issues in several track days at WGI and NHIS. It ran strong right out of the box. If you don't want to pony up the money for the Demon, I highly recommend the Edelbrock performer. (In fact, I think I'm going to step up to the Demon on my new motor and will probably have my 600cfm, mechanical secondaries, no choke Edelbrock for sale.)
Old 11-04-2003, 01:24 PM
OneHotV6
Instructor

Default Re: Need new carb.. which is best?? (Scooter70)

Ok, I found a combo - carb/intake and wanted to know if it'll work without any problems.. It's Edelbrock's 1406 carb and 2101 performer intake.

Will this just bolt on without any modifications and will it perform well?

Thanks!!
Old 11-04-2003, 02:05 PM
SharkintheWoods
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed that combo 4 years ago and have had good luck with it. And it fits under the hood of my 80 with the stock air cleaner. I am in the middle of changing to an rpm air gap and have a performer i could let go of. Unfortunately it has the egr hump on it.

Get notified of new replies

To Need new carb.. which is best??

Quick Reply: Need new carb.. which is best??