C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

General rant

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 04:09 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 444 Likes on 182 Posts

Default General rant

:rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant: :rant:

Had my entire dash, center shifter & e-brake console, as well as steering column out my car to install power brakes, factory alarm, and factory am/fm stereo. Hey, I knew what I was in for, since I've had most of this stuff out before (but never all at the same time). But here's my gripe..............these interiors are really nice looking when they're assembled correctly and when good parts are used. But man! Whoever designed these parts and the way the mount to the chasis must have been on some SERIOUS hallucinogenics! What a cluster $%*# all those vacuum hoses and wires are behind the dash sections. And working with 33 year old plastic requires a delicate touch, something I typically don't have. :D
I'm just about finished reinstalling everything, but damn! I just have to stand back and look at this thing in amazment.

I still love it though! :D

[Modified by ettev, 3:10 PM 11/8/2003]
Old 11-08-2003, 05:45 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: General rant (ettev)

1960's technology at it's best :smash:
Old 11-08-2003, 09:26 PM
standup
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeh....I wonder if the assembly workers at GM had a swearing room....... :)
Old 11-08-2003, 11:19 PM
Rolling Thunder
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03

Considering the fact that they were assembled during the same time as all the hippy vans, etc. I think they did a pretty good job. Just be thankful they were built in St Louis and not in San Francisco. They would have all had peace signs on the outside and a million match stubs in the **** carpeted floor board. :lolg:

I know where you are coming from, I've been wrestling my instrument panel and center console all afternoon.

Dave
Old 11-09-2003, 08:13 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Well, about 2 years ago or so, I had my car entirely apart, and so I put the entire system on a rewiring diet.....engine and interior.....and guess what?? I recovered enough government wiring to make a trade for the computer DPFI harness....I removed about 1/2 a drywall bucket worth of wire outta that thing...allmost enough to do another car.....all sorts of silly things I found in that harness, but the one that sticks out the most is the flasher on the passenger side, two heavy wires run 5' to the right and the flasher on a clip over there, not that flasher weighs about an ounce, soaking wet....so cut the wires back on the driver's side, and let it hang from the harness, which was completely rerouted and taken off the top of the cluster.....
another thing, the cluster lights, instead of having 8 gray wire bulbs for general lighting, hanging there, I installed them all, cut the leads back to a central point, and ran just ONE wire to the harness with a plug on it, for the others, also....the grounds I left the configeration alone.....same thing on the cneter instrumentation console.....I eliminated the P/window relay setup they had entirely, never used it in the first place...my windows work ALL the time...
much more convenient...the list goes on and on,.....

GENE
Old 11-09-2003, 08:23 AM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: General rant (mrvette)

Sounds like some good improvements you've made there, Gene. Each time I'm just happ getting the original stuff back in the right places and working properly! :lol:
Old 11-09-2003, 08:44 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

I recently replaced a broken brake pedal return spring. I had to remove everthing on the driverside dash. I spent 1/2 a day unbolting everything. Once I got the brake pedal assembly out it took 5 minutes to replace the spring and then another half of day bolting everthing back together. :smash:
Old 11-09-2003, 09:36 AM
EDDIEJ82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I feel your pain :sad:

Had mine completly out to fix defroster, felt like doing this :smash:

I guess patience is a virtue when working on a vette, I'm just not very virtueos :D
Old 11-09-2003, 12:07 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

ettev, well after fighting that dash for a bunch of times through the years, I finally got schmardt and decided to redo the damn thing to something approaching common sense....

Look, I have done design/prototype/ready-to-production product development, been throug the entire cycle more than once with a small company with just 3-5 engineers, 2-3 design techs, like me, and so forth....
it is absolutely amazing the amount of sheer documentation necessary to keep on the same track...and old drawings, keep turning up and constatantly being referred to in a pinch, it was a mess....plus I remember one of the design engineers was a terrible drunk, making the mess even worse...they finally fired his axx over that, but it took about 3 years....in a company only 80 people count, that's a LONG time far as I"m concerned.....

so in an operation with , lest we forget 40 years ago, vacuum tube era....I"m surprised they did as well as they did,.....BUT that does not mean there wasn't room from improvement over the decades....so I just rolled my own version of what I think the car could be today, and that's just one aspect of it, and by NO means ever would I consider it a final version....

GENE
Old 11-09-2003, 01:43 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

ettev: LOL...see my sig line. I just removed 5 pounds of vacuum hose and enough copper wire to put up new gutters! I'm about to yank the seat out to connect the dang linkage pin for the master/power booster. I swear they hired elves to work on Vettes. No way humans can work on them confortably!

Dep
Old 11-09-2003, 08:23 PM
ettev
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: General rant (Dep)

I swear they hired elves to work on Vettes. No way humans can work on them confortably!
:D :D
I would love to be able to go back in time to see these production lines at work! It's amazing that they were able to build as many of these things as they did considering all the "goodies" that are in them. Bit, I guess it must have been pretty easy if it wass sequenced correctly.

Get notified of new replies

To General rant

Quick Reply: General rant