C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator & Shroud install

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 11:46 AM
dvdbrwn69
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator & Shroud install

I am having great difficulty installing my new shroud and radiator, after installing a new radiator core support.

My 69 small block with air, copper radiator without tank and plastic one piece shroud. Support is in. What is the trick to getting the radiator and new shroud back in without cutting the shroud like the previous owner had done?
Old 11-09-2003, 12:10 PM
Captain Morgan
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Default Re: Radiator & Shroud install (dvdbrwn69)

I would first suggest putting a piece of cardboard over the radiator to protect the fins. Then, get some friends to help you. I don't know how much difference there is with the 69 and my 79, but I had friends holding the radiator from the top and I wrestled with it from underneath. Some have also suggested installing the shroud and radiator as one unit, so you may want to try that as well.
Old 11-09-2003, 12:49 PM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Radiator & Shroud install (Captain Morgan)

Best way I found out to install the radiator and shroud....install both as a unit, at the same time.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:44 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

I take the fan off. Install the shroud first. Then, the radiator. Finally, install the fan and clutch last.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:23 PM
dvdbrwn69
4th Gear

Thanks for the replies. I managed to get it in finally by steamlining my cardboard wrap, inserting the shroud drivers side in fully but the passenger side pulled back so I could insert the radiator return pipe under the a-frame, then managed to work the radiator and shroud into correct position. It was tight, but it worked.

My next try was going to be removing the side support screws and loosening the bottom and straitening the core support to free up more space. After the difficult time I had getting the support holes to line up I was hoping not to do that!

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator & Shroud install

Quick Reply: Radiator & Shroud install