C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ques. on Threaded Toe adjustment in the rear - NO Shims!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 04:30 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ques. on Threaded Toe adjustment in the rear - NO Shims!!!

Who has experience with the threaded toe adjustment for the rear wheels. This part partially welds to the frame, and eliminates the need for shims. I've seen them for sale through Guldstrand, but that is it. They installed one on the L-88 car on Dream Car Garage... Since I've got the body off the frame, now is the time to install if I'm going to...

Who has it? What do you think?

Second related question: Anyone use the spherical joint on the rear trailing arms? How much more vibration does it pass through? I would assume it is not going to be so great for the street, but want to check first....
Old 11-16-2003, 04:44 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Ques. on Threaded Toe adjustment in the rear - NO Shims!!! (75 BBC Stingray)

75BBC,
"My opinion" (for what it`s worth!!). On the street both are a waste, on the track both are desired BUT there is (or was) a better designed spherical joint sold by Global West that actually used a spherical joint captured in a piece of tubing that got welded into the t-arm, I have the Global joints on my racer with t-arm shims but the next project (sitting in my barn right now) will get the Global (style) joints with the Guldstrand adjusters (I have a set of those also). ...redvetracr
Old 11-16-2003, 04:45 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: Ques. on Threaded Toe adjustment in the rear - NO Shims!!! (75 BBC Stingray)

I like the top ones. That looks like it would make an alignment better and easier on the shop doing the alignment.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:52 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Ques. on Threaded Toe adjustment in the rear - NO Shims!!! (Eddie 70)

I like the threaded toe adjusters, although I've never heard of them before now. How much $$$ for a set of them anyway?

-Justin
Old 11-16-2003, 08:27 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Are these the same thing as threaded strut rods?

I replaced my stock struts with Vette Brake poly bushing'd threaded struts. I love the quality and the results.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:59 PM
ddecart
Team Owner

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
SPARTAN
CI 3-4-5-6-8-9-10 Vet
CI-9 AutoX Winner
CI-3 Go Kart Champ
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Default Re: Ques. on Threaded Toe adjustment in the rear - NO Shims!!! (Larry82)

Are these the same thing as threaded strut rods?

I replaced my stock struts with Vette Brake poly bushing'd threaded struts. I love the quality and the results.
Close but not quite. These mount at the front of the trailing arm where it goes into the frame. Instead of using shims, there's a threaded piece to move the front of the t-arm right & left to adjust toe.

Putting a spherical joint or cross-axis ball joint would be interesting. It'd transmit a LOT more noise to the car and would increase the loads that are seen at that joint. Can't see how that'd be a good thing on a street car.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:58 AM
Chris O'
Burning Brakes

It HAS to be easier than swapping shims from side to side - your alignment guy will thank you! :yesnod:
Old 11-17-2003, 04:30 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Ques. on Threaded Toe adjustment in the rear - NO Shims!!! (Chris O')

What are the odds you could adjust those after a couple of years of driving? If you use enough anti-seize to prevent freeze up, do they retain their adjustment? Couple of things to think about before you throw out those shims.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:57 PM
75 BBC Stingray
Racer

Default Re: Ques. on Threaded Toe adjustment in the rear - NO Shims!!! (FeedVaal)

Good point. Thanks for all of the replies... I'll have to think about this a little...
BTW, I found this photo, which shows the TA and joint together.

[Modified by 75 BBC Stingray, 7:01 PM 11/17/2003]

Get notified of new replies

To Ques. on Threaded Toe adjustment in the rear - NO Shims!!!

Quick Reply: Ques. on Threaded Toe adjustment in the rear - NO Shims!!!