C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you adjust "T" tops to fit properly

Old 11-16-2003, 11:04 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How do you adjust "T" tops to fit properly

Been in a frame off for a couple of years now. I went to install the T tops freshly painted and new weatherstripping and I have gaps on the windshields side of both of them. I loosened all the hardware on them hoping they would settle in but no dice. I have to push down on the back side and in where the pin goes in the hole. It seems like the top is longer side to side than it use to be.When I do, it bows the top up in the front causing a gap. Is there a site that fully explains the adjustments somewhere?
What am I missing here???
Thanks for any help
Neil in Tenn

[Modified by Nomad78SA, 5:42 AM 11/17/2003]
Old 11-17-2003, 11:39 AM
SnoDrgn
Team Owner

Location: Swords Check/Saws Check/Clubs Check/Claws Check/Hatred Check/Anger Check/Murmaid Check/Murder Check
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran

Default Re: How do you adjust "T" tops to fit properly (Nomad78SA)

:lurk:
Old 11-17-2003, 02:07 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is just a guess but are you sure the body was properly supported while it was off the frame. I'm thinking that maybe the birdcage got bent.

Also, it the weather stripping properly installed.

Old 11-17-2003, 02:35 PM
randy814u
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: How do you adjust "T" tops to fit properly (6t9l4t6)

I sort of have the same problem with mine. I did not do a frame off, just new paint and new stripping. I have not messed with it to see what it is going to take to get everything lined up, so I will watch this thread.
:lurk:
Old 11-17-2003, 07:36 PM
Nomad78SA
Drifting

Default Re: How do you adjust "T" tops to fit properly (randy814u)

This is just a guess but are you sure the body was properly supported while it was off the frame. I'm thinking that maybe the birdcage got bent.
Also, it the weather stripping properly installed.

Yes, the body was supported well on a dolly that ran down the frame rails and between the compartments as well as the front. The one that changed was that I had a new windshield installed but that was after I put it back on the chassis.
I went and loosened up all the details again. It appears I need to shim the 2 tabs that go into the center T section. Each one had one shim but when I loosened them the door side front did not bow as much. I moved the latch assembly around some and was able to hit the top hole much easier and I loosened the back pin detail and adjusted it some. I realize with new weatherstripping things are going to be tight in places anyway.
After doing all that I still have about a 2-3 inch area that does not seal on the windshield area just past the corner moulding toward the center.

I did not install the weatherstripping but the guy who painted the vette. I looked how it was installed and wondered if it should be glued to the top of the T top. Seeing how it attaches with pins on a piece that hangs down I figure it should be glued there. I peeled it loose from the top some to let it relax down some and the gap closed quite a bit. Now I have a small spot above the corner moulding where it meets the center section. I will give it a rest for now and let the tops just be attached some to see if the tops will flex down some. I placed a couple of heavy items on the top to help in assisting this. I put a soft towel down first anyway.
I will see if I can get some good feedback on what I may need to do on this...
Neil in Tenn

[Modified by Nomad78SA, 6:41 PM 11/17/2003]
Old 11-17-2003, 11:04 PM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Your on the right track. To get my t-tops to fit was a two week process. After installing new WS, I cut some shims for the bayonets and installed so everything just touched. After a couple of days in the sun, I removed a shim to tighten a tad and let it sit again. At the end of two weeks I had the WS conformed, tightened all adjustments and was watertight.

Get notified of new replies

To How do you adjust "T" tops to fit properly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How do you adjust "T" tops to fit properly