C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This is worth a giggle

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 10:06 AM
honaker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is worth a giggle

Borrowed my wife`s Geo Metro tonight. One liter of raw power, Three cylinders of asphalt-tearing terror on thirteen-inch rims. It`s stock, alright, nothing done to it, but it pushes the barely 2000 pounds of metro around with AUTHORITY. I`m always catching mopeds and 18-wheelers by surprise... I was headed back from Baskin Robbins with my manly triple-latte cappuccino blast ("No Cinnamon, ma`am, I take it BLACK"), when I stopped at a streetlight. As the Metro throbbed its throaty idle around me, I sipped my bold beverage and wiped the white froth my stiff upper lip. I was minding my own business, but then I heard a rev from the next lane. I turned, made eye contact, then let my eyes trace over the competition. Ford Festiva - a late model, could be trouble. Low profile tires, curb feelers, and schoolbus-yellow paint. Yep, a hot rod, for sure. The howl of his motor snapped my reverie, and I looked back into the driver`s eyes, nodded, then blipped my own throttle. As I tugged on my driving gloves and slipped on my sunglasses (gotta look cool to be fast, and I am damn cool, hence...), the night was split with the sound of seven screaming cylinders... Then the light turned... I almost had him out of the hole, my three pounding cylinders thrusting me at least a millimeter back into my seat, as smoke pouring from my front right tire... my unlimited slip differential was letting me down! I saw in the corner of my eyes, a yellow snout gaining, and I heard the roar of his four cylinders. He slung by me, right front wheel juddering against the pavement, and he flashed me a smile as his .7 extra liters of motor stretched its legs. I kept my foot gamely in it, though, waiting for the CHECK ENGINE light to blink on in the one-gauge (no tachometer here!) instrument panel. I saw a glimpse of chrome under his bumper, and knew the ugly truth... He was running a custom exhaust-probably a 2-into-1 dual exhaust...maybe even cutouts! Damn his hot-rod soul! The old lady passing us on the crosswalk cast a dirty look in our boy-racer direction... Yet still I persisted, with my three pumping pistons singing a heady high-pitched song, wound fully out. Though only a few handfuls of seconds had passed, we were nearing the crosswalk at the other side of the intersection, and I heard the note of his engine change as he made his shift to second, and I saw his grin in his rearview mirror fade as he missed the shift! I rocketed by, shifting, and nursed the clutch gently in to keep from bogging, keeping my motor spinning hot and pulling me ahead, now trailing a cloud of stinking clutch smoke. Not ready to give up so easily, he left his foot in it, revving, and I heard one wheel almost chirp as he finally found second and dropped the clutch. We careened over the crosswalk, now going at least 15 miles per hour. A bicyclist passed us, but intent on the race as we were, neither of us batted an eye. He pulled slowly abreast of me, and neck and neck, we made the shift to third, the scream of motors deafening all pedestrians within a five foot circle. He nosed ahead as we passed 30 miles an hour, then eased in front of me, taunting, as we shifted into fourth. I was staring up the dual 6" chrome tips of his exhaust, snarling, my cappuccino forgotten, as he lifted a little to take the next corner. I saw my opportunity, and counting on the innate agility of my trusty steed, I pulled wide into the number two lane and kept my foot buried in carpet. Slowly, I inched around him, feeling my Metro roll slowly to the left as I came abreast in the midst of this gradual sweeping turn. I felt the Geo ease onto its suspension stops, and felt the right rear wheel slowly leave the ground - no matter, though, because my drive wheels, up front, were pulling me through the corner, and around the Festiva... The Ford driver beat his wheel in rage as my wife`s car eased past him on the outside, my P165/85R13`s screaming in protest, as we raced to the next light. We coasted down, neck-and neck, to the red light. I tightened my driving gloves, ready for another round, when this WIMP in the next car meekly flipped his turn signal and made a right. Chevy (Suzuki) superiority reigns!!! I drove off sipping my masculine drink, awash in my sheer virility, looking for other unwitting targets...
Old 11-17-2003, 10:16 AM
docmow
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Re: This is worth a giggle (honaker)

oh the memories for you old age and the gult that you must nom have for
you never want you son know alout coffe induced fun and shame you now must have docmow
Old 11-17-2003, 10:19 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Giggle. :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 11-17-2003, 10:23 AM
79 Midnight Blue L82
Instructor

This is a great story of a nerve-wracking high speed clutch burning "kill", but, where is the picture of the victorious Metro. You know we love pictures on here :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 11-17-2003, 10:23 AM
dmrodco
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :rofl: :rofl: Holy poopie I almost pissed my pants I laughed so hard !!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-17-2003, 10:56 AM
pillowmeto
Le Mans Master

Default Re: This is worth a giggle (dmrodco)

:lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
you are an awsome writer

MAtt
Old 11-17-2003, 10:56 AM
Crash80
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: This is worth a giggle (dmrodco)

I too, almost wet myself like a school girl, from the laughter! Oh this story is killing me! :lolg:

Old 11-17-2003, 11:24 AM
Fevre
Race Director

:lolg:

Good thing you guys where in a Metro and Festiva or that might be considered street racing. Not really a kill story, more like a stern insult. :)
Old 11-17-2003, 11:32 AM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Default Re: This is worth a giggle (Fevre)

Ohh that is hilarious, and I have a friend who keeps telling me he can take my vette with his metro!!! :lol:
Old 11-17-2003, 11:36 AM
7vette2
Instructor

Funny stuff!! Thanks for the laughs. :lol:
Old 11-17-2003, 12:41 PM
Brettmc
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worth more than 1 giggle!! :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:

Brett :thumbs:
Old 11-17-2003, 12:45 PM
427V8
C6 the C5 of tomorrow
Support Corvetteforum!

: Not really a kill story, more like a stern insult. :)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Old 11-17-2003, 01:08 PM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Laughed so hard I cried
:lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
Old 11-17-2003, 04:31 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: This is worth a giggle (Fast81)

That boy needs more stickers. Good story. I printed this off and showed the guys at work. We had a good laugh too.
Old 11-17-2003, 04:46 PM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor
Default Re: This is worth a giggle (Eddie 70)

I was waiting for the mods to step in and shut this thread down for street racing until the bicycler passed'em up. :lol:

Very funny! Kudos!
Old 11-17-2003, 09:03 PM
jpatrick636
Drifting

You won't believe this, but the exact same thing happened to me yesterday except I had cinnamon in my lotte. :thumbs:
Old 11-17-2003, 09:07 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

Default Re: This is worth a giggle (TedH)

Giggle. :lolg: :lolg: :lolg:
:withstupid: :lolg: :lolg:

Get notified of new replies

To This is worth a giggle

Old 11-17-2003, 09:17 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Just Remember - SPEED KILLS, so you should be able to live a long and prospers life! :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: :lolg: By the way, was that bicycle a Schwinn or a Huffy? You got to watch out for them Huffy's, they can build some pretty good speed! :lol:

[Modified by Pete79L82, 6:32 AM 11/18/2003]
Old 11-18-2003, 05:17 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Classic. :smash:
Old 11-18-2003, 05:29 AM
C3 - 81
Instructor

Default Re: This is worth a giggle (Pete79L82)

Your've got my speed adrenalin pump-in, nice story.

Quick Reply: This is worth a giggle