C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Walmart Diesel Oil States that it was Tested to 1-Millon Miles

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 10:55 AM
Bad-79
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walmart Diesel Oil States that it was Tested to 1-Millon Miles

How true is this, does this mean that if we change our engine oil to Walmar's Diesle engine oil and we can drive our cars upto 1 million miles between oil changes. Diesel engine oil must be some great stuff. So would you use diesle engine oil in your vette??????
Old 11-25-2003, 12:19 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Walmart Diesel Oil States that it was Tested to 1-Millon Miles (Bad-79)

For every vehicle I've ever own, I have used a good 10W30 and religously changed every 3K miles. In reading post here on the Forum, I've been convenienced to use Mobil 1 syn after building my 355 for my '79. However, I'll absolutely NOT EVER go beyond 5K-6K miles with it. The 1-million miles is pure :bs IMHO. Party on :party:
Old 11-25-2003, 01:08 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Walmart Diesel Oil States that it was Tested to 1-Millon Miles (Bad-79)

:eek:

I'll bet they meant they got 1 million miles out of a diesel motor with regular oil changes. :skep:
Old 11-25-2003, 01:12 PM
77L82_4speed
Advanced

Default Re: Walmart Diesel Oil States that it was Tested to 1-Millon Miles (isosceles)

I'll bet they meant they got 1 million miles out of a diesel motor with regular oil changes. :skep:
:iagree:

I can't imagine anyone leaving the same oil in an engine for 1M miles. I read an oil test on Mobil 1 when they ran oil analysis tests every 1K to see when it actually broke down. At around 16-17K, it started to break down. 1 million miles without changing, no way!
Old 11-25-2003, 01:14 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Walmart Diesel Oil States that it was Tested to 1-Millon Miles (marshrat99)

I have not seen the ad you are referring to, but I know about the heavy truck industry. A heavy truck will go a lot longer between oil changes than a small car; for one reason they have more capacity, roughly 9 gallons on a small delivery truck to 11 gallons for an over-the-road truck. I think most recommendations are changes fron 20,000 to 30,000 miles generally. Some trucking companies inject a mist of old oil in with the fuel to burn it and add new oil to the pan to keep the additives fresh and not have to dispose of old oil. They might go a million miles without technically changing it, but it's not quite the same. In that case they still change the filters, but they don't have to deal with all the old oil. New catalytic mufflers are going to put an end to that as too much oil clogs the catalyst.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:19 PM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

I don't know about the 1M miles but many people swear by the CD additive package found in diesel oils such as 15W-40. It apparently is superior to normal oils as it is designed to cope with the severe service conditions commonly experienced by diesel-powered vehicles.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:43 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know that with marine diesels they can go a very long time; BUT, they carry much more in the sump, measured in gallans, not quarts. They also have large filters that scrub the oil. I know we have all heard that it is not so much that the oil breaks down but that it becomes contaminated with other stuff.

If I could fit a 5-10 gallon holding tank for my oil and use a canister filter the size of my rear storage compartment, I could go a very long way too between oil changes.

Chuck
Old 11-25-2003, 02:01 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just think, Wal-Mart diesle oil and a K&N air filter. If you could find a set of plugs that would last as long you might never have to open the hood again. :D
Old 11-25-2003, 02:26 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Walmart Diesel Oil States that it was Tested to 1-Millon Miles (isosceles)

:iagree:

1 million miles on a diesel engine is commonplace. As everyone pointed out:

- their oil pans are huge
- they usually are running on steady state, long haul trips
- these are diesel engines, not gasoline
- the run at much lower RPMs

etc., etc...
Old 11-25-2003, 02:32 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Walmart Diesel Oil States that it was Tested to 1-Millon Miles (paul67)

I don't know about the 1M miles but many people swear by the CD additive package found in diesel oils such as 15W-40. It apparently is superior to normal oils as it is designed to cope with the severe service conditions commonly experienced by diesel-powered vehicles.
The 15/40 or EOK/2 oil series was developed for severe use . The million mile statement simply means that engines using this oil have run for a million miles without a major tear down . These oils have been available for 20 + years and work just fine in gasoline engines . I use it in all my vehicles .

geo
Old 11-25-2003, 04:43 PM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Walmart Diesel Oil States that it was Tested to 1-Millon Miles (ram82fire)

Diesel oils have a lubricity rating of SL.

What is the highest on either synthetic or dino oils? Not SL.

Run SL in my car w/very good results.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:16 PM
killain
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 512 Likes on 312 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
Oldtimer

I'm sure they meant they got a million miles out of an engine run on that oil and changed regularly. Besides Diesel motor oil is very different from gasoline engine oil. There's no detergent and there's special additives in that kind of oil that are not ment for a gasoline engine.
Old 11-25-2003, 05:19 PM
VettePower
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Walmart Diesel Oil States that it was Tested to 1-Millon Miles (Larry82)

So what we are saying here is that Diesel oil is better than say Quaker State or Castrol??
Old 11-26-2003, 01:39 AM
boredsoIstrokedit
Racer

Actually, some trucks do have MILLION mile change intervals. With a bypass filter that is changed regularly and the afforementioned HUGE sumps. They really can and do go that long between changes. I had never heard of the mist of oil burning before. Sounds like a great Idea. MANY, MANY of the OTR diesel engines go beyond 2,000,000 miles before anything but a "top-ender" on them. I have never used diesel oil in my cars, but in my gasser trucks, I have. Works fine. Look into DELVAC 1 If you are interested in full synthetic, and the EXCELLENT properties of diesel oil. Also, as mentioned before, we are in for a DRASTIC change. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Walmart Diesel Oil States that it was Tested to 1-Millon Miles

Quick Reply: Walmart Diesel Oil States that it was Tested to 1-Millon Miles