C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator Best price-Best quality

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 04:17 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Radiator Best price-Best quality

Who sells a good radiator at a fair price, for a 75 ?
?
Old 11-25-2003, 04:20 PM
Stewart's74
Safety Car

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Re: Radiator Best price-Best quality (Phil Zell)

Do you have an auto or stick?
I'm happy with my Griffin Aluminum Rad. :yesnod:
Old 11-25-2003, 04:22 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

You will get a lot of response on this one. I bought my radiator from DeWitts. It is not the cheapest out there, but it did drop right in and works like a champ. Car never got over 200 all summer in the heat cruising 30mph or 70mph. I am well pleased with my purchase. Give Tom a call and he will set you up with what is best for your car. :thumbs:
Old 11-25-2003, 04:27 PM
Maurice
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Radiator Best price-Best quality (Eddie 70)

I couldnt be happier with my DeWitts also. It was also the cheapest aluminum radiator with electric fans package I could find. Plus it sure is pretty, that gotta be worth something.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:53 PM
Phil Zell
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Radiator Best price-Best quality (Stewart's74)

Automatic
Old 11-25-2003, 06:14 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

If you're looking for aluminum I think DeWitts is the best too but I'm probably a lttle bias. A lot of places offer a 69-82 radiator but it's impossible for all these to be the correct size. We have (5) models for that era and all of them are very different. One thing we do that no one else does is include the left corner relief for hood hinge clearence. Without it, some cars can't close the hood.

I forgot to mention, we have a few Griffins left and we are blowing them out on ebay as well as our own models. Take a look, you might save some $$$

[Modified by Tom DeWitt, 5:17 PM 11/25/2003]
Old 11-25-2003, 06:27 PM
77Dream
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Radiator Best price-Best quality (Tom DeWitt)

I got my rad from Tom Dewitt and love it. Its the easiest install of them all and the highest quality I have seen. Their are some cheaper alternatives but the rad is too important to cheap-out on. Plus you can tech support from Tom through this site. :thumbs:
Old 11-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: Radiator Best price-Best quality (77Dream)

Considering the quality I think the price is fair with DeWitt. I am VERY happy with rad spal fan combo from DeWitts.

that said...

If you are looking for very inexpensive you could have yours re-cored. There was a TX or AZ forum member who did that and he has no problems in 100+ summer temps.

I think Gransport C3 had good luck with a generic fit Griffin rad in his car.

~Jay
Old 11-25-2003, 07:28 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 183 Likes on 86 Posts

Default Re: Radiator Best price-Best quality (Tom DeWitt)

I bought from Tom. Tom was helpful on the phone and on the forum.

The radiator was high quality, well packed and shipped, great looking, perfect fit...the only negative was it lacked a drain plug...a several hundred dollar radiator with a $2 hole in the bottom. :nonod:

I haven't been able to do more than a few trips around the block, but the temp looks good. :cheers:
Old 11-25-2003, 08:23 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Radiator Best price-Best quality (foundvettelifeisgood)

I bought a rad-dual fan setup from Tom just recently. My petcock was taped to the relay package. Maybe you have to buy the fans in order to get the radiator plug! :confused: :D :jester . Seriously, everything was a top notch product and easy installation. The fan sensor cut on at 195 just like it was calibrated with my temp sensor and gauge. Tom has a really good product that can't be beat IMO! :thumbs:
Old 11-26-2003, 08:01 AM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Re: Radiator Best price-Best quality (Older Than Dirt)

I too bought my Griffin from DeWitts. Very happy with it.
Old 11-26-2003, 10:32 AM
Tominator
Drifting

Automatic
One thing to remember is a lot of the genric rad. don't have hook ups for an auto tran.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:08 PM
C3w4sp
Pro

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

You don't need to look any further that DeWitts. Drove all summer, temp never went over 190. Fit right in, Toms customer service was excellent!
Old 11-26-2003, 04:20 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Radiator Best price-Best quality (foundvettelifeisgood)

I bought from Tom. Tom was helpful on the phone and on the forum.

The radiator was high quality, well packed and shipped, great looking, perfect fit...the only negative was it lacked a drain plug...a several hundred dollar radiator with a $2 hole in the bottom. :nonod:

I haven't been able to do more than a few trips around the block, but the temp looks good. :cheers:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122

Have used this many times to drain my rad since it has no petcock. Pricey but I got it as a gift.
Old 11-26-2003, 04:24 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Default Re: Radiator Best price-Best quality (Fevre)

http://www.griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?&SKU=10122

Have used this many times to drain my rad since it has no petcock. Pricey but I got it as a gift.
:cheers:
And here I've been loosening the lower hose clamp and sticking a screwdriver in the hose to drain mine all this time.... :jester :conehead
Old 11-26-2003, 05:45 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Radiator Best price-Best quality

First, let me add my two cents. I've been looking at Be Cool radiators & fans for my car. I'm on a pretty tight budget because my car is getting a rebuilt engine, new exhaust system, new suspension, etc; whatever money I can save I will. I've got very low income being a part-time worker and full-time student. What I've estimated for my car is over $1700, probably closer to $2k. It takes me a few months to get $500 saved up, let alone doing that four-fold (my car has been down almost a year because of it.)

From what I understand, Be Cool's are of good enough quality a few of the guys on this forum have used them and are happy. Some magazine write ups (like Hot Rod, Car Craft, etc.) will also use a Be Cool when they build a hot rod or a restoration project for example. I can get a system with dual fans sent to me for just a hair over $700 before the Be Cool rebates. I've got a '69 with a manual transmission and a 350 SB.

I only found out about Tom's setup while reading this thread; sounds pretty cool. If I could get a DeWitt's package for circa Be Cool's price, I wouldn't mind having the "drop in" feature. However, I know this would be a good chunk of change and that buisnesses need income to survive. If it can't be done, that's okay by me too.

Does anyone know the cfm pull of the stock belt driven fan? I see that generally 13" fans are rated around 1700 cfm, 16" fans are close to 2300 cfm and dual 11" fans are in the neighborhood of 2700 cfm. Awesome! So what do I compare those numbers to :confused:

[Modified by 1969Vette350, 2:55 PM 11/26/2003]
Old 11-26-2003, 05:51 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Radiator Best price-Best quality (Scooter70)

The radiator has the drain hole, but no plug to put in the hole. I had to use the old one or get a new one. No big deal, I just thought it should come with a nice new one. Very minor complaint. I'm very satisfied with the radiator and Tom DeWitt.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Best price-Best quality

Old 11-26-2003, 06:26 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Radiator Best price-Best quality (1969Vette350)

First, let me add my two cents. I've been looking at Be Cool radiators & fans for my car. I'm on a pretty tight budget because my car is getting a rebuilt engine, new exhaust system, new suspension, etc; whatever money I can save I will. I've got very low income being a part-time worker and full-time student. What I've estimated for my car is over $1700, probably closer to $2k. It takes me a few months to get $500 saved up, let alone doing that four-fold (my car has been down almost a year because of it.)
On a tight budget, I'm not sure why you'd go with electric fans. Cost and electrical draw are the 2 reasons I stuck with my water pump fan. I'm confident that I will have no cooling issues with my new aluminum radiator and the stock fan set up.

Old 11-26-2003, 06:54 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Radiator Best price-Best quality

I would make the switch over to electric fans because I am switching over to an aluminum radiator anyway, my belt driven fan is old and in sorry shape and my current fan shroud isn't right for the car... my fan would keep scraping along the shroud.

With an aluminum radiator and electric fan(s) I don't have to deal with my sorry fan, the incorrect shroud can get tossed/donated/sold or whatever and my car is more ready for future enhancements; it builds in some margin for improvement.

I have a friend who does very good electrical work who will help with the install and an electric fan setup doesn't steal so much power from the engine. Besides, the holiday season is coming and all I asked for was that green stuff :thumbs: I have close to $600 saved already and between now and the new year I should be all set. I'll probably be buying my parts in two major chunks: "engine rebuild" and "cooling/exhaust systems"

[Modified by 1969Vette350, 3:57 PM 11/26/2003]
Old 11-26-2003, 08:04 PM
foundvettelifeisgood
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Radiator Best price-Best quality (1969Vette350)

... my belt driven fan is old and in sorry shape and my current fan shroud isn't right for the car... my fan would keep scraping along the shroud.
Understood...good luck. Should be a nice set up. :cheers:

Quick Reply: Radiator Best price-Best quality