C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheel bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 08:04 PM
aardvark
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear wheel bearings?

I have a louder than normal roaring sound from the rear of my 73. Any thoughts on what this might be? I was thinking maybe the wheel bearings need to be replaced.
Old 11-27-2003, 08:23 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: Rear wheel bearings? (aardvark)

It is quit possible it is a rear wheel bearing but unless you are handy and ready for a really tough job better get a mechanic to fix it , one that is totally familiar with your car. The average mechanic wouldn't have a clue.
It is quit costly.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:17 AM
Wrecked82
Le Mans Master

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Default Re: Rear wheel bearings? (norvalwilhelm)

The average mechanic wouldn't have a clue. It is quit costly.
Norval is quite right. Had mine done by a mechanic that did not know how to set the bearings up correctly. After several months, one failed. Also caused air in brakes. Had new bearing assy's and o-ring calipers installed by a competent mechanic. Yes, expensive.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:42 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

aardvark I don't know how capable you are and this is a difficult job for the amature but if money is really tight and you really want to tackle it yourself it is possible and we all have to learn or pay and if you want to learn give it a try and let us talk you through it.
This is something that will take you weeks/month taking a set at a time.
I would gladly help with advice. I have done many of them and understand what is need as do alot of others on this forum.
YOu will pay either with money or your own sweat. You decide.
Have a nice day
I would gladly let you email me at home asking any questions you like.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:51 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

I've done three of four of my cars this way. Take the bearing carrier away from the trailing arm and send to Bair's. They service wheel bearings for $150 per side providing all your parts are "servicable". You get your unit back looking like an NOS piece, and to me, it was well worth it.
Old 11-28-2003, 12:27 PM
aardvark
Intermediate

Default Re: Rear wheel bearings? (Paul Borowski)

I appreciate everyone's help. I think my best bet is to have them seviced by Van Steel or Bairs. Now if I only knew how and what to take off. Is there any instructions out there anywhere?
Old 11-28-2003, 01:04 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Default Re: Rear wheel bearings? (Paul Borowski)

Paul I have done the stock units and machined my own custom axles and oversize bearings. $150 per side is very expensive for me. Their are only 2 bearings worth about $10 each, 2 seats $5 each and 2 seals, another $5. That's about $30 per side for parts, the rest is labor. If you have a press it is simple enough to do if you know the theory on what you are trying to do. For someone with your knowledge I am suprised you don't do it all yourself.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:43 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

For someone with your knowledge I am suprised you don't do it all yourself.
:lolg: :lolg: :lolg: I guess I would say I'm more "lazy" to do it. I even started to buy the tools to do it, but then saw how these come back from Bair's when a friend had his done there-that changed my mind. They do more than just change the bearing. They dissassemble everything, re-assemble with all brand new bearings, backing plates, spindle nuts, cotterpins & seals. To me, it's well worth the $150 per side.
Old 11-28-2003, 05:48 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

The rear wheel bearing assembly, and the setup thereof, appears to have way too much Mechanic VooDoo involved for me to attempt the repair. I believe I shelled out $250 for my mechanic to do mine. The next time, I'll consider Van Steel or the others. But like Paul, I really just don't want to mess with it.
Old 11-28-2003, 09:43 PM
jims73
Intermediate

I am the second owner of a 44,000 mile '73 coupe that was driven up until this year. It currently sits with the body off and the frame stripped of components. I am now starting the TA disassembly process. As far as I can tell, the rear bearings, along with almost everything else, have never been serviced. It would be a shame to replace perfectly good bearings if they are serviceable. Does the following process make sense?

- make sure bearing end play and rotor runout is within limits before disassembly
- press out spindle
- clean and inspect spindle and bearings while leaving outboard bearing installed
- if OK, grease and re-install inboard bearing with new seal after related TA parts are painted

I would appreciate comments as I have lots of time to try and do this right the first time.

[Modified by jims73, 2:46 AM 11/29/2003]
Old 11-29-2003, 08:12 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Default Re: Rear wheel bearings? (jims73)

jim73 it is a good plan. The part about checking play before taking apart. I do not know how to look at a bearing and decide if it is still good. Get the part numbers off the bearing and any bearing supply house sells new bearings and races cheap. If I was going to the trouble of taking it apart I would replace. For $30CDN per side a bearing supply house will have the bearings/seat/seals.
Stay away from the deal on these parts. The price skyrockets.
I also like to polish the inner bearing mount to make the bearing slid on easier.
I drilled and installed grease fittings on the carrier for future greasing but you have to be careful on how much grease you pump in or you will blow the seals.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:49 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,335 Posts

As Norval said, if you're going to remove the bearings, then replace them. I wouldn't reuse them once you pressed them off. The pressure required to remove them would probably damage them anyway. Ck the archives there's a ton of info there.
Good luck,
Gary
Old 11-29-2003, 01:28 PM
jims73
Intermediate

Default Re: Rear wheel bearings? (gtr1999)

Thanks for the response and I agree, the archives are great on this topic. I think you guys have me going in the right direction.
Old 11-29-2003, 01:57 PM
jims73
Intermediate

Gary, I found an archive post in which you discussed photos of the rear bearing set-up process. Are the photos still available? It would be much appreciated as the GM service manual is a little short on detail.

Thanks
Jim
Old 11-29-2003, 02:18 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Jim I think I still have them at work. If not I can scan pictueres of the rear bearings and parts from the last car I did. Let me know what you need.
Gary
Old 11-30-2003, 09:44 AM
jims73
Intermediate

Gary, if the photos are handy, send them over to "jsorokan@sympatico.ca". I'm on a DSL, so file size is not a problem.

Thanks much.
Jim

[Modified by jims73, 2:46 PM 11/30/2003]
Old 11-30-2003, 10:39 AM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Jim, I just sent you some pictures. Let me know that you get them ok and if you could, post them here so it will help others.
gary

Get notified of new replies

To Rear wheel bearings?

Old 11-30-2003, 11:59 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The name of the game is to have the proper tools....I was at Bairs and had the opportunity to observe the break down process....a sledge hammer and a sleeve that's screwed on the axle...this piece is available from any vette vendor, a couple good whacks and voila...all appart. The most difficult procedure is shimming, the know how, everything else is a walk in the park.

All the tools to break down the axle assemblies and assemble, are available from the vendors, unless you are handy to make your own tools and jigs
Old 11-30-2003, 12:40 PM
mga1x
Advanced

if you don't mind getting dirty, it's not that bad of a job. if you don't have all the tools, you can remove the spindles with basic shop tools. you can have new bearings set by a local vette shop. and you don't have to remove the trailing arms.

i did mine 3 years ago ( i went in a virgin too) and they are perfect today. seems like too many people are afraid to tackle the rear wheel bearings for some reason or another. like i said, it's more dirty than complex.

but, it depends on what you want. if you want new looking arms and parts, send them out. if you just want to replace the bearings...it's doable. besides. it's a good education for you.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:52 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I personally didn't take a chance having some mechanic messing up the bearing install... I replaced the whole trailing arm + bearing assemblies with pro built Van Steel Units and they are great!!!

Quick Reply: Rear wheel bearings?