C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-)

Old 12-02-2003, 02:03 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-)

So now you all know where I went last Sunday. :D The new owner of Merlin lives in this general part of the world, and I happen to be around for a different event, and pestered him to let me see the car in person. He agreed. I drove to his house Sunday morning and had a look at it. I need to say that Merlin couldn't have gone to a better home. The new owner is a real nice guy. He was cordial and friendly, likes to talk about cars, very hospitable. He has not only Merlin, but a ZO6, and a 58' and 61' both in mint condition. These cars all live in a beautiful garage that has nicer interior and exterior finish than most houses. Merlin will be VERY well taken care of here. Anyhow, about the car. It looks better in person than on the web. The body work is absolutely flawless. The paint is as smooth as glass, you can see your reflection in the paint just like looking in a mirror. Every detail is done perfectly. We didn't start it or drive it since it is winter in this part of the world and the roads are icey and salt covered, so the car had to stay in it's home, but it still was great to see it and to sit in it. That view over the Whipple quad rotor is something else. :cool: I have more pics, but I am on dial up so uploading them is quite an undertaking. I'll start the upload when I go to bed and maybe by morning they'll be done. :nonod: Anyhow, a big thanks to Damon, for showing me the car, it's really a piece of work. :steering:

-Justin

[Modified by Dalannex, 1:11 AM 12/2/2003]
Old 12-02-2003, 02:28 AM
corvettemaster
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-) (Dalannex)

:cool: maybe next year you'll get a ride in it :D were all the bugs worked out of it to where it's actually driveable?
Old 12-02-2003, 03:00 AM
Rottenrob
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-) (corvettemaster)

Well done, nice bit of investigative reporting there!!! :cheers: Just sitting in Merlin must have been a cooool experience. :cheers: :cool:
Old 12-02-2003, 05:03 AM
Mystery Machine
Drifting

Default Re: PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-) (Dalannex)

Too cool! :cool:
Old 12-02-2003, 05:03 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-) (Rottenrob)

Hi Justin,
Congratulations in hunting Merlin down. So, after seeing that setup, have you changed your own plans for your new garage & contents? ;)
Has he driven it much? Impressions?
:cheers:
Old 12-02-2003, 06:31 AM
76BlackStingRay
Advanced

Man i love that car..... cant wate to see some vids on the tack..... what rims are on the car rite now? i wanted to buy the same ones but could never find the site. :cheers:
Old 12-02-2003, 06:49 AM
SmokedTires
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05

Does it look even more incredible in person ? That is by far the most :reddevil looing C3 ever made in my opinion :yesnod: .

Very cool to let you in to see it & even a chance to sit behind the wheel :cheers: .
Old 12-02-2003, 08:48 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-) (UKPaul)

Has he driven it much? Impressions?
:cheers:
:iagree:
Old 12-02-2003, 09:35 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Default Re: PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-) (groovyjay)

[BillandTed]Excellent!!![/BillandTed]

:steering:
Old 12-02-2003, 09:47 AM
sirlan
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In I Veteran

That car inspired me to start searching for a C3 to restore/mod. I must've read the documentation of the build several times (should've saved it, now I can't find it). That is one awesome piece of machinery.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:48 AM
Bob Turner
Drifting

Dalannex,

That's great news. I appreciate your determination to see the car and keep track of it!!

Thanks.

Bob :cool:
Old 12-02-2003, 09:58 AM
American Boy
Pro

Default Re: PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-) (Bob Turner)

Yeah, yeah...nice photoshop. If only you would have erase the date on the pic, rookie mistake!! Keep dreaming...:jester

You're soo lucky! :thumbs:

Stephan
Old 12-02-2003, 11:43 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-) (American Boy)

I know the date on the pics are wrong. My boss at work pointed that out when i showed him the pics after I got back. The date setting in my digital camera must be off.

Damon said that he has driven the car a little bit. The problems they had with it were minor. When he first got it the fuel mapping was off a little bit and needed to be reprogrammed, because it was fouling out spark plugs when you would step on it too quickly. They took care of that, but couldn't get the spark plugs out because no tool would fit in there. (you need to see the spot) So they had a machine shop make them a special ratchet for the job. They also had some wires that were a little closer to the exhaust and not protected than they liked, so they took care of that. The relay for the 4 electric fans was undersized and burned out so they went with a larger one there. All it needs now is the driver side door seems to be a little close on the back door gap, they want to rework that gap so that it doesn't end up hitting the paint and chipping it, and the rear compartment doors are new factory style doors and they don't fit because they hit the roll bar hoops behind the seats, so they need to make something custom there, and it doesn't have a radio head unit in it yet, he needs to decide what to do there. He said that the car is really something to drive, although he hasn't beat it much or driven too hard, with the final tuning and him getting used to the car you can understand why he is taking it slow. The car runs just as it is supposed to, with a good idle and streetability. I asked if the air intake directily in front of the windshield makes a lot of noise and he smiled and said "the whole thing makes a lot of noise". :D The car does look just killer in person. The body work is done just perfectly. Just enough to say b@ddbutt but not too much that it's distasteful. Very nicely done.

Now if I could just get the rest of those pics to upload. :mad I'm off to try again. Stay tuned.

-Justin
Old 12-02-2003, 12:30 PM
NHvette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Sweet ending to the Thanksgiving holiday.
Thanks for the pics !!
:seeya
Old 12-02-2003, 06:57 PM
QuickVet
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-) (NHvette)

:cool:
Old 12-02-2003, 07:05 PM
DGT76
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '03 & '05

:eek: :cool: :cool:
Old 12-02-2003, 08:10 PM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Default Re: PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-) (DGT76)

Here's more pics for ya'. Sorry to you dial up people, they aren't small, but I know what you're going through, I'm on dial up too and spent over an hour uploading them to my web site. :eek:

-Justin

Get notified of new replies

To PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-)

Old 12-03-2003, 12:13 AM
76BlackStingRay
Advanced

what rims are on the car?
Old 12-03-2003, 03:51 AM
Rottenrob
Burning Brakes

Default Re: PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-) (76BlackStingRay)

Damn the undercarriage looks just as nice as topside~ :eek:
Old 12-03-2003, 05:43 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-) (Rottenrob)

That Merlin is slicker than snot on a brass doorknob....one of the very few black corvettes I like, the thing was a well thought out project from start to finish....few details, but that's nothing...

GENE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: PIC-yes that's Merlin, and yes that's me sitting in Merlin:-)