C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette.

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004, 09:16 PM

Default I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette.

Please do not get me wrong on this thread. I am a die hard Corvette fan and owner of a 71 SB coupe and 2002 Z06, but I fail to see the hype and concern about top end speed of the C6 or any Vette for that matter. You can not go that fast (legally) anywhere in the USA except on a track and who can or does that very often. Also, what typical ordinary Corvette owner can even handle a car at those speeds? Unless you are a professional driver, you have no business or the ability to attempt to go that fast anywhere. With regard to the almighty autobahn, I have lived in Germany a long time and the myth about unlimited speed limits is not true any more. Most places on the autobahn do have speed limits and even when it does not, the traffic, trucks, and **** poor road conditions are not conducive to speeds above 125 MPH. I guess what top end speed really means is "bragging rights" and the ability to compare a Corvette to European cars that cost five times as much. Another thing, if you're going to go over 150 MPH, you'd better do it in a car better than a factory production Corvette. Horse power, gear ratios, and fat tires do not necessarily mean safety at high speeds. There is a reason most European sports cars cost in excess of 100 grand and a lot of it is engineering and production designs that produce cars that can go the high speeds. American car producers have not grown up in an environment of high speed design and capability as they have in Europe. I own a 2002 Z06 and it does plenty for me at speeds well below 100 MPH. I love the looks, performance, and all else but the top end speed has never been a concern to me. I am more concerned about why the C5 leaks water when it rains and the fuel gauges and trip range are totally unreliable. Fix the little stuff first Chevy and we'll worry about the weekend Le Mans warriors on the interstates later!

[Modified by Rick Church, 1:34 PM 1/2/2004]
Old 01-02-2004, 12:19 AM
Desertdawg
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette. (Rick Church)

Rick,

I don't think your buying safety for 100 grand when you buy a european sports car. Your buying "horse power, gear ratios, and fat tires." And quite a bit of exclusivity, (they don't build 10's of thousands of those Ferrari. and Lambo's) Next time you see one, look for a roll bar, or other high speed type safety equipment. My money say's you won't see any.

Now if every car on the road was able to go only 75mph (most Az. interstate speeds), then why would you buy a Corvette if a Pinto will do the same thing?
The speeds (and handling ability) of a Corvette are not there just for bragging rights. There are plenty of opportunity's around to go to the drag strip, or a local SCCA auto-cross and let your right foot mash the go fast peddle all to hell.

And the top speeds also come in real handy when you have to out run the police, because you got the last chocolate, sprinkle covered donut at Krispy Kreme. :jester
Old 01-02-2004, 01:09 AM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette. (Desertdawg)

I agree. Anything over 120 is crazy in a C3. Mine shakes at 100 and I know it needs a suspension rebuild but it's not worth it. for me it's getting from 0 to 80 anything over that is too dangerous and with manual brakes and 50% female drivers out here in Cali........ :nono: :nono:
Old 01-02-2004, 05:03 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette. (Rick Church)

I was thinking the same thing. Can't do the speed on a regular road, and even if I could take it to the track on a regular basis, I would want a roll cage.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:58 AM
Yeller81USNRet
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette. (stickboy)

You would have a hard time getting it up to speed on these West Virginia roads but man are the curves fun.
My C-3 can go fast enough to scare the S**T out of me and get a Adrenalin Rush.
But then again I am not a Professional Driver ..
:steering:
Old 01-02-2004, 08:04 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

400 hours in the wind tunnel.
it is an engineering achievement :cool:
the only 180 my 72 will do will be right before it does a 360
Old 01-02-2004, 08:32 AM

Default Re: I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette. (Matt Gruber)

The only thing in my C3 that gets near 180 is the water temp! I know and agree that there are opportunities and places like drag strips, race tracks and others places to take a high performance car, but I am neither trained nor proficient at doing those kinds of things. My luck is that I would blow and engine or a tire at high speed and loose the whole car or my life. I get my jollies at 100 or less and the Z06 uses all my adrenaline when I want it to and I never have to go over 80 or 90. It is a nice feeling though to know what I can do if I ever get brave or stupid enough! I guess I am one of those guys that love his Corvettes for the look and mystic of owning part of the American dream that few people can have like us. But please don not get me wrong, if two of my fellow Vette owners wanted to push the limit at the track, I would be there rooting for the best driver and car to win and then I would buy them both a cold beer afterwards!

Rick :cheers: :chevy

[Modified by Rick Church, 1:47 PM 1/2/2004]
Old 01-02-2004, 08:40 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Rent Stephen Kings movie "duel" and watch it. Then ask yourself "Would I rather be in that Plymouth Dennis Weaver is driving or any Vette?". :D

Larry
Old 01-02-2004, 08:52 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Rick I regularly blip 130 mph, I have enough power that any little desserted stretch of road , a quick blip and I am at 130. This is where I really begin to worry about the police. My 75 has had extensive suspension/brake work and at 100 wearing ear plugs it is just as smooth as my wifes new bonneville. Old C3's can be made to comfortably cruise at 100 and often I find myself creeping up to that on the expressways if pushed by traffic.
I do not get any vibration right up to 130, no sudden darting over pumps, I have eliminated bump steer and my brake are very powerful.
I do not have to push the car at these speeds, my rpm at 100 is 2600 rpm with my 308 gears and overdrive.
Old 01-02-2004, 09:00 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

cars do 1 of 2 things when WOT a long time.
1. hit top speed
2. crash
don't ask how i know this :jester
Old 01-02-2004, 09:01 AM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Well ANY time I go above the speed limit it IS on a track. Norval....get your but on the track!!!
If I wanted something made for normal street useage I would buy it...and I did...my 2002 Monte Carlo SS is a nice car that drives real nice on public roads AT the speed limit. If you are buying a Corvette strictly to drive on the street, then you are missing out on a LOT of fun! Both sports car racing and drag racing are a blast! Of course, if you own a Vette that is exceptionally slow, it ain't as much fun :D
Top end speed within a certain environment (1/4 mile or within a race track) are where the Vette stands out. I don't think Bonneville-style speed runs are much fun though. And certainly STOOPID on public roads.

Dep

[Modified by DJ Dep, 8:02 AM 1/2/2004]
Old 01-02-2004, 09:23 AM
lbell101
Melting Slicks

Default Re: I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette. (DJ Dep)

"Well ANY time I go above the speed limit it IS on a track."

Oh come on, you can't expect us to actually believe that statement.
You've never gone 75 in a 65 zone? or 65 in a 55 zone? You've never passed on a two lane road and exceeded the limit?

Larry
Old 01-02-2004, 09:33 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Default Re: I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette. (lbell101)

[QUOTE]"Well ANY time I go for top speed it IS on a track."
typo corrected :steering:
Old 01-02-2004, 09:52 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Re: I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette. (DJ Dep)

Well ANY time I go above the speed limit it IS on a track. Norval

You can actually get a ticket here for going the speed limit. A guy was driving at 70 on our 400 series highways and he was ticketed for speeding. To prove a point he got a few of his friends to drive with him at exactly 60/100kmp forming a line across the 4 lane highway. He caused such a traffic jam , he along with his friends were charged with careless driving. Driving too slow causing a traffic jam.
Honestly on our 400 series highways anyone driving the speed limit is a menace.
I was following a marked cop car on a long stretch of 400 series highways in the Bonneville, I also had it set of mph not metric and I kept about 200 yards behind the cruiser. I was pushing right on 90 mph, Behind me I had a whole line of traffic just pacing the cruiser.
Sure he had an emergency 60 miles away, The last donut was being sold. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 01-02-2004, 09:57 AM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette. (norvalwilhelm)

Well ANY time I go above the speed limit it IS on a track. Norval

You can actually get a ticket here for going the speed limit. A guy was driving at 70 on our 400 series highways and he was ticketed for speeding. To prove a point he got a few of his friends to drive with him at exactly 60/100kmp forming a line across the 4 lane highway. He caused such a traffic jam , he along with his friends were charged with careless driving. Driving too slow causing a traffic jam.
Honestly on our 400 series highways anyone driving the speed limit is a menace.
I was following a marked cop car on a long stretch of 400 series highways in the Bonneville, I also had it set of mph not metric and I kept about 200 yards behind the cruiser. I was pushing right on 90 mph, Behind me I had a whole line of traffic just pacing the cruiser.
Sure he had an emergency 60 miles away, The last donut was being sold. :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lolg: :lolg: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:
To add my 0.02, to me the whole hobby is about making the car handle better, go faster and look better, what's wrong with that? :D
Old 01-02-2004, 10:25 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,329 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Default Re: I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette. (Matt Gruber)

Your wrong Matt:)

1. hit top speed
2. crash

#3. The motors blow up!
#4. The motor overheats!

I have blown up 2 motors driving at high speed for extended periods of time. At Bonneville Salt flats last year the guys i was their with completely blew the block apart attempting to exceed 300 mph in a TA.

Rick Church - If you want to drive fast come on out to Nevada or Texas and enter one of the many open road race events. Noth quite like driving 175+ for 90 miles which most of the entered C-5's do.

I've got a local brand new Z06 that wants to put some money down and go for a top speed race against my old 79

[Modified by gkull, 10:52 AM 1/2/2004]
Old 01-02-2004, 10:43 AM

Default Re: I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette. (gkull)

Your wrong Matt:)

1. hit top speed
2. crash

#3. The motors blow up!
#4. The motor overheats!

I have blown up 2 motors driving at high speed for extended periods of time. At Bonneville Salt flats last year the guys i was their with completely blew the block apart attempting to exceed 300 mph in a TA.

Rick Church - If you want to drive fast come on out to Nevada or Texas and enter one of the many open road race events. Noth quite like driving 175+ for 90 miles which most of the entered C-5's do.

I've got a local 04 Z06 that wants to put some money down and go for a top speed race against my old 79
I did 140 in my 94 Z28 while stationed Germany in 1994. That was scarry enough for me!

Get notified of new replies

To I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette.

Old 01-02-2004, 10:46 AM
Thailog84
Instructor

Mine just looks fast standing still. I could care less about top end. I OWN a Corvette that makes me happy!!!! Of course I do occasional let it feast on a Camaro or two.......... :reddevil
Old 01-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Default Re: I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette. (gkull)

i knew i was forgetting something!
Your wrong Matt:)cars do 1 of 3 things when WOT a long time.1. hit top speed2. crash 3. have a mechanical problem **************************************** *******************#3. The motors blow up! #4. The motor overheats! I have blown up 2 motors driving at high speed for extended periods of time. At Bonneville Salt flats last year the guys i was their with completely blew the block apart attempting to exceed 300 mph in a TA.Rick Church - If you want to drive fast come on out to Nevada or Texas and enter one of the many open road race events. Noth quite like driving 175+ for 90 miles which most of the entered C-5's do.I've got a local 04 Z06 that wants to put some money down and go for a top speed race against my old 79
Old 01-02-2004, 11:26 AM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

I agree. Where is anyone ever going to achieve those kinds of speeds except on salt flats?

Quick Reply: I fail to see the concern about top end speed of the Corvette.