C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early 68 Convertible Windshield Molding Question

Old 01-03-2004, 02:33 PM
BBShark
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Early 68 Convertible Windshield Molding Question

I have an early 68 vert that needs new corner molding pieces. These moldings were only used on early production and were replaced by the ones that are now reproduced. Mine were discontinued and not reproduced.

Can I replace my moldings with later style moldings. If so, what do I need and does this require removal of the glass?
Old 01-03-2004, 08:59 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Early 68 Convertible Windshield Molding Question (BBShark)

I assume that you are refering to the corners where the guide pins go into. Yes they can be substituted. I think you only need the corner pieces. It might not require replacement of the windshield, but it probably would be better to do so to get to a couple of screws. Its been a while and I cant remember.
Old 01-03-2004, 10:43 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Early 68 Convertible Windshield Molding Question (wombvette)

I had to remove my windshield to take the corner moldings off. I couldn't get to some of the screws on my cars molding because the edge of the windshield was in the way.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:03 PM
Cali,68,L-79
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Early 68 Convertible Windshield Molding Question (68rdstr)

What's wrong with the current ones?? I poilshed mine out and think they look great.
Old 01-03-2004, 11:32 PM
BBShark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: Early 68 Convertible Windshield Molding Question (Cali,68,L-79)

I am really only concerned about the chrome plated corner pieces. Mine are in very bad shape and the seperate pin blocks are cracked. I can polish the stainless but I don't know if I can reuse it with the newer corner moldings. Taking the windshield out is not something I want to takle.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:36 AM
R1234
Melting Slicks

This is in the NCRS archives on the 68-69 windshield trim. Your best bet might be to rechrome your pot metal corner trim (that's what I did) and locate some more 68 guide pin brackets. Luckily, my guide pin brackets are not broken.

Well, you may have a bit of a problem on your hands here. For 1968 there were two different designs for the windshield reveal moldings(the two side, two corner and one top "thin" moldings) and the windshield header molding("wide" upper piece).

This whole situation gets VERY complicated so I'm going to boil it down to the essential facts so you can "digest" it.

The 1st design upper windshield reveal ("thin") molding for 1968 was GM #3912716. You won't find this part number in the 68 AIM, but that's the part that was first used. This part has 6 attached clips and is very likely the one which your very early 1968 was equipped with.

The 2nd design upper winshield reveal ("thin") molding was GM #3935577. This part was also used for all 1969-76. This part has 5 attached clips.

Now is where things get complicated:

The 1st design upper windshield header("wide") molding for 1968 was GM #3912719. You won't find this part number in the 1968 AIM, either, but this is the part that was first used for 1968 and probably is what your very early 1968 was built with. This molding has slots "cut out".

The 2nd design upper windshield header("wide") molding for 1968 was GM #3935640.

In 1969, the 2nd design 1968 upper windshield header ("wide") molding was discontinued and replaced by the 69 design, GM #3966659. With modification, which includes the addition of 2 GM #3966660 clips(discontinued) and the drilling of 2 11/64" holes in each corner molding, the GM #3966659 can be used in place of the 2nd design 1968 windshield header("wide") molding GM #3935640. HOWEVER, THE GM #3966659 MOLDING CANNOT BE USED IN PLACE OF THE 1ST DESIGN 1968 WINDSHIELD HEADER MOLDING GM #3912719. That is what, I expect, you are currently attempting to do.

In order to use the GM #3966659 molding that you have, you will have to obtain a GM #3935777 upper windshield reveal("thin") molding. However, that molding will likely not fit properly with your 1st design upper corner moldings, GM #3915667 and GM #3915668. Alternatively, you could try to locate an original GM #3912719 windshield header("wide") molding. That piece would work for sure with your current upper windshield reveal("thin") molding. The second option, as difficult as it may be, is probably going to be your best bet. Otherwise, you will likely end up having to change your upper corner moldings which may, in turn, force you to change your side windshield reveal moldings. There may very well be additional installation problems encountered with any of these changes, if they can be done, at all. These are the "complications" that I spoke of at the beginning that I don't even want to get into.

ALL of these moldings are LONG SINCE GM-discontinued and are extremely difficult to locate in NOS form. Furthermore, to my knowledge, not a single one is being currently reproduced. So, you will have to scrounge in the used marketplace for the parts that you need.

Now, for anybody that doesn't think that the NCRS Board is a GREAT PLACE, show me anyplace else IN THE WORLD where a Corvette restorer could get the information which I provided above.
Old 01-04-2004, 11:05 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

I am really only concerned about the chrome plated corner pieces.
I am still having trouble figuring out which pieces we are talking about... ie, which corners, which pieces? Also in the NCRS description, not exactly sure which pieces they are talking about. I need a picture with circles drawn around the relevant parts with labels. I need the 1st grade version! :) MJ

ok.... it is becoming a bit more clear after re-reading this and looking at Cali's pic for reference ===> "(the two side, two corner and one top "thin" moldings) and the windshield header molding("wide" upper piece). "

[Modified by MNJack, 11:08 AM 1/4/2004]
Old 01-04-2004, 11:12 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Default Re: Early 68 Convertible Windshield Molding Question (wombvette)

I assume that you are refering to the corners where the guide pins go into.
I thought the "corner" pieces referred to the small pieces at the base of the windshield between the top of the door and wiper door. Which is it? :confused:

I am afraid to look at mine to see what I have there..... mine is a relatively early 68 - Nov 67.

[Modified by MNJack, 11:20 AM 1/4/2004]
Old 01-04-2004, 12:20 PM
BBShark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

68rdstr, WOW, thanks for the info. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. I looked in my AIM and it does list some of the parts that you list (pg. H114 and H115). My car is undergoing a winter suspension rebuild right now and I don't expect to have it on the road until summer. I think what I will do is look for some NOS guide pin brackets for the next few months and if I can't find them, I will make some new ones. Then I can make this a project for next winter.

Do you know the part number for the brackets and did they originally have a nylon bushing in them? Also, did the removeable roof panel cars use the same guide pin brackets? I just bought this car (with a couple of boxes of parts) in October. My AIM book has been invaluable but if the factory recieved a part as an assembly, the individual component part numbers are not listed. So now I have a million small pieces that I can't figure out where they go. Also, I can't find much info on the "upgrades" for the 68, like the later cowl reinforcement brackets.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:48 PM
mxzx turbine
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have all of the trim removed from my 68E coupe, let me know if any of it is off use to you.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2004, 01:13 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi

My 68 corner pieces that hold the nylon bushings are also split open.
I am already looking for a couple of years for new ones.
I might have found one side, depending on GEAOPAR.
I just wait for him to return from vacation.
If you find a way to manufacture them, let me know as I might join in. It might make the deal a bit cheaper.

Good luck, I'm still looking for the otyher side one.

Gunther
Old 01-04-2004, 02:13 PM
BBShark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Default Re: Early 68 Convertible Windshield Molding Question (MNJack)

MNJack, the pieces you are talking about are the extensions of the wiper door trim? What I am asking about are the corner pieces at the top of the windshield. The ones that the pins on your top go into. I think my car is a Oct-Nov 67 car also, build #4205.

WESCH, if I make them, they will be CNC from aluminum (or maybe brass) so I could make any number of them. The work to make 2 pairs is not much more than 1 pair. I will contact you if I do this.

Old 01-04-2004, 06:01 PM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Hi

Thanks.
Make them out of a material that can be chromed, pls.
Alu could be high gloss polished as well.
I'm realy p..sed off about the previous owner that destroyed them.
When I got the car, the soft top was so misadjusted that you needed 2 persons to be able to lock it close. No wonder this little eares cracked open.

:cuss

It seems to be possible to install the newer 1 piece version of the 69 and up, but somehow I like to stay a bit orginal, specially on this 68 only items. :yesnod:

Hey, I visited Cincinnati in 86 or so. I did the acceptence check of 3 ea ex FLYING TIGER DC8's for UPS

Hope to hear from you. Gunther :seeya

[Modified by WESCH, 5:04 PM 1/4/2004]

[Modified by WESCH, 5:04 PM 1/4/2004]
Old 01-04-2004, 08:03 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

BBShark,
A fellow by the name Joe Lucia provided all the detailed info on the NCRS site.

I also looked through my AIM and found the part numbers you refer to. The AIM only shows one number for the header corner brackets and I could not find a part number for the guide pin bracket. If I can remember correctly when I had my car disassembled the guide pin brackets had a part# on the back side. This might be the same part number for the whole assembly????

I don't know if the guide pin brackets are interchangeble. The AIM list different part numbers for the coupe and convertible header corner brackets.

Yes, the brackets are supposed to have a nylon bushing. I replaced the original worn out guide pin bushings with some new ones that most Corvette supply houses sell.

My car's build date is NOV. 19 1967.

Old 01-05-2004, 12:10 AM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Mine is D13 = Nov 13, 1967 #4473 :) MJ
Old 01-05-2004, 05:32 AM
WESCH
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Early 68 Convertible Windshield Molding Question (MNJack)

Mine is Oct 05, 67 ( C 05 )
# 1391

Gunther :seeya
Old 01-05-2004, 01:33 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Early 68 Convertible Windshield Molding Question (WESCH)

Only in America! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=34204
Old 03-15-2016, 11:54 AM
z06c
1st Gear

Default Hey I have a early model 68 that I need a driver side incert for corner trim .

Originally Posted by BBShark
MNJack, the pieces you are talking about are the extensions of the wiper door trim? What I am asking about are the corner pieces at the top of the windshield. The ones that the pins on your top go into. I think my car is a Oct-Nov 67 car also, build #4205.

WESCH, if I make them, they will be CNC from aluminum (or maybe brass) so I could make any number of them. The work to make 2 pairs is not much more than 1 pair. I will contact you if I do this.
Did you ever have these made? I need a driver side insert for top pin to align up into.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:43 PM
20mercury
Melting Slicks

Received 568 Likes on 445 Posts

Default Interesting post

Interesting post and much thanks for the NCRS info.

Mine is 403962, Nov 8th, 1967.

As info, I took my windshield out today as the soft top and hard top would not fit. Found out some uneducated party installed the windshield and then tried to install the corner pieces afterwards. Looks like they then cracked the windshield in one place trying to lift up the center chrome trim to slip the corner pieces underneath. So I found out today how my windshield really got cracked. Oh well, I will fix all in short order and I knew there were issues here when I bought it. My 68 came with some nice 69+ repro corner pieces so I will use them but would rather have the unique 68 design.

Simply amazing to me that we are all discussing a few Corvettes made a few weeks within each other coming up on fifty years ago. Wow!

Get notified of new replies

To Early 68 Convertible Windshield Molding Question

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Early 68 Convertible Windshield Molding Question