C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper plumbing of remote power steering setup questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 12:41 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Proper plumbing of remote power steering setup questions

I have installed a march serpantine conversion on my 68 big block and power steering conversion kit from VBP. I put in a small powersteering pump with remote resivoire. The pump has two fittings. One is a flare type fitting and the other is a "hose clamp" style fitting. The powersteering valve has one large flared fitting and one small flared fitting. The remote resevoir is tapped for any fitting.

Here is how I think it goes.
Pump flared fitting to small flared fitting on valve. Large flared fitting on valve to resevoire. From Resevoire to "hose clamp" fitting on pump.

Correct????
Old 01-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Proper plumbing of remote power steering setup questions (BigBadOrange)

You are correct.
Small port on valve is 7/16 -24NS thread and hose connects to discharge (pressure) port on pump.
Large port on valve is 5/8 -18UNF thread and connects to the return spout on the reservoir.
The reservoir should connect to the pump intake with an oil resistant 5/8 inch ID hose. DO NOT attempt to use engine coolant hose. There are several remote reservoir installations in GM cars and vans. Use a new or used remote reservoir hose from one of those applications.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:33 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Default Re: Proper plumbing of remote power steering setup questions (Jim Shea)

Thanks Jim! I have braided lines to run to the resevoire. I think the "hose clamp" fitting is screwed into the pump. Should I change that to a "flare" type fitting as well, or is a hose clamp strong enough?

--marc
Old 01-29-2004, 07:44 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

Default Re: Proper plumbing of remote power steering setup questions (BigBadOrange)

I might be wrong, but I thought that the 5/8 remote reservoir tube in the pump was a press fit. I don't know how you could go to a flare fitting. As long as you have a hose of sufficient length between your reservoir and the pump, you will not have any problem with it "blowing off." That hose is always under low pressure or even negative pressure. You just want the hose to be clamped adequately so that air can't leak into the fluid stream and cause pump noise.

Yes, it is possible to have a hose clamp connection that under certain circumstances can leak air IN but is tight enough to prevent oil from leaking OUT.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:21 PM
73sbvert
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

... I put in a small powersteering pump with remote resivoire. The pump has two fittings. One is a flare type fitting and the other is a "hose clamp" style fitting. The powersteering valve has one large flared fitting and one small flared fitting. The remote resevoir is tapped for any fitting.
What was the (original) application of this remote reservoir pump? And would it work in a small block application do ya think?

I've been reeeaaalllllyyyyyy contemplating doing this, but didn't know what to go with. I thought I'd go with the newer model Vette one, but I think those are metric threads, and not compatible with the stock system.

Also, was the serp. conversion very difficult (and expensive?)? I always liked that clean "one belt" look, but didn't know if I wanted to undertake that kind of project if it took a lot of fab work.

Thanks,
Paul

[Modified by 73sbvert, 5:22 PM 1/29/2004]
Old 01-30-2004, 11:47 AM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Default Re: Proper plumbing of remote power steering setup questions (73sbvert)

Its a march sepentine conversion so "cheap" is not in the equation. I have had some issues with my engine sitting to low even with new motor mounts. I have found 2 others that had the same "low" engine and still have not found an explanation for it. So I had to heat up the cross member and mash it down a bit so I could get the crank pulley on. The instructions are poor (why does it seem the more you pay for something the worse the directions are?) , but with one good color picture you can figure it out. 99% of people have NO issues, but it seems no matter what car I am working on I always am in the 1% that has problems.

I actually think the original application is for a pontiac sunbird, but it came as part of the March kit and they have been doing it a long time so I figure they have it right.

Also, add a couple hundred more as once you put on the march system (pics dont do it justice, the kit is f/n beutiful!!!!) Your alternator is going to look like a turd as will the water pump. I already replaced my perfectly good alternator and am about to replace my perfectly good waterpump just for asthetics.

:cheers:
Old 01-30-2004, 12:19 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Default Re: Proper plumbing of remote power steering setup questions (73sbvert)

Fellow 73sbvert'er

You can buy a serp set up pretty cheap, think I spent $150 for all brackets and pulleys plus the p/s pump from a f-body. Just need to clean it up and put it on but that might wait awhile, need to rebuild the front susp and clean paint the frame/a-arms etc before I put my steeriods on.

Get notified of new replies

To Proper plumbing of remote power steering setup questions

Quick Reply: Proper plumbing of remote power steering setup questions