C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would cause an HEI distributor to have no mechanical advance?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 04:56 AM
TIMSPEED
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What would cause an HEI distributor to have no mechanical advance?

I was checking my timing tonight...and when I pulled the vacuum advance connection off (to check mechanical advance) I noticed that at 3000rpm, the timing was at 16º and wasn't really going any farther even when revving it to 5000rpm real quick. What would cause this NEW distributor to do this? Would changing the springs do anything? Because I recurved this distributor to have 36º mechanical advance @ 2800rpm. (But I guess it didn't work) Or maybe changing both the weights and springs fix the problem? Or should I just pull the distributor out and get it warrantied?
Old 02-02-2004, 07:39 AM
Matt Gruber
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Re: What would cause an HEI distributor to have no mechanical advance? (TIMSPEED)

the springs are too light and not retracting the weights
Old 02-02-2004, 08:00 AM
Rockn-Roll
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What would cause an HEI distributor to have no mechanical advance? (TIMSPEED)

My distributor shaft was gummed up and would not turn...I had to take it apart completely and soak it in oil for several days before I got it freed up enough for the mechanical advance to work...you should be able to easily turn the rotor by hand and feel some resistance, but it should not be hard to turn, and it should spring right back...check for binding and sluggish return.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:19 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What would cause an HEI distributor to have no mechanical advance? (Rockn-Roll)

if springs so light it would be at max. timing when you set the base timing, so
no advance left to come-in...
Old 02-02-2004, 09:29 AM
no_radio
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What would cause an HEI distributor to have no mechanical advance? (Rockn-Roll)

My distributor shaft was gummed up and would not turn...I had to take it apart completely and soak it in oil for several days before I got it freed up enough for the mechanical advance to work...you should be able to easily turn the rotor by hand and feel some resistance, but it should not be hard to turn, and it should spring right back...check for binding and sluggish return.
:iagree:

My HEI did this. First time I cleaned it real well but it only lasted a few weeks. Second time I yanked it and installed a new Accel HEI.

First step, remove the cap and check the action by hand. This will tell you if you are getting any mechanical advance. If you are getting mechanical advance, and it snaps back quickly when you rease it, then your springs are probably too light.

Jeff
Old 02-02-2004, 10:46 PM
burners
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

I have also incountered the rotor squeezing the weights and not allowing them to move. Check for marks in the top of the underside of the rotor.
Old 02-02-2004, 10:51 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the mismatched wheels. :D
Old 02-02-2004, 10:51 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: What would cause an HEI distributor to have no mechanical advance? (burners)

Like the others have said the dist is probably all gummed up with rust, take it out, take it apart and clean it up, then buy a MSD Pro Billet :lol:

Get notified of new replies

To What would cause an HEI distributor to have no mechanical advance?

Quick Reply: What would cause an HEI distributor to have no mechanical advance?