C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Want to clean the tops of my valves without removing my heads.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Boofers
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Want to clean the tops of my valves without removing my heads.

I am in the process of swapping my cam, so my intake is off my engine. Looking inside my heads there is black crusty gunk on the tops of my valves. Due to financial reasons I am not changing my heads until next winter.
Any ideas on what the best way might be to clean gunk off the tops of my valves without removing my heads?
Old 02-06-2004, 05:55 PM
Master Ho
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Want to clean the tops of my valves without removing my heads. (Boofers)

The poor man's approach would be gas additive to clean the valves. Don't expect miracles, though. You get what you pay for.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:02 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Want to clean the tops of my valves without removing my heads. (Boofers)

After cleaning mine with a wire wheel I doubt any of those valve cleaning products you put in your gas do squat, either oull the heads, strip em down and clean em or forget you ever saw that gunk.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:23 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

There is a process for cleaning the valves with the cylinder heads in place ,, crushed walnut shells are used as a blasting medium to clean them . If you know some one with a portable sandblaster , the shell media is available @ eastwoods or other vendors . Tape everything up and have at it !!! And yes it really does work well !

gman
Old 02-06-2004, 06:24 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Re: Want to clean the tops of my valves without removing my heads. (Fevre)

Like he said. It can't be done just trying to go in through the intake ports without getting a bunch of goo in the cylinders. If it really bugs you and you don't have a cat. converter, once you have it running you can use any number of products that pour down the carb throat that will disolve it and burn it up. Definitely bubba, but I've done it many times on older engines that are all carboned up, even to the point of having chunks stuck in between the valve and the seat. My favorite is a quart mixture of ATF and water. Fire it up (warm), dribble it into the carb on a fast idle without killing it, them towards the end of the quart, dump it in fast and kill the engine. Let it sit for an hour, fire it up (it'll be flooded) and take it for a drive. Be warned, this creats SMOKE, and will p**s off the neighbors. Do it at your buddies house in the sticks...
Old 02-07-2004, 12:05 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Want to clean the tops of my valves without removing my heads. (Wrencher)

Like he said. It can't be done just trying to go in through the intake ports without getting a bunch of goo in the cylinders. If it really bugs you and you don't have a cat. converter, once you have it running you can use any number of products that pour down the carb throat that will disolve it and burn it up. Definitely bubba, but I've done it many times on older engines that are all carboned up, even to the point of having chunks stuck in between the valve and the seat. My favorite is a quart mixture of ATF and water. Fire it up (warm), dribble it into the carb on a fast idle without killing it, them towards the end of the quart, dump it in fast and kill the engine. Let it sit for an hour, fire it up (it'll be flooded) and take it for a drive. Be warned, this creats SMOKE, and will p**s off the neighbors. Do it at your buddies house in the sticks...
:iagree:

The white smoke will knock the socks off ya....
Old 02-07-2004, 08:20 AM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Default Re: Want to clean the tops of my valves without removing my heads. (GDaina)

Recently read that hydrogen peroxide down the carb works well but haven't tried it.
Old 02-07-2004, 09:08 AM
ZD75blue
Race Director

Default Re: Want to clean the tops of my valves without removing my heads. (FeedVaal)

I've tried water/atf... it works well! But what works the best... is this stuff that you can buy at the GM dealer called top engine cleaner. It smells nasty, peels paint off of air cleaners and will strip the color right off of a carb, but it does a hell of a good job cleaning out the carbon!

:cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Want to clean the tops of my valves without removing my heads.

Quick Reply: Want to clean the tops of my valves without removing my heads.