C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1969 Rear Spindle Bearing End Play

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Corvette JABO
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1969 Rear Spindle Bearing End Play

I am looking to try to install new bearings on the rear spindle of my 69 Vette my self. Can any one help me with detailed information on this. Corvette Central sells a tool Part Number 582418 which is called a rear spindle bearing set-up tool, but it doesn't come with any instructions. The description of the tool in their catalog is as follows:

"Use this set-up tool to check the end play of new rear bearing assemblies before you press them onto the spindle. Proper end play is critical to your wheel bearing's life -- a few thousandths of an inch over or under can result in premature bearing failure, more expensive repairs and down time. With this tool, proper shim selection is simple and does not require repeated pressing on and off of the bearings. Bearings and shims sold separately."

Can any one provide me with any documentation that they may have or a book that goes into very detailed instructions? I have the GM Chassis Service manual but it doesn't go into great detail on the clearance. I'm sure I can find a machine shop that can press on/off the new bearing and seal to the spindle. Corvette Central sells a wheel bearing shim and spacer kit Part Number 582021.

Any information you guys can provide would be appreciated.

David :chevy

[Modified by IMEZRU, 12:27 PM 2/11/2004]
Old 02-11-2004, 12:56 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,602 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Default Re: 1969 Rear Spindle Bearing End Play (IMEZRU)

David,
The tool you're referring to is used to setup the end play in the bearings. It is nothing more then an undersize shaft so the bearings are a slip fit on/off. This is so you don't damage them setting them up. You can use this tool,find an old spindle and polish it undersize,or have a shaft made up. If you have access to a lathe you'll be all set.
To use the tool place one bearing on it and place it into the bearing housing. I guess you could do ito n the car but I recommend removing it to a work bench. I made up a fixture to hold the housing and setup tool so you can check the endplay. You will need the shim kit unless you have access to a surface grinder. I use the original shim as a starting point and most times end up using the largest shim in the kit and grinding it to size. The setup tool has a threaded end like a spindle so that you can torque it to 100 ft/lbs to load the bearings. Most times I have found the endplay is around .014" when first checked and I grind them down until I have between .0015"-.002" endplay. when you set them up only use spndle oil on the bearings to lube them while you torque them and spin them. You don't grease them until you know the endplay is set correct.
This is just a quick procedure,if you want to talk it over then IM me and I'll give you my number to call me. I'm in CT.

I have some pictures I can scan of the fixture I made if you would like them.

Also thanks go out to my mentor on rear bearings, Tom454

You can try the archives if they are working because there is/was a lot of info on this.

Quick Reply: 1969 Rear Spindle Bearing End Play