C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17 inch tires with RWL?

Old 02-21-2004, 11:06 AM
Steve Straus
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 17 inch tires with RWL?

Whenever I see a older car that has just plain black tires, it always looks like something is missing to me. This may sound stupid, but I want to eventually put 17" wheels on my 68 Camaro, but not if I can't get a tire with raised white letters. Does anyone make one?

I saw an episode of rides the other night when they were building the new ford cobra, and there was a shot where Carroll Shelby was doing donuts in the old and the new car. One thing that caught my eye was before he started the donuts, I noticed that the tires on the new car (19" wheels?) where RWL and said BFGoodrich. Anyone have any info on that? It wouldn't surprise me if they shelled out big bucks to make a custom tire for that car..

Here are some pictures of it, notice the tires:

http://www.motortrend.com/autoshows/...01_shelby_gal/

[Modified by Steve Straus, 11:11 AM 2/21/2004]
Old 02-21-2004, 12:17 PM
1971Ultra
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: 17 inch tires with RWL? (Steve Straus)

Yeah, I like the RWL myself. I have been unable to find a 17" tire with RWL, so I just went with the flow an ordered some BFG g-force tires.

If anybody knows who making 17" tires with RWL, please chime in so I can cancel my order. :auto:

[Modified by 1971Ultra, 11:18 AM 2/21/2004]
Old 02-21-2004, 12:22 PM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

"it always looks like something is missing to me. This may sound stupid"

Doesn't sound stupid at all-I'm totally with you. Even on my new truck, I have to have the RWL tires. That would be pretty slick to have some in large sizes. I also feel that all of the tire companies are missing the boat when it comes to larger tire sizes for 17 inch wheels. I completely want to got with 17's but all of the tires are either too narrow or too short.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:29 PM
nelson71
Advanced

:cool: :cool:
I agree. I would love to see a large diameter white letter or even redline tire. The biggest I have found is a 235/55r16 Goodyear Nascar. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old 02-21-2004, 03:57 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I totally agree with you too.

Those tires you have pictured are on the Shelby Cobra Concept car and they make custom one-off (English phrase :)) tires for concept cars. Usually they have very custom tread designs. RWL would be icing on the cake.

Ive seen a few with very small red lettering -Pirellis I think.

Brent...

Get notified of new replies

To 17 inch tires with RWL?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 17 inch tires with RWL?