C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine build sheet?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 09:56 PM
AndreG
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Engine build sheet?

Hi folks,

I'm pretty new to the forum and have been reading your threads off and on for a the past few weeks. I'm really impressed by both the knowledge and the helpfullness so many of you are eager to share. I will try keep this short of being a novel:-)

I have a 69 427 convertible tri-power which was recently destroyed by an incompetant local mechanic attempting to perform an oil change. Foolish but honest mistake made by the apologetic mechanic who I can forgive as we are all human, however, it turned into a nightmare with the shop owner denying all responsibility. Long story short, skipping all the tears and explitives, it was an opportunity to go through the whole motor again and try something different. 15K later I have ended up with a 496, Brodex Race-Right heads, Airgap intake and a custom HP series carb which is still in the process of being built. The motor has yet to make it back into the car as it is still receiving some suspension work which should be completed first.

I have built several motors myself but was fairly unsuccessful to get them to meet my heavy footed expectations. I attribute this completely to my inexperience mixing and matching appropriate components. I do however think this motor will be AWESOME largely because I left all the component decisions to the builder who unlike myself does it for a living:-) I can't wait to get it back and see how it compares!

Anyway, getting back on track to the actual point of the post, the last time I had professional assistance with an engine I did not get back a satisfactory write up of all the components, configuration clearances etc. This was unclear to me at the time as I knew it was well put together and didn't anticipate a catastophe within 2 years. Turned out to be an annoyance as it proved more troublesome to adequately demonstrate the value of the components to my insurance company or make new engine build decisions given the motor had to be yarded out and dissassembled first. Attempting to learn from my mistakes, I am seeking a "sample" engine build/spec sheet to help ensure I gather all the necessary information I could ever want or need regarding all the components and clearances. I'm not so much interested in having this information for resale purposes but more to do with the fact that if I ever consider altering or swapping some component there will be no question as to what will fit or best match what is existing. I also want to be sure I have all the engine specs I would ever need to plug into a software app to test different combinations just for the fun of it.

If any of you have something I could please use as a template it would be very much appreciated! I'm not interested in anyones build data so much as a list for the engine builder to complete for me so as nothing important is omitted. Also, that way when I get it back I can share the stats and hopefully someone can benefit from the learnings positive or negative.

Cheers and thanks
-Andre
Old 03-02-2004, 11:03 PM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Engine build sheet? (AndreG)

don't have any soft ware,sorry, but you are correct about this being one of the best forums!!!!!!! the buick boys are pretty tight group, but helpful to out-siders, needing info :thumbs: WELCOME :cheers:
Old 03-02-2004, 11:10 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine included:

Name Brand of the forged pistons/Rods
Brand and Type of the rotating assy
Name brand and clearances of the bearings
Estimated CR of the pistons/heads combo
Brand of the oil pump and the clearance within it
Brand of the lifters
Brand of the roller rockers and pushrods

Block bore
Line Hone bore
Torque Specs throuout
Fasteners used
# of quarts in the Molodon oil pan
Ring Clearances (hand filed)

Hope this helps :cheers:
Old 03-02-2004, 11:20 PM
AndreG
Racer

Thanks for the response and the welcome!

Not software I'm looking for just a template or list of engine specs that somebody would have been provided when they had a "blue printed" motor professionally built for them. Seems like it would be something easy to come accross but I have searched up and down on Google and can't seem to find a good sheet posted anywhere. Even the crate engine sites don't seem to list the detail which you would think they would. Seems a little strange to me. I have a few dusty books on engine building so perhaps I should just comb through it and find all the relevant measurements I think I need to be documented and compare it with the list the engine builder provides me and proceed from there.

Thanks again
-Andre
Old 03-02-2004, 11:26 PM
AndreG
Racer

Default Re: Engine build sheet? (SanDiegoPaul)

Thanks Paul!

What abpout things like headgasket thickness, piston to deck height clearances, ring gap, chamber volumes, deck resurfacing measurements etc? Am I just getting way to carried away with this whole thing?

Thanks
-Andre
Old 03-03-2004, 01:51 PM
AKRAY4PLAY
Instructor

Andre is right. you need to document every detail of assembly. a parts list is a cheesy built sheet. blue printing is documenting, plain and simple. the more details, the better the blue print. specs change with parts, you run brand X pistons that call for .0025" clearence, or run brand Z pistons with .004" clearence. either is fine, the blue print matches the parts list and manufacture's specs, each motor has it's own blueprint kind of thing. Brian
Old 03-03-2004, 05:19 PM
marshrat99
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good starting point would be to have a look at a Corvette Shop manual. It lists a bunch of technical spec's that you're apparently interested in. Of course, what ever engine you end up blue printing could have potentially very different measurements than listed for your given Vette motor. :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Engine build sheet?

Quick Reply: Engine build sheet?