C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic Spark Plug Boots

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2004, 09:29 PM
MEAN72
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ceramic Spark Plug Boots

Iam thinking about getting Jacob's Ceramic Spark Plug wires.

I need advise.

I continually burn the #3 spark plug wire boot aginst my headers on my BB. I have tried staight boot, 90 degree boots, high temperature wires, DEI Protect-a Boot covers and have the wires tightly positioned with wire looms. All to no avail. It burns the 90-degree boot right at the outer corner of the angle, thus shorting out that cylinder. I haven't found a solution yet.

How do you guys solve this problem? I am sure I am not unique. :confused: :banghead:

Does anyone hae experience with the Jacobs Electonic's Pro-Fit Ceramic Plug wires? I assime they have a ceramic plug boot to protect agains header burns. Is this a hard ceramic boot? At almost $200 for a wire set I would like to have some indications that they will work before I buy them.

Jegs is the only place I found the cereamic wires. Does anyone else offer them for a cheaper price?

Does anyone have a good solution for the burnt boot against the headers proble? What other products are available? What is your experience? How did you solve your problem?

My vette :steering: great on 8 cylindeers but is a little weak on seven after burning the plug wires. :confused: All suggestions appreciated :confused: :confused:
Old 03-06-2004, 10:28 PM
JRD77VET
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Default Re: Ceramic Spark Plug Boots (MEAN72)

I don't have any knowledge of the wires, but....

Have you tried to find short sparkplugs? I think AC and Accel make sparkplugs which have shorter ceramic insulators.

I had burning problems on my '72 Monte when I had 2.02 angle plug heads and headers.

Good luck :thumbs:
:seeya Jeff

Old 03-06-2004, 10:33 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: Ceramic Spark Plug Boots (JRD77VET)

Have you tried heating up the pipe in the area that is close to the plug, get a socket extension and hammer and ding the pipe in a little, as long as you have the slightest gap between the pipe and the boot it will not burn. You can also cut a small amount off the corner of the boot :D
Old 03-07-2004, 08:39 AM
blue427
Burning Brakes

Received 128 Likes on 102 Posts

I have a69 bb with hooker headers and here is how I solved the problem cheaply and permantly.Go to awelding suppyhouse and get two heli-arc cup extensions.they are made of ceramic and won't burn. THe part#is 2304-0047 I think there mfg is CSI Welding not the auto people.My wires have a.750 dia. on the boot.They make different sizes.About 13 bucks each.Let me know if you have a problem. :steering:
Old 03-07-2004, 08:47 AM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I use Jacob ceramic boots on 2 plugs that gave me problems. It totally fixed the problem, no more burnt boots, the wires and ends have a lifetime guarantee and I found there customer service excellent.
I highly recommend there ceramic plug ends.
Old 03-07-2004, 08:51 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Ceramic Spark Plug Boots (blue427)

Tell the really WEIRD thing, I had a set of Schoenfeld #151 1 3/4 diameter headers on the car, never burnt a boot, they got pretty thin and rusty..so I did a reorder for the same thing in 1 5/8s.......and they were so close they burnt the 6-5 cylinders.....

so I hose clamped a piece of galvanized flashing bent to shape and cut slightly to allow it to flare out from the pipe right in the middle of the spark plug burning areas......cured the problem....just a hose clamp and a piece of sheetmetal about 3x2 inches.....

sorta like a starter heat sheild....

GENE
Old 03-08-2004, 07:28 PM
MEAN72
Racer

Default Re: Ceramic Spark Plug Boots (norvalwilhelm)

I highly recommend there ceramic plug ends.
:grouphug: Thanks guys for all your good suggestions. I bit the bullet based on Noval's comment above and ordered a ceramic boot wire set. I tried to find just the ends to put on my existing wires but couldn't find them.

The other suggestions were good and all worthy of a try. I even dug into my old parts box and dug out the plug shields that were original equipment on the BB but could not get them to fit in the allocated space left after the headers. I like the idea of the radiant heat shield that was suggested but went for the brute force method instead. I hope it works for me. I hope to be :steering: again by the weekend. Thanks. :seeya

[Modified by MEAN72, 12:58 AM 3/9/2004]
Old 03-08-2004, 07:39 PM
ram82fire
Burning Brakes

You will be pleased with the ceramic boots . I had the same problem you had and Norval suggested the Jacobs ,,,,,,,,,, no more problems. The price is cheap after you consider how much you spend on other odds and ends .

geo :crazy:
Old 03-08-2004, 10:30 PM
INTIMIDATOR ZO6
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

:seeya I'm very pleased with my set of Jacob Electronics spark plug wires with ceramic boots. :cheers: Not a problem anymore. :yesnod: :steering: :thumbs:
Old 03-11-2004, 08:38 PM
MEAN72
Racer

Default Re: Ceramic Spark Plug Boots (Intimidator454)

:seeya I'm very pleased with my set of Jacob Electronics spark plug wires with ceramic boots. :cheers: Not a problem anymore. :yesnod: :steering: :thumbs:
:mad :skep: I bought the Jacob Electronics spark plug wires with ceramic boots only to find out THEY DON'T FIT. My set came packaged as four wires each 62 inches long tip-to-tip with the spark plug wire straight ceramic boot at each end. These are not long enough to make eight wires to fit my 72 BB. I need at least two more wire and probably four to fit. How did you get yours to fit? I am still talking to Jacobs but don't have a solution yet.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:17 PM
Chuck Harmon
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went through 2 sets of MSD wires before biting the bullet for the $200 Jacob's set. Problem solved! Buying direct from them registers with them as a customer assuring the lifetime warranty should a wire fail or be destroyed because of any reason.

I first tried the high temp insulator boots or socks. This was a waste of even more money. I should have simply got the Jacobs first.

Chuck
Old 03-12-2004, 06:32 PM
MEAN72
Racer

:) Jacobs Electronics is going to send me two morre wires to compensate for the wire set I bought not fitting my BB. :thumbs: I installed the wires I do have in my set to six of the cylinders today. I had to ignore the "leave an inch" instruction in order to make them all fit. I'll complete the installatiion when I get the other two wires from Jacobs. I don't like the distributor end connection of the wires which essentialy is a glued connection. I am skeptical if that end will hold up. The spark plug end boot is also glued to the wire. One did come loose for me but it does not have the same consequence. The wire should work fine to stop the burn wire problem. THAT IS GOOD! :hurray:

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic Spark Plug Boots

Quick Reply: Ceramic Spark Plug Boots