C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding a hardtop to a 69

Old 03-20-2004, 07:37 PM
zootallure
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Adding a hardtop to a 69

How hard is it to add a hardtop to a car that originally did not come with one. Ive been looking for the right 69 for awhile but can never find one with everything I want and a hardtop. Ive seen a bunch of the hardtops for sale but what will it take to add one to a 69 that didnt
thanks
Jerry
Old 03-20-2004, 10:45 PM
wombvette
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Re: Adding a hardtop to a 69 (zootallure)

Not much. Just the little side bolt sockets.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:53 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

How hard is it to add a hardtop to a car that originally did not come with one. Ive been looking for the right 69 for awhile but can never find one with everything I want and a hardtop. Ive seen a bunch of the hardtops for sale but what will it take to add one to a 69 that didnt
thanks
Jerry
I didn't know that anything needs to be done to put a hardtop on a '69 Vert... :confused:
Old 03-20-2004, 11:10 PM
zootallure
Intermediate

Default Re: Adding a hardtop to a 69 (GrandSportC3)

I wasnt sure if their was any additional hardware that was needed, or any additional modifications to fit the hardtop
thanks
Old 03-21-2004, 12:56 AM
corvtt1969
Pro

nothings needed, but to make it more permanently fixed... theres a few bolts or pegs or something, i dont have em but i can still use my hardtop, it just clicks inwhere the soft top clicks
Old 03-21-2004, 01:22 AM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I wasnt sure if their was any additional hardware that was needed, or any additional modifications to fit the hardtop
thanks
I occasionally switch to my hardtop when I hit the drag strip...
Old 03-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 561 Likes on 349 Posts

Default Re: Adding a hardtop to a 69 (GrandSportC3)

Real, original 68 and most 69 hardtops had just the 2 "pins" that fit into the same convertible top latch holes on the decklid. In late 69, and I believe all hardtops from there forward to 75, there is an extra "pin" between the 2 conv. top latches. This extra pin requires that you drill an extra hole in the decklid. There is some extra "bezel" hardware required for this extra hole.

There are also 2 other mounts on the outer aspect of the decklid which require that you drill holes and mount special fasteners. You don't "really" need these. Chuck
Old 03-21-2004, 07:06 PM
Chuck-75
Instructor

Default Re: Adding a hardtop to a 69 (Chuck Gongloff)

I dont know about the 69? but for my 75, my car wasent equiped for the hard top. The rear pin holes on the hard top will have bolts.(i purchased a set of retainer washers from corvette central or from ecklers?, I cant remember who), theres a center bolt that I had to drill for, also the hardware is available and is cheap., there side bolts that I had to drill for and the hardware is also available cheap. ya can run the top without all these other mounting bolts, but when I did the rear center did seal tight, and if you lift the rear decklid with the top on, yr putting stress on the rear mounting points if ya dont have the side bolts....., so far I havent had any problems, I did get a set of plastic paint protectors that have static cling to prevent the weather straing from rubbing the paint... hope this helps. ( I had these same questions before I installed my top. ). good luck

Get notified of new replies

To Adding a hardtop to a 69

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adding a hardtop to a 69