Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C3 Tech/Performance
V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette Sponsored by
VBP

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!

Corvette Store

C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads

Vendor Directory

Old 03-27-2004, 11:30 AM   #1
Frankenvette
CF Senior Member

Default how do I remove scratches from plastic rear window on convertible top?

I have a new convertible top that was installed by professional trim shop. The problem is that I have only put the top down a few times since installation and the plastic rear window in one particular area has become scratched. Can I polish out the scratches? I also need to come up with a way to protect the window when the top is down.
Frankenvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 11:56 AM   #2
thermoquad
CF Senior Member

Default Re: how do I remove scratches from plastic rear window on convertible top? (Frankenvette)

3M makes a plastic cleaner and a plastic polish that I've had good results with on gauge lenses, tail lights & such.
thermoquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 09:24 PM   #3
Motor City Vette
CF Senior Member

Default Re: how do I remove scratches from plastic rear window on convertible top? (Frankenvette)

I bought the plastic restorer kit from Meguiar's website for about $20.00...it worked great. My rear window was very yellowed and scratched...you couldn't see in or out of the rear window at all. I was pretty skeptical that this stuff would work because my window was in such bad shape. But, it worked really well...not only can I see out the window now, but when standing behind the car I can read the gauges in the dash. Great stuff. Just do a search on the Meguiars website.
Motor City Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 11:53 PM   #4
gdh
CF Senior Member

Default Re: how do I remove scratches from plastic rear window on convertible top? (Motor City Vette)

toothpaste works great as well - and no flavour doesn't matter.
gdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 09:17 AM   #5
Frankenvette
CF Senior Member

Default Re: how do I remove scratches from plastic rear window on convertible top? (gdh)

toothpaste :crazy: who knew you can prevent tooth decay and clean plastic all at the same time. should I rinse with mouthwash afterwards :D serioulsy...I'll try the toothpaste first. If that does not work, I'll try the 3M plastic polish. Thanks for the suggestions.
Frankenvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:30 AM   #6
frank0075
CF Senior Member

Classic car on the speed channel just did a piece on that!
frank0075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 11:13 AM   #7
Master Ho
CF Senior Member

Try Flitz.
Master Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:43 PM   #8
Legend73

Once you have it descratched, use either a rolled up towel or top pillow sold in Ecklers, Zip etc. Both will keep the plastic from getting any abrasions. :thumbs:
Legend73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:25 AM   #9
LakotasRose
CF Senior Member

Send a message via MSN to LakotasRose Send a message via Yahoo to LakotasRose
Default Re: how do I remove scratches from plastic rear window on convertible top? (Legend73)

Hey Jim!! You FINALLY got a top for it!!?? :thumbs:
LakotasRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 03:26 AM   #10
RHD '68 L89
CF Senior Member

Default Re: how do I remove scratches from plastic rear window on convertible top? (Legend73)

I use an old blanket to prevent the vinyl from scratching the plastic. Just put it in when you lift up the rear of the top to open the deck.
:cheers:
RHD '68 L89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 06:41 AM   #11
JBR
CF Senior Member

Mothers makes a plastic polish. I have used on a buffing wheel, works great. I'll have to start using the towel or pillow, I have the same problem. New top in 3 weeks. :hurray:
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:55 AM   #12
JJ Deuce
CF Senior Member

http://www.eastwood.com/itemdy01.asp?T1=40000&Dep_Key1=plagla
JJ Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 10:55 AM

Go Back   Corvette Forum > C3 Corvettes, 1968 - 1982 > C3 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page how do I remove scratches from plastic rear window on convertible top?

Tags
cabrio, cleaning, cloudy, concertible, convertible, cover, plastic, rear, remove, removing, scratches, toothpaste, top, tops, window, windows