C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Newbie" C3 owner looking for expert Vette repair in Indianapolis

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 09:41 AM
Vette X 3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default "Newbie" C3 owner looking for expert Vette repair in Indianapolis

Well, like many others I took the plunge and bought my first Vette, an '82 CE off Ebay of all places! Can't believe I bought one sight unseen and never driven, but for 10K I wasn't risking too awful much for low miles and straight body, clean title. After putting 400 miles getting it back to Indy w/o problems, it just quit on me leaving me stranded. Died like someone yanked the fuel pump outta the tank which is likely close to the truth- Cranking, I just get dribble out of the injectors so it's been towed to a local garage. ECM, fuel pump, or F.P. relay I suspect. The gas gauge never worked either as it stays pegged on way past "Full". Sender is big bucks so maybe a ground wire is the root of both???

Anyway, since I am new to owning a vette, but have owned and built muscle cars in my past I need to start forging a longer-term relationship with someone local in Indy I can trust to guide me right on C3 restoration, engine mods, etc. Any Ideas guys?

I love this forum and have followed Vette Net forum for years when I had my Trans Am, Firehawk, and 30th SS Camaro. Got lots of great LT1 help from the Vette guys, but this crossfire deal is going to challenge me, I'm sure!
I have to get this thing into the low 14's at least to maintain credibility with the wife.

Bill
'82 CE
Old 04-20-2004, 09:47 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Default Re: "Newbie" C3 owner looking for expert Vette repair in Indianapolis (boodyman)

Welcome to the insanity! :crazy:

Can't help you with the crossfire but I'm sure many will chime in here to assist you.

We need pics. Please post some here soon! :yesnod:

Good Luck w/the new toy!

:seeya
Old 04-20-2004, 11:08 AM
slaine
Instructor

Default Re: "Newbie" C3 owner looking for expert Vette repair in Indianapolis (boodyman)

Welcome to the world of C3's. I think that there's a fairly new Corvette shop up on US37 near Noblesville. I've watched several corvette shops come and go over the years. I gave up on dealing with any of them. This new shop might be different. If I can find the name, I'll give it to you. Indy NEEDS a good corvette shop. Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on a nice vette.
Mike
Old 04-20-2004, 09:01 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

you need the cross-fire injection forum .iam up here in columbia city IN :cheers:
Old 04-20-2004, 10:56 PM
Vette X 3
Racer

Thanks to all that have responded. I hope my post was proper for this forum-that is, asking for a recommendation for repair rather than a product. I am subscribed to the crossfire forum as well so will be using all the knowledge base until you all get sick of me!
Repair shop that has my car called today. Found the fuse in the battery box that feeds the ECM and the fuel pump blown. Also said the ECM and the fuse showed white rust so it has been getting wet in there...T-Tops leaking? Anyway, there were no pulses (duh) at the injectors so the ECM fuse was looked at and replaced which allowed the car to start right away. However, after about a minute the fuel pump quit. The mechanic said if he tapped the pump it would run for awhile more then quit again. Since my fuel gauge doesn't work I emplored him to run a redundant ground wire, but he said he was pretty sure by looking at all the rust and crud in the tank and on the pump inlet that the pump NEEDED to be replaced. So, I guess a $600 fuel gauge sender will go in with the new pump-he wouldn't put in an '85 pump as it wasn't their "policy" to mix and match with repair jobs. I guess I'll do it myself later...
Anyway, when he went to shut the car off, he said he turned the key and it just kept running! WTF? Only had car running 1 day, but it always shut off 'till now. Gheez, what next? Thinking that the car sat for many years that I should try to put in a new tank, I find GM has none anywhere in the US and re-productions aren't out there yet for '82's that I could find. So, I luck out and find a used but "as-new" tank, sender, and pump out of a wrecked '82 that has been in an attic since 1983. The guy even WD-40'd the entire inside of the tank when he pulled it to keep it pristine. Thought the Vette GODS where smiling at me, but once again the mechanic says he won't put in a 20 year old pump and sender, plus he says dropping the tank is a "real hassle".

Ergo: Why I need a real Vette shop in Indy until I know enough to screw it up myself.... If I hadn't had to tow it, I'd likely have it running by now-live and learn. Now, if I could just figure out how to get this "nugget" into the low 14's I'll be glad I kept it!! Until then, I'll just stand in my empty driveway and wave at the C6's as they go by ;-(

Bill
'82 CE -- still a bargain at $10k, plus parts.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:30 AM
bdenny
Advanced

If you find a Corvette repair shop in Indy, let me know. My e-mail is intime2be@gmail.com I live near Greenwood. Send me your e-mail address.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 03-21-2017, 05:56 PM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

I sure hope he, did this was from 2004

Get notified of new replies

To "Newbie" C3 owner looking for expert Vette repair in Indianapolis

Quick Reply: "Newbie" C3 owner looking for expert Vette repair in Indianapolis