C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difficulty of swapping a ZZ4 into my 81?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2004, 06:01 AM
SharkByte
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Difficulty of swapping a ZZ4 into my 81?

I've done pretty much everything else. Rebuilt the rear suspension, new tranny, new interrior, new front suspension and Steeriods just waiting for the time to install... I'm down to paint an a motor to having the 81' the way I want it. My goal is that when the California emmissions inspectors (who will never see my Vette since it stays registered in Arkansas) look under the hood of my car they will think its stock.

I've pretty much settled on the ZZ4 but I have a few questions since I've never done a motor swap before and I want to know what I'm getting myself into before I do it. Will all the stock junk, Air Cleaner, Smog parts, A/C Compressor etc bolt up to a ZZ4 in the stock configuration? Will my stock Valve Covers fit it? Will I be able to close the stock hood with the original Air Cleaner? I'm still considering using the stinger hood and building a functional ram air intake but thats going to be a year or two down the road when I get it painted and the rest of the body work done. How will a ZZ4 effect the operation of the cars computer controlled carb? I may re-jet the original Q-jet but I'm not really sure I'll need to with this motor.

My last concern, I have a relativly new TH-350 with a shift kit in it that I plan on eventually swapping out for a built 700R4. I'm also going to swap my 2.xx rear gears for 3.55's when I do the motor swap. Will a ZZ4 destroy my TH-350 or "should" it be able to handle the 355hp and 400ft-lbs of torque the ZZ4 is supposed to produce? I know this setup will be a huge upgrade in performance to my original 101k mile L-81 but will it be a good tradeoff between performance and drivability? I plan on doing some runs down the drag strip and would like to put some decent mid 13 second times up on the board but I live on the california coast and a nice leasurly cruise up and down highway 1 won't be an uncommon occurance on weekends either.

Is there anything else I'm missing? Any pitfalls those who have done this before can help keep me from hitting? Any idea's on how to improve the overall setup? Anything that just won't work :lol: ?

Old 05-01-2004, 07:45 AM
Dalannex
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Re: Difficulty of swapping a ZZ4 into my 81? (SharkByte)

I don't know much about the ZZ4 as far as specs go, but when the people start coming out of the woodwork telling you that the computer controlled carb won't work with a ZZ4 make sure to ask them if they know how it works. Seems to me that the ZZ4 is not a real wild engine build and it pulls a good vacuum at idle. As long as it does the computer controled carb will work fine. Sorry I can't help with any of the factory equipment fitment questions.

-Justin
Old 05-01-2004, 08:04 AM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 755 Likes on 525 Posts

Default Re: Difficulty of swapping a ZZ4 into my 81? (Dalannex)

See the link in my sig....should be of some help to you.
Old 05-01-2004, 09:02 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Default Re: Difficulty of swapping a ZZ4 into my 81? (theandies)

The hardest part is not stomping on the gas all the time... It's a basic GM motor swap. The heads are angle plug, but everything else is standard GM bolt patterns.
Old 05-01-2004, 10:53 PM
Brown78
Burning Brakes

If this will help. My ZZ4 went into my "78" real easy . Didn't have to change the hood, But I do have the L-82 hood. As far as all that smog and stuff. I don't know I live in Florida and we don't have car inspections. I do know the stock valve covers won't fit a new ZZ4. ZZ4 is center line bolts and the water pump has to be changed to the shorty water pump. I don't think you can put Q-Jet on a ZZ4 intake. GM recommends a Holly 750cfm carb. double pumper. Good luck, keep us posted on the out come of your leg work. :banghead: I hope putting in my 2 cents helped you a little. :seeya
Old 05-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Difficulty of swapping a ZZ4 into my 81? (Brown78)

A couple of good things about a ZZ4 intake is that it will accept either a spreadbore or squarebore carburetor. It is a low profile design and has provisions for EGR and hot air choke. I have one I'll sell if anyone is interested.
Old 05-02-2004, 12:50 AM
71coupe
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You need to have it smog checked in California with out-of-state plates?
Old 05-02-2004, 01:39 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

I've pretty much settled on the ZZ4 but I have a few questions since I've never done a motor swap before and I want to know what I'm getting myself into before I do it.
Excellent choice of motor, and good idea to get the information up front.
Will all the stock junk, Air Cleaner, Smog parts, A/C Compressor etc bolt up to a ZZ4 in the stock configuration?
Yes!! All will bolt right up in stock locations.
Will my stock Valve Covers fit it?
No. the ZZ4 uses the centerbolt valve covers. Paint them light blue, or leave them stock black and they look pretty stock.
Will I be able to close the stock hood with the original Air Cleaner?
Yes, with room to spare.
I'm still considering using the stinger hood and building a functional ram air intake but thats going to be a year or two down the road when I get it painted and the rest of the body work done. How will a ZZ4 effect the operation of the cars computer controlled carb? I may re-jet the original Q-jet but I'm not really sure I'll need to with this motor.
You "may" have to go to one step bigger jets in the front, and I would definitely step up to smaller size rods in the rear. I have some from my Q-Jet when I was running it, and if you want me to I could look to see what size rods I was running in the rear.
My last concern, I have a relatively new TH-350 with a shift kit in it that I plan on eventually swapping out for a built 700R4. I'm also going to swap my 2.xx rear gears for 3.55's when I do the motor swap. Will a ZZ4 destroy my TH-350 or "should" it be able to handle the 355hp and 400ft-lbs of torque the ZZ4 is supposed to produce?
Depends on how fresh the tranny is. My ZZ4 did kill my stock, untouched 90,000 mile 350C transmission in less than 1000 miles. I now have a 700R4 in there now. The 3.55's with the 700R4 and about a 2000 - 2200 torque converter should be VERY NICE!
I know this setup will be a huge upgrade in performance to my original 101k mile L-81 but will it be a good trade-off between performance and drivability? I plan on doing some runs down the drag strip and would like to put some decent mid 13 second times up on the board but I live on the California coast and a nice leisurely cruise up and down highway 1 won't be an uncommon occurrence on weekends either.

Is there anything else I'm missing? Any pitfalls those who have done this before can help keep me from hitting? Any idea's on how to improve the overall setup? Anything that just won't work :lol: ?
I documented the install of the ZZ4 in my 1980. Check it out at http://www.arizonavette.net/zz4 for plenty of information on the entire swap.

[Modified by BSeery, 10:43 PM 5/1/2004]
Old 05-02-2004, 03:29 AM
SharkByte
Le Mans Master

Default Re: Difficulty of swapping a ZZ4 into my 81? (71coupe)

You need to have it smog checked in California with out-of-state plates?
In order to legally get a DOD sticker so I can park it on base I have to pass California smog. For the first year I was at Vandenberg AFB I had a valid decal from Hill AFB Utah on it. My decal from Hill expired about the same time I parked the car so I've just left it illegally parked with a cover over it for the last year or so. Noone notices a quick trip around the block once a month or so just to move the tires and run the engine:)

As far as getting it smogged goes, I'll let the guy look at it and see if he can get it to pass. If he can great, if not its no big deal:)

BSeery -- Thanks:) I'm looking through your project now. Thats exactly what I needed :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Difficulty of swapping a ZZ4 into my 81?

Quick Reply: Difficulty of swapping a ZZ4 into my 81?