C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Fog, weirdness in the 77

Old 05-03-2004, 02:56 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default The Fog, weirdness in the 77

I took the 77 out for a small run on Sat. Nothing major just ran some errands and stretched her legs a little, I was waiting in a drive through to pick up a quick dinner (Just didn't feel like cooking that night) and a fog started coming through my defroster in the dash :confused: I wasn't overly concerned because this happend during the cold months and it wasn't smoke and it wasn't ALOT, it also didn't smell like anything except maybe a little musty.
I asked Corz about it and he said he had seen it before as well and it was nothing to be alarmed about. Now it was about 78 degrees out and my window started fogging a little, since the heat/ac doesn't work I am wondering, what is the cause of this? Anyone have any clues?

Thanks in advance! :cheers:

[Modified by Madmikeee, 2:57 PM 5/3/2004]
Old 05-03-2004, 03:38 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: The Fog, weirdness in the 77 (Madmikeee)

Same thing happened to me on a daily driver when the heater core started leaking.

Steve :steering:
Old 05-03-2004, 03:42 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: The Fog, weirdness in the 77 (stpman)

Same thing happened to me on a daily driver when the heater core started leaking.

:eek: :cry
PLEASE Don't tell me that :banghead:

The weird part is I figure it would smell like antifreeze but it doesn't, plus there are no tell tail signs of a leak, ie no wet floorboards no smell nothing.

[Modified by Madmikeee, 3:43 PM 5/3/2004]
Old 05-03-2004, 03:47 PM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

The weird part is I figure it would smell like antifreeze but it doesn't, plus there are no tell tail signs of a leak, ie no wet floorboards no smell nothing.

My heater core went 2 years ago ...... same series of events. Sorry man ....
Old 05-03-2004, 03:48 PM
stpman
Melting Slicks

This one went all of a sudden without warning (wife was driving and it freaked her out)
Old 05-03-2004, 03:50 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: The Fog, weirdness in the 77 (75Rag)

My heater core went 2 years ago ...... same series of events. Sorry man ....
poopie... maybe that's why my damn temp gauge isn't working, (air in the system in a modern LT1 is baaaad mkaaay) This also means I probably have to bleed the friggin LT1 which is gonna be a PITA.

[Modified by Madmikeee, 3:51 PM 5/3/2004]
Old 05-03-2004, 03:53 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

I would guess bad heater core also. You might want to consider eliminating the flow through the heater by removing the hoses and plugging the manifold and water pump. The interior will be cooler during the summer. I did this and since I don't drive it in the winter, I haven't missed the heater.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:55 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: The Fog, weirdness in the 77 (BKbroiler)

I would guess bad heater core also. You might want to consider eliminating the flow through the heater by removing the hoses and plugging the manifold and water pump. The interior will be cooler during the summer. I did this and since I don't drive it in the winter, I haven't missed the heater.
Problem is I don't know what kind of an effect that will have on the LT1, But I am going to check on the C4 forum to see if this would be a problem. My MAIN concern is air in the reverse cooling system.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:57 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

OK folks, if I decide to go ahead and R&R the core, how big of a job am I looking at? I remember doing it my 68 camaro BB and it was a PITA but only about a 2 hour job taking your time.

so on a vette it will be what? 2-3 week process? :D
Old 05-03-2004, 04:13 PM
75Rag
Melting Slicks

at least .... may as well book your holidays now .... :D actually, not that bad. 2-3 hours w/o air, another 1 or so with.
Old 05-03-2004, 04:19 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: The Fog, weirdness in the 77 (75Rag)

at least .... may as well book your holidays now .... :D actually, not that bad. 2-3 hours w/o air, another 1 or so with.
ya know looking at some of the tuts out there it doesn't look all that bad. Plus I could really use to get behind my dash anyway as there are a few things I would like to check out.

I will order up a new core and have it pressure tested then do it up. My car is an AC car but I plan on leaving it alone, getting it to work with the LT1 setup would be a PITA and I think I will save that as an "optional" project for much later down the road :)
Old 05-03-2004, 04:30 PM
69MA
Instructor

I had a similar problem. Got the fog, no smell and it turned out to be the condenser in the AC. Just my two cents
Old 05-03-2004, 04:42 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Default Re: The Fog, weirdness in the 77 (69MA)

I had a similar problem. Got the fog, no smell and it turned out to be the condenser in the AC. Just my two cents
that would make alot of sense in my case, except for one problem.. My AC isn't functional, IE no condensor (Unless it is somewhere other than near the radiator.

Get notified of new replies

To The Fog, weirdness in the 77

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Fog, weirdness in the 77