C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater Hoses for A/C equipped 68?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Robbo
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Heater Hoses for A/C equipped 68?

The A/C belt rubbed a hole in one of the heater hoses. Looking on Zip & Ecklers when they list hoses sets for my year 1968 they specifically list "w/o A/C", but list sets for cars with A/C for different years.

Is that going to matter? Is it just a matter of the kit not haveing enough hoses to replace ALL of them? I was just going to replace the one for now... in fact, can I just get the right sized heater hose cut to the correct length? I just want this as a temporary fix until I get time later this summer to do a bunch of other stuff.

It's the hose that comes off the block up front about mid-way down on the passenger side and dissappears back along the block.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 05-11-2004, 09:27 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Default Re: Heater Hoses for A/C equipped 68? (robNdfwTX)

I was just going to replace the one for now... in fact, can I just get the right sized heater hose cut to the correct length? I just want this as a temporary fix until I get time later this summer to do a bunch of other stuff.

It's the hose that comes off the block up front about mid-way down on the passenger side and dissappears back along the block.

Thanks,
Rob
That's what I would do. Buy a length of heater hose at any autoparts store (preferably black, not red) and cut it to the right size. Not sure if it is 3/8" or... one size comes out of the engine block, the other size goes back. I would probably just take a section of the old hose (being careful not to spill coolant all over the place) to the autoparts store to make sure I get the right size. A "kit" would be a big waste of money right now. IMHO :)
Old 05-12-2004, 09:08 AM
Robbo
Drifting

Default Re: Heater Hoses for A/C equipped 68? (PRND21)

(being careful not to spill coolant all over the place)
Too late! :D The coolant went everywhere when the belt rubbed the hole in the hose :( Gotta clean the floor before I can get under it.

Thanks for the info. I'll do just that. Off to Autozone.

Rob
Old 05-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's the scoop... Non A/C cars the hoses go straight in. With A/C the hoses are formed at about 120 deg. Without the formed ends installing them without kinking them is almost impossible.

[Modified by Larry B., 11:16 AM 5/12/2004]
Old 05-12-2004, 03:44 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it's the hose coming from the intake and going to the heater valve, you should be able to use a straight piece of hose from an auto parts store. That's the way it is on my 68 small block w/ac.

[Modified by 68rdstr, 2:49 PM 5/12/2004]
Old 05-12-2004, 04:15 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Heater Hoses for A/C equipped 68? (68rdstr)

It's the ones that go to the heater core(up from the bottom) that give the trouble.
Old 05-12-2004, 04:44 PM
R1234
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Heater Hoses for A/C equipped 68? (Larry B.)

:iagree: Get the hoses with the molded ends. Zip list 2 kits, with and without GM logos M-2633 and M-3235. Theres a $15.00 price difference!
Old 05-12-2004, 06:01 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You only need the pre-bent hoses for the core end. The rest is generic unless your doing an NCRS restoration. Those are also available with the right markings on them.

Hans
Old 05-12-2004, 06:21 PM
maint1
Intermediate

Default Re: Heater Hoses for A/C equipped 68? (Wrencher)

Got both hoses at Checker for about 20.00.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:44 AM
Robbo
Drifting

Default Re: Heater Hoses for A/C equipped 68? (Wrencher)

You only need the pre-bent hoses for the core end. The rest is generic unless your doing an NCRS restoration. Those are also available with the right markings on them.

Hans
I am definately not worried about NCRS right now. I just want something that will hold long enough to drive around the neighborhood once per weekend until we get moved.

Here is the hose in question. (No comments about the condition of surrounding parts either....I just got this car and have been in "limbo" and am not starting to tear into it until we get moved) :D

I was even wondering if I could just kind of "patch" it by cutting out the piece of hose with the hole in it and putting in a fitting to (very temorarily) hold the two ends together (kind of like you would splice a garden hose together) being that at the very least I just want to start it up and drive it on the trailer....then take it off the trailer and put it in the new garage.

Rob :seeya
Old 05-13-2004, 03:46 AM
Robbo
Drifting

Default Re: Heater Hoses for A/C equipped 68? (maint1)

Got both hoses at Checker for about 20.00.
Thanks for the tip. :cheers:

Rob

Get notified of new replies

To Heater Hoses for A/C equipped 68?

Quick Reply: Heater Hoses for A/C equipped 68?