C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic header break-in??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 12:30 AM
Bobbyg75
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ceramic header break-in??

Just bought new set of Dynomax ceramic headers for the freshly rebuilt motor. Motor shop tells me some ceramic headers require a break-in period, which consists of heating the pipes up for a couple minutes then allowing them to cool completely and repeating the heat-up/cool-down several times. You can see the probelm with the cam break-in requirements.

Do Dynomax ceramics require a break-in? Nothing in the literature I received speaks to it.

Thanks,
Bob
Old 05-29-2004, 03:59 AM
Metal Wulf
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Ceramic header break-in?? (Bobbyg75)

I never did that with mine... I just put them in and drove the crap out the car like normal. had them a year and they still look great :thumbs:
Old 05-29-2004, 08:57 AM
den(thevetteman)78
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Re: Ceramic header break-in?? (Metal Wulf)

to break in a fresh motor i ve heard not to use ceramic header for the first time.thats all i know.
Old 05-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Older Than Dirt
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: Ceramic header break-in?? (Bobbyg75)

Here's what Jet-Hot says about their coated headers........

During tuning of certain engines, lean or rich fuel/air mixtures can cause hot spots around 1300 degree F. If you are not very careful, you will damage the coating and possibly the engine. The coating will definitely turn dull and possibly flake off in excess of these temperatures. During this period, we recommend using a large floor fan to cool the entire engine and headers. Ignition timing is critical to exhaust temperatures which are not reflected by the water temperature gauge. It is not unusual to see 190 degree F on the water gauge when internal exhaust temps are exceeding 1300 degree F.
Old 05-29-2004, 12:12 PM
Vetterodder
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Ceramic header break-in?? (Older Than Dirt)

Here's what Jet-Hot says about their coated headers........

Ignition timing is critical to exhaust temperatures which are not reflected by the water temperature gauge.
Make sure that your timing is set right before startup. If you're not sure what the new engine wants, more advance is safer than too little.

Get notified of new replies

To Ceramic header break-in??

Quick Reply: Ceramic header break-in??