C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

79 grounding strap location??

Old 06-30-2004, 10:10 AM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 79 grounding strap location??

Hi, still in the process of getting my newly acquired 1st vette project on the road. Have an apparent ground problem and a prior post suggested checking the grounding strap. I looked in the general vicinity where I was told it would be and didnt see anything. What should I be looking for and exactly where should I be looking, any possibility of a photo anywhere? How many of these straps would a 79 have?
Thx, ESU
Old 06-30-2004, 10:28 AM
My79Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 79 grounding strap location?? (ESU)

Under the drivers side. On the frame. Almost inline with the door pillar. Should be a bolt with a braided grounding strap. If not there, look for a hole where it used to be.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:13 AM
ESU
Drifting

Default Re: 79 grounding strap location?? (My79Vette)

You mean by the front of the door, by the "A" post? I do see a metal flange with a bolt in it that doesnt appear to be holding anything! Would that be it? Where would the other end attach?
Thx.
Old 06-30-2004, 11:43 AM
My79Vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you found it. Should be just behind where the frame starts it's bend upward towards the front of the car on the flat part of the frame. I'll have to take a peek where it goes. My pictures aren't showing it to me. There is also one back at the power antenna. It grounds to the antenna and the frame.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:14 AM
ESU
Drifting

Default Re: 79 grounding strap location?? (My79Vette)

What kind of issues can I expect if both straps are missing? Would it explain why my temp guage goes ballistic every time I turn on the headlights? Might it explain why my interior courtesy lights wont shut off? Also have a drain on the battery?
Old 07-01-2004, 03:21 PM
jetmech
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You should have a strap bolted to the r/h side of the engine and running to the frame and bolted near the lower control arm area. Should also be a strap bolted to the r/h side of the bell housing and maybe going into a wire loom. The ground from the battery comes off of the battery down through a grommet in the bottom of the battery compartment and bolts to the frame real close to the center of the car. Hope this helps.

Get notified of new replies

To 79 grounding strap location??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 79 grounding strap location??