C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Historic Plates Liscensing (in MO)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Garys '68
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Historic Plates Liscensing (in MO)

In the state of MO, personal property tax assessment for "Historic" vehicles (over 25 years old) is about 10% of regular vehicle asserssments. However, with historic plates, you're only supposed to drive to/from events & maintenence, not more than 100 miles.
Anyone out there in MO got Historic plates? Is this actually enforced?
Gary
Old 07-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I knew one person with historic plates. He was suppose to keep a log book of his mileage. Not much of a problem since it was a '57 p/u w/ 44" tires and the speedo had not been corrected. He estimated that he could drive 4 times the allowed amount without crossing the odometer over the limit.

However, you should check this out, just waiting for the governer to sign:
http://www.senate.state.mo.us/04info/bills/sb900.htm
Old 07-08-2004, 12:48 PM
Garys '68
Racer

No emmisions required on cars over 30 years old now.
Yep, supposed to keep a log and not drive over 1000 miles/year with Historic, but who is going to check?
I was just concerned that I might get pulled over more often for having the Historic plates, ie, on a weekday.
Gary
Old 07-08-2004, 02:09 PM
Mythreevettes
Heel & Toe

Gary, the requirements for the historic vehicle plates here in Mo. are that the vehicle cannot be driven for personal use more than 1000 miles per year. A vehicle log must be maintained and carried in the vehicle whenever used. You may also use the vehicle in route to repairs within a 100 mile radius and you have unlimited mileage to exhibitions or for educational purposes. The log book must be completed on a yearly basis and be retained for one year thereafter. In lieu of a new log book annually a single book (or more) may be used at the owners election. Hope this helps. Steve

Originally Posted by Garys '68
In the state of MO, personal property tax assessment for "Historic" vehicles (over 25 years old) is about 10% of regular vehicle asserssments. However, with historic plates, you're only supposed to drive to/from events & maintenence, not more than 100 miles.
Anyone out there in MO got Historic plates? Is this actually enforced?
Gary
Old 07-08-2004, 03:07 PM
Garys '68
Racer

OK, now back to the big questions:
Is the logbook, 1000 miles enforced?
Has anyone EVER been checked.
re Historic tags pulled over more?
Is there any process to check, ie no safety or emissions check, when would they look?
What's the penalty?
There are plenty of laws on the books that are impractical or unenforcible. This looks like one. And no emmisions test, no safety inspection, cheaper taxes, never need to renew plates.
Gary
Old 07-08-2004, 03:40 PM
Ak. Mal
Race Director

Location: Kansas City, MO ...I'd like to go fishing and catch a fishstick. That'd be convenient. - Mitch Hedberg
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never mind, I missed the part of the one time registration fee.

From what my friend with historic tags told me, if pulled over, the officer will check the log and verify the distance from home and reason behind the trip.

Last edited by Ak. Mal; 07-08-2004 at 03:44 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on Historic Plates Liscensing (in MO)

Quick Reply: Question on Historic Plates Liscensing (in MO)