C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have you hit with your Vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 09:38 AM
68shark
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My car hit a hockey stick.

Correction: A hockey stick hit my hood and fenders, three times. How did that happen? My now ex-wife went into a rage and decided to take it out on the car. Couple of minor scrapes....thankfully it wasn't a "steel" car. Claimed I loved the car more than her. (true). Any wonder she is now an "ex"?
Old 07-09-2004, 10:00 AM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

To explain the washing machine, as someone posted earlier, you just can't tell how long that front end is. So there's a washing machine sitting in my garage, and I'm trying to pull all the way in to allow the door to close, not much room for error as the washing machine happens to be right in the middle where the farthest pointing part of the nose is. It scraped some paint off, but its all good b/c the car needs a paint job anyway!

Oh, and Cali, since you asked, I just wanna say that that rabbit with pancake on its head is just plain hilarious!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 11:39 AM
Freepop
Pro

Originally Posted by SCVetteGuy
Oh, and Cali, since you asked, I just wanna say that that rabbit with pancake on its head is just plain hilarious!!!

When my dad owned it, he hit a deer on the right side and shattered the front fender. The next day grandma was backing outa the garage and scraped the left fender (that scrape is still visible, bubba repair)

I have hit a couple of birds, one a pheasant. Hit so hard it knocked a headlight out and feathers EVERYWHERE!

This was a very funny thread.

Last edited by Freepop; 07-09-2004 at 11:42 AM.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:46 AM
03ki11er
Drifting

Received 67 Likes on 21 Posts

Bumped into the lawnmower pulling into the garage. One time i punched it while it was raining next thing you know I was turned sideways doing 70mph and took out about 5 construction cones! I was 17, give me a break!
Old 07-09-2004, 11:49 AM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Originally Posted by Freepop
Look at Cali's signature, you'll see it.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:52 AM
COMMANDER370
Burning Brakes

Toyota 4 wheel drive truck that ran a red light.that fiberglass sure flies!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 01:04 PM
danboback
Melting Slicks

I came very close to running over a cat on my lunch break, I guess I can say that my four wheel disc brakes are in tip top shape
Dan
Old 07-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I picked up my brand new 1976 Vette at the dealer and proceeded to a local hockey game. I parked way in the back in a multilevel parking ramp. Since this was my first Corvette, I misjudged just how long the front end stuck out. I nosed it into a concrete pillar in the ramp. It left a very small vertical scuff mark in the rubber bumper. The car must have had 3 miles on it!!! I left the scuff mark as a memento to my stupidity.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:27 PM
SuprJames
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A no u-turn sign in the median jumped out in front of me once. Totaled my car, but I put it back together.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:12 PM
Slick McFavorite
Instructor

Bought my vette from my Uncle in Idaho. Drove it by myself all the way home to Texas. Fun drive but scarry. Was running the home stretch on a dark night and a third lane opened up on the left. Well I wouldn't be driving a vette if I didn't take the fast lane so I changed over. Turns out it wasn't a lane but the beginning of a U-turn lane that I couldn't see the end of because they didn't have any reflectors anywhere. Ran right off the road at about 60mph onto the grassy median. Pulled back on the road and over to the right shoulder. Had a fight with myself.

Second thing I hit was about a million bugs on the aformentioned trip.

Third thing (worst) was the back of an SUV with a tow hitch. Road was oily after a short rain following a long drought and I couldn't stop. Hit it at about 10-15mph. I got my front-end rebuilt and a new black paint job. (Old one was brown)

Since then I've learned a lot and have hit it with nothing but wrenches, time and money while removing the transmission and engine myself to make room to get my passenger-side a-arm bracket replaced (and future engine rebuild and th350 to 2004R switchover) as it was removing itself from the x-member and causing the car to steer funny. I'll be checking the dimensions of the frame too while I have it there. Wish me luck, i'll be taking it to the frame shop within the next few weeks.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:20 PM
Larry B.
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Love bugs! I hate those little basta**s.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:21 PM
theesir
Instructor

Default An "almost" just last night

Didn't hit, but close enough....
My frined is in from out of town and wanted to take a ride in the car. I live in an area that is encrouching quite a bit into nature and there are quite a few deer.
I don't often open the car up (I baby my old girl) but decided to play and was up to about 75mph when less than a 1/4 mile ahead a big deer bounded across the road. Brake.... downshift... drive car home like a nice boy. A few seconds later and my friend and I would be collecting the pieces of my car off the road.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:24 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

a very steep speed bump, ripped off the front spoiler, mangled the frame extension and cracked all the bonding adhesive on the front.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:52 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

I hit a full and upright sitting large truck tire tread. I was in the center lane on the freeway, and the SUV in front of me passed over it, not problem. When it appeared there was not enough time to process what I was seeing, look over my shoulder to see if the left lane was clear and move, so I had to hit it. I tried to hit it dead on, but it was taller than my bumper and boy was it loud as it made its way under my lowered Vette. Strangely, I was on my way to my mechanic's shop, so I got it on a lift and thankfully, no damage beyond the rubber marks on the bottom of the bumper.
Old 07-09-2004, 06:40 PM
79 vette
Instructor

130 Mph :d
Old 07-09-2004, 07:20 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by 79 vette
130 Mph :d
Over 140 -- I say over because that is as far as the speedo went, and the C5's I was chasing kept going.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:33 PM
i885744
Pro

Ahhhh, mid project, the 73' rolled from the top of my VERY STEEP driveway, with no ebrake on, not in gear, over my right hand, over 3 wheel chocks, and into the wall of my garage, destroying a 4 foot wide portion of my house, and a 2000 dollar garage door. Compared to the house the vette's damage was quite comical. I had to repaint the front bumper and about 8 inches worth of the driver's fender. Gotta love that urethane front end.

Get notified of new replies

To What have you hit with your Vette

Old 07-09-2004, 07:48 PM
RHD '68 L89
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It wasn't in the Vette but I hit a wheel which had come off an axle of a tandem trailer. It was late at night on a freeway and the wheel was still rolling down the road. Saw it, thought what's that? recognised it, slammed on the brakes and hit on the left front of my 68 bonnie. the Bonnie rode up over it and jumped a few feet in the air while destroying several things underneath. The front left hubcap came off, launched into the air, and landed on the rear window scratching the glass as well. Flexed the whole car causing little dents where you wouldn't expect them
Luckily the owner of the wheel had stopped and I got his details to pass on to my insurance.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:27 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

(144 in the Lincoln)

on the interstate...
A pressure cooker
A 4x4 about 36" long. Boy did THAT suck.
A cat
A racoon
A couple squirrels
A couple birds
A couple curbs
A table saw in the garage

And none of that was in the Vette.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:01 PM
darrentpi
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hit a drain pipe cover hole, that was uncovered, my hole tire went in and out of the hole, I was really mad, infact I personally stopped and put the cover back on, then called the city! luckly no damage, except load vibration from the fiberglass, man I was choked,, never again!
DM.

Quick Reply: What have you hit with your Vette