C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What have you hit with your Vette

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 11:29 PM
DP77Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by SCVetteGuy
A cat, a washing machine, and once, I almost hit a duck.
To explain the washing machine, as someone posted earlier, you just can't tell how long that front end is. So there's a washing machine sitting in my garage, and I'm trying to pull all the way in to allow the door to close, not much room for error as the washing machine happens to be right in the middle where the farthest pointing part of the nose is. It scraped some paint off, but its all good b/c the car needs a paint job anyway!

[SIZE=1]Here's the truth on SCVetteGuy - I live in the same town and someone has been running thru laundrymats killing the machines!!!!! Now I know who it was!!!![/SIZE]
Old 07-09-2004, 11:43 PM
surfolly
Advanced

One dark night on I-26, I hit a spare tire that fell from the bed of a 3/4 ton pickup truck. My girlfriend, her cat and I all hit our heads on the inside roof of the 'Vette when we ran over it at 65mph. I was on it before I could react, and it was the worst sound I have ever heard. I had no trouble pulling over to the emergency lane as the right A-arm was bent and the front wheel was pointing at a right angle to the rest of the car.

Another car was pulled over just ahead that had hit the same spare just prior to me, and the owner of the truck was trying to assist him. We all agreed to meet at the Shoney's just off the exit as the fellow with the truck claimed responsibility. We all cringed (yes, the cat too) as my car barely made it to the exit, and when I got there the other motorist was there with his damaged car, but the truck guy was no where to be found. By then, two separate highway patrol cars had arrived, and as I was talking to them I saw the truck guy and his wife drive by on an adjacent road, and they were looking right at us but not stopping.

When I pointed out the truck, the patrolman told me to hop into his cruiser and we blasted off down the road. Anyway it was rather exciting barrelling through traffic, catching up with the guy, and watching the patrolman run the license on his computer, and then flicking on the blue lights when it showed that the fellow had a suspended license and no insurance. Of course, I ultimately had to cover the insurance deductible myself to repair the a-arm, exhaust system and front rubber.

I gotta admit though, it was kind of cool to be on the other side of the blue lights for a change...
Old 07-10-2004, 12:14 AM
DOZBOB
Advanced

I wiped out a swarm of bees...with my t-tops off
Old 07-10-2004, 12:36 AM
79ls1
Racer

About 3000 cicadas. :shocked:
This is a funny thread.
Old 07-10-2004, 01:46 AM
ricer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Desertdawg
I hit a poor coyote on the way home one night.
Ol' Desertdawg's '82 wasn't built by GM in Bowling Green; it came from the ACME Coyote Killing Company!!!

But it does have a ported CFI intake.....

(I'm back!!!!! Guess who?)
Old 07-10-2004, 01:58 AM
Jeo
Racer

We narrowly missed a tire in the road today....two days in a row might not have been as lucky the second time. never thought i would get such a response to my ladder story. -Jeo
Old 07-10-2004, 03:04 PM
SCVetteGuy
Racer

Aww c'mon DP77Vette, that was only one time that I went through that laundromat, and it ain't gonna happen again.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:16 PM
SpyderD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a tight turn to get into my garage from my driveway. I've hit, well "brushed", the side of my garage door entrance at least three times with that long vette front end trying to get into or out of my garage. My polyurethane front bumper is painted black while the rest of the car is red (for some reason one of the previous owners pealed off the red paint on the polyurethane bumper) so the result of the brush is usually a white ugly scratch on the vette front bumper.
No problem - I wipe down the bumper, whip out the black can of spray paint and give it a coat, and I am on my way. The black bumper believe it or not doesn't look that bad at all in contrast to the red.
Old 07-10-2004, 06:13 PM
lowvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by darrentpi
I hit a drain pipe cover hole, that was uncovered, my hole tire went in and out of the hole, I was really mad, infact I personally stopped and put the cover back on, then called the city! luckly no damage, except load vibration from the fiberglass, man I was choked,, never again!
DM.
So, it was YOU that trapped me down there!
Old 07-10-2004, 07:20 PM
jcswm
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have hit several pylons with every car I've owned since I found out about AutoCross... The corvette will hit a few next year!!!
So far...... No hits yet!!
Old 07-10-2004, 10:41 PM
ZL1powr
Pro

I hit a rabit at 65 mph and it broke fiberglass under the grill. Another time I came around a curve at a fair rate of spead and could not miss a dead deer laying in the middle of my lane. I checked under the car when I got home and found a leg hanging from the rear spring and quite a mess under the remainder of the car.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:20 PM
noblejr
Advanced

The first time i drove my Vette I tapped my other car when I pulled up behind it, and a few months ago I barely tapped the garage door. The only damage was a small blue nick in the garage door.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:21 PM
8T1-7T9 BIONIC VETTE
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Ricer" did a long burn-out in water box.
Brought water inside fender wells up to line.
I was was next on the line.
Nailed the throttle out of the hole.
Car went crazy.....into rail on tower side.
Long yellow streak running down rail in tower lane.
I own that "Yellow Streak" on the rail.....Paid $5,000.00
Old 07-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by danboback
I came very close to running over a cat on my lunch break, I guess I can say that my four wheel disc brakes are in tip top shape
Dan
Mine are not. This is my year for animal slaying. Up until this year I had NEVER hit an animal. (well, not hard enough to hurt it.. was a rather comical bird incident but it flew away.) Anyhow, just a couple weeks ago on my way home from work, two cats ran out of some tall grass. One cat was chasing the other crossing the road. I got on the brake pretty hard but not enough to lock up. At that point they were running straight across the road and would have made it.... instead they turned and ran straight at me. I hit both cats with both driver's side tires. :shocked:

Not a scratch (or wad of fur) on the car though.
Old 07-11-2004, 12:00 AM
80TexasC3
"Rodstoration &am p;quot; In Progres
Support Corvetteforum!

Lately? Lots and Lots of bugs...
Old 07-12-2004, 11:35 AM
77BuffaloVet
Racer

This post is great!!!.

I was traveling down the highway this weekend when the car next to me kicked up a piece of shredded truck tire, which bounced off the hood of the car and then the windshield. It scared the daylights out of me. The story ends well though. The two girls in the car that kicked up the tire slowed down to say they were sorry, which I thought was cool and when I got home the black marks from the tire came right off and there was just one little scratch that buffed out pretty well.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:24 PM
Kevin_73
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

I ran over a skunk doing about 35mph one night. I have no idea what Pepe Le Pue's fate was after the encounter, but I know he lived long enough to spray the entire underside of my car. The smell lingered for several weeks and I had one heck of a time keeping my dogs away from the vette during that time.

I also managed to hit my garage door with the back of the hood one day. I was working on the engine in the gargage and decided to back it into the driveway while setting the timing so I could work in fresh air, but I didn't realize that with the hood up it wouldn't clear the garage door . As I am backing out I hear the most god-awful noise and look up to see the two points on the hood hooked into the bottom of the garage door .
Luckily it didn't do any damage to either the car or the door, but it scared the crap out of me. I won't be making that mistake again.

Get notified of new replies

To What have you hit with your Vette

Old 07-12-2004, 02:52 PM
ElCid79
Drifting

Received 190 Likes on 105 Posts

I hit a grave yard... get to know me well and I may tell you the whole story... scared the **** out of me...
Old 07-12-2004, 05:35 PM
68BLUEVETTE
Instructor

Got attacked by christmas one year not in the vette. Was going 50 down a two lane highway in left hand lane when the straps holding the christmas tree on the car in front of me came loose. Have nightmares every christmas now of evil christmas trees attacking me in my car.
Old 05-15-2015, 02:16 PM
Ryan427
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

A friend of mine hit a cougar with his '78 Silver Anniversary way back in the day. He was cruising through a canyon in Utah one night, and the big cat jumped out in front of him.

The best part is that he then hefted the dead mountain lion on his hood and drove it home (who needs tie downs when you have fender flares like these) ... figured with all that damage done he'd at least go to a taxidermist and get a souvenir out of it!

Quick Reply: What have you hit with your Vette