C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reinstall AC

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 09:26 AM
Plumbroke
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinstall AC

My AC was removed by previous owner and brackets as well, I believe it was due to header installation. I would like to reinstall it but have heard that the brackets will not fit now. Have others converted the brackets or have they started from scratch, Is there any aftermarket brackets or brackets from other cars that might work with the headers? Anybody here remove the AC for weight that would be interested in selling the brackets and compressor. I have a mechanic friend willing to help me get the AC working again but wants me to get the brackets and compressor in place so all he is doing is the AC work. Thanks in advance for any help

Mike 78
Old 07-22-2004, 09:35 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Mike

The stock R4 compressor bracket will work w/ headers.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:44 AM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Hi-
Summitracing sells a bracket for the stock A/C unit that is used for header installation. I clearanced my stock bracket with a grinder and used aluminun tube with some long bolts to attach. If you don't have the bracket to fit the passenger side of the motor, I would suggest using the item from Summit.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:48 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Gearhead

That's for the A6, not needed on 78 R4.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:28 AM
Mr.Gearhead
Burning Brakes

Is he going R4? I thought by his question he meant in needing brackets with headers he was going with long style compressor (A6). Isn't the A6 better anyway?
Old 07-22-2004, 10:37 AM
Plumbroke
Intermediate

Ok I'm a virgin here can I get some descriptions when we are talking about when you say R4 vs. A6. I will be redoing a good portion of the AC since compressor is MIA so I will probably convert to 134A vs. r12. I don't want to go broke on it but I don't want to save $20 at the expense of installing something that isn't as good. So I guess I should rephrase my question .
Given my AC was removed including the brackets and compressor, Lines and back are still in place. What is the best way to do this while still reasonably cost effective

Mike 78
Old 07-22-2004, 10:48 AM
FeedVaal
Burning Brakes

Your original compressor was an R-4 type - about 5 inches deep,the a-6 is the older, longer style which most agree is a better unit but requires a lot more space. If you have to replace your compressor anyway, why not go with a Sanden - much better than either for a 134a conversion IMHO. Check out http://www.hotrodair.com.They will have your brackets for the conversion too.
Old 07-22-2004, 10:53 AM
Ganey
Race Director

Gearhead

For performance one would want the smallest lightest compressor that would do the job. Depends, there are + & - to them.
R4 + Lighter & out of the way.
A6 + Evidently one of the best compressors - big & heavy.

Originally Posted by Plumbroke
... What is the best way to do this while still reasonably cost effective

Mike 78
Mike

A6 was used to 76. 77 up used the R4.
New R4 & used brackets.

Best is probably Sanden 508, new brackets, hoses, etc.
http://www.vintageair.com/

Old 07-22-2004, 12:55 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Unless your wanting to keep it all original, definitely go with the aftermarket compressor. They are more efficient, lighter and considerably less money. Vintage Air (in TX?) also sell everything you need.

Hans

Get notified of new replies

To Reinstall AC

Quick Reply: Reinstall AC