C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bleeding power steering..

Old 07-26-2004, 04:08 AM
Corz
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Default bleeding power steering..

how do i bleed this thing? I think I'm gunna tackle it tomorrow after I finish the heater core.. I cant take manual steering anymore.

i know i know, I'm a whimp
Old 07-26-2004, 05:22 AM
BB wowbagger
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hook everything together and fill it up with PS fluid. Start the car and turn the steeringwheel end to end. Check fluidlevel,fill it up and repeat..
Old 07-26-2004, 07:34 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

It is better to try and get most of the air out of the system before starting your engine. This will prevent the pump from whipping the fluid into a froth with the air that is still in the system if you start the engine without getting most of it out.

With both front wheels off the ground, fill the pump reservoir to the HOT mark on the stick. Lit is sit a couple minutes. Now rotate the steering wheel lock to lock about a dozen times. Refill the reservoir to the COLD mark on the stick. Repeat the lock to lock turns another dozen times. Refill again if necessary.

Let the car down and start the engine. Make another couple of lock to lock turns (do not hold at full lock more than a few seconds.) Recheck the fluid level and refill to the COLD mark if necessary.

Go for a short drive. Recheck the level one more time. You are done!

BTW, I always recommend that you fill the system with genuine GM power steering fluid. This fluid is available at any GM dealer. It is the only fluid that is specifically formulated for use with the Saginaw pump.

Jim
Old 07-26-2004, 08:26 AM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

I have always had good luck doing it like Jim has said. I usually let mine set overnight with the wheels off the ground. The next morning give it a few lock to lock turns and if the level remains acceptable you know you are ok.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:52 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran

sounds harder then I thought it would be, okay, I'll jack up the front tonite and do it tomorrow (its supposed to be cooler tomorrow)
Old 07-26-2004, 05:46 PM
BigBadRed
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim Shea
It is better to try and get most of the air out of the system before starting your engine. This will prevent the pump from whipping the fluid into a froth with the air that is still in the system if you start the engine without getting most of it out.

With both front wheels off the ground, fill the pump reservoir to the HOT mark on the stick. Lit is sit a couple minutes. Now rotate the steering wheel lock to lock about a dozen times. Refill the reservoir to the COLD mark on the stick. Repeat the lock to lock turns another dozen times. Refill again if necessary.

Let the car down and start the engine. Make another couple of lock to lock turns (do not hold at full lock more than a few seconds.) Recheck the fluid level and refill to the COLD mark if necessary.

Go for a short drive. Recheck the level one more time. You are done!

BTW, I always recommend that you fill the system with genuine GM power steering fluid. This fluid is available at any GM dealer. It is the only fluid that is specifically formulated for use with the Saginaw pump.

Jim
I did NOT follow this advice and just started my car and went back and forth. Turns into one giant frothy useless mess. I took almost a week to get the fluid back to normal.

Get notified of new replies

To bleeding power steering..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bleeding power steering..