C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about ground straps/wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 04:43 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about ground straps/wiring

On the wiring harness that goes from the firewall to the front headlights, there are two ground straps that come out of it. The first one is by the radiator and is thick, and the second one is by the driver side headlight and is thinner. Does anyone know what they bolt to?

Also, where do the straps that come in the ground strap kit from Zip go? I lost the sheet that came with them. Awhoops!

Thanks for the help!
Jerry
Old 07-28-2004, 02:44 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ttt
Old 07-28-2004, 07:06 AM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default grounding straps

Cant say for sure about zips straps but I got mine from another place. It included 3 straps, 1 from the frame to the body just under the "A" post on the drivers side. 2nd one on the power antenna to the frame, 3rd one from the rear of the engine to the firewall. Mine was a 79.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:30 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see you have a 79. On my 72, there are two grounds on the forward lamp harness. One gets bolted to the front nose brace, the other to the radiator support. One wire is the ground for the horns...the other for the lights.
Hope I've helped
Eddie
Old 07-28-2004, 08:56 AM
My79Vette
Instructor

Same place on my 79 as Silvr77 stated.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:34 PM
jerryjfunk
Melting Slicks

ESU: What part of the body does the strap go to? I see where it connects to the frame but I don't see anywhere on the body.

Silvr77/My79Vette: Thanks for the help. I put the ground wires where they go, but still no luck with my headlights. I'm not sure what's going on.

Old 07-28-2004, 06:19 PM
ESU
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default grounding strap

Which strap do you want to know about?
Old 07-28-2004, 10:55 PM
LemansBlue68
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your car may be a bit different from mine but two of my ground straps attached to a leg of the exhaust pipe clamps and also attached to the cross member on the frame that the exhaust pipes pass through (I thought that was really odd but is clearly shown on my instruction sheet and AIM).

A third strap has a clip on one end and an eyelet on the other. The clip attaches to the driver side reinforcement just forward of the firewall near the #1 body mount. The eyelet is bolted to the frame. There is a small hole drilled for it.

The fourth strap attaches to a shield for the radio antenna and the other end attaches to the driver's side rear kickup. There is also a small hole drilled nearby for it.

There is a BIG cable that attaches directly to the battery, passes through a grommet in the battery box and to the frame to a rather large bolt that screws into a threaded hole in the rear cross member. The bolt is about 1/2" X 3/4" long.

The last ground cable attaches to the frame near the passenger side motor mount and attaches either directly to a stud on the starter or to the engine block at the forward starter support bracket.

Incidentally, except for the engine ground strap and the ground lead for the battery, all of the other ground straps are included in the AIM under the section covering the optional radio. My impression is that radio delete cars didn't have the additional ground straps.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about ground straps/wiring

Quick Reply: Question about ground straps/wiring