C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have liability insurance with Geico, should I look into Hagerty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 04:52 PM
BreauxBridgeKid
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have liability insurance with Geico, should I look into Hagerty?

I dont fully understand the Hagerty's insurance deal, seems extremely cheap to me since I've been with Geico paying like a grand annualy. Do I have to keep my libility with geico and use Hagerty's to insure the full value or can I just go with Hagerty's. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-29-2004, 04:57 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

Hagerty has a mileage policy
Old 07-29-2004, 04:58 PM
73'Vette
Racer

I just got a yearly policy with Hagerty this week. It was only 162 bucks for the year. As long as you don't mind the sort of strict rules they have, you can't beat the price. You must be able to keep the Vette inside a garaged area, you aren't supposed to leave it unattended when going places, you can't use it as a daily driver, and you are limited on the amount of miles per year. There may be some other stipulations, but these are the ones that come to mind at the moment.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:02 PM
L82-JWS
Racer

I have Hagerty on my 79....valued at 20K...policy runs 367 per year...
I had to show that car is kept in garage with locked doors, couple of other things, but car is on its own policy..full coverage....other cars with allstate. I dont put more than 2 or 3K per year, but I dont think I have a mileage restriction...
Old 07-29-2004, 05:16 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

With hagerty/grundy etc you have to have a second car as your daily driver. The second car cannot be an old car. The vette has to be in a locked garage. It can only be driven to car shows, parades and to/from a shop. You are not allowed to drive it to work. Ever. You must take the shortest route home from the show/parade. If you stop at a 7/11 for a gallon of milk on the way home you are not covered.

Be sure you can live with these restrictions before signing up or you could find yourself uncovered if you ever make a claim.

I'm currently on a regular policy with nationwide where I can drive wherever and whenever I want. Full coverage in Dallas is $600/year.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:25 PM
rosslato
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

i had hagerty but went with grundys for the same deal, $30,000 agreed value for 1/2 the price of hagertys and no mileage restriction, cost me around $280 for the whole year, although living in mich i only drive for 6months. u can't have any moving violations for 3yrs or accidents and they want pics of your car to see if it's worth the agreed value just as hagerty does. agreed value is if your car is totaled etc they automatically pay me $30,000 for my car, no questions asked. glad to b of help
Old 07-29-2004, 05:45 PM
COMMANDER370
Burning Brakes

American Hobbyist also has about the same restrictions as Haggerty.iI did not notice anything about not driving to work,but i sometimes have to stay late and i worry about my company truck i drive in the part of town where i work . i would not even think about driving the vette.They called me earlier in the week to verify some info and said policy should be in effect tomorrow.too bad car is not quite ready to roll

by the way breauxbridge kid, if you get to lake charles to gamble on the river boats,give me a call.

Last edited by COMMANDER370; 07-29-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:14 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

not driving to work is a common restriction, but most policies allow "limited pleasure driving". I have never heard of a restriction as strict as what Zwede describes, ie taking the shortest route home...
Old 07-29-2004, 06:24 PM
CruisinCO
Racer

I also have had Hagerty now for 2 yrs. I have had no issues, but also have not had to make a claim. I pay around 170 or 180 bucks a yr for my 69 vert & I specially did ask about the restrictions. 'Limited' pleasure driving is accurate based on what I was told.
Show me a company that does not allow you to stop for milk at the local 7-11 or have to take the shortest route home from a car show or not allow you to park your car in a parking lot for 1 minute unattended and I'll show you an insurance company with zero customers.
In any service business..words like "None' or 'Can't' are nonoperative words.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:26 PM
Skyhawk
Instructor

I just got my '78 a while back, and got my insurance through the same people insuring my other cars, which was Grange. I told them the car is driven only occasionally, and kept in the garage. They did want pictures, but weren't nearly as restrictive as some of the companies I hear being described. The cost was only about $175. for the year too.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Steve Grodin
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by zwede
With hagerty/grundy etc you have to have a second car as your daily driver. The second car cannot be an old car. The vette has to be in a locked garage. It can only be driven to car shows, parades and to/from a shop. You are not allowed to drive it to work. Ever. You must take the shortest route home from the show/parade. If you stop at a 7/11 for a gallon of milk on the way home you are not covered.

Be sure you can live with these restrictions before signing up or you could find yourself uncovered if you ever make a claim.

I'm currently on a regular policy with nationwide where I can drive wherever and whenever I want. Full coverage in Dallas is $600/year.
I have Hagerty. My daily driver is a '77 El Camino. No milage restriction.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:16 PM
Robert N
Melting Slicks

Generally there are no mileage restrictions. You need a second vehicle as the daily driver, the car must be stored in a lock garage and driving is limited to pleasure use. That means no trips to work, out to the bar, etc. The idea was these cars are covered for such a nominal fee since they are used only for Sunday pleasure drives and shows/cruises. That translates to little risk.

If the car were totalled on the way home from work, you would be SOL.

I have mine under my standard policy. The cost is not much more than classic insurance (in my case). For the extra money, it is covered and I can use the car as I see fit. Since I bought the car to drive I would rather enjoy the car and risk fighting with the insurance company over it's real value than the classic car insurance option.
Old 07-29-2004, 08:32 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 333 Likes on 255 Posts

The "no stop @ 7/11" came from a forum member who had called a collectors insurance co and was told this. The daily driver age limitation also came from a forum member who was turned down because his DD was from the early 80's.
Old 07-29-2004, 09:59 PM
bqce
Instructor

My policy with Hagerty does not have a mileage restriction or a driving restriction. I asked specifically about these questions. They don't want you driving the thing every day like you would your F-350, and you have to have it garaged, and I had to provide pix so they could tell it wasn't a piece of junk. Since I haven't had a claim, I am assuming they are okay, but that is always the test of a good company. I would have used USAA if they had a classic car policy, but they didn't, so Hagerty's got the biz.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:15 AM
Gage
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I got my Hagerty policy, we came up with an agreed upon annual mileage (3K per yr), agree to keep in locked garage, but they never said anything about how I could use the 3K or where I could drive. They would only have 20% of the customers they have now if they were that strict.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:07 AM
smoothsailing
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Insurance policies are contracts. If you're trying to decide what policy to go with ask the companies for a copy of the policy. They do not get this type of request often, make it clear why you want it. If they refuse ask for written restictions ie underwriting guide lines. A lot of the info in forum members experiences are on target. However, again an insurance policy is a contract it will state exactly what the restrictons are. If after reading everything you are still unclear. Write the insurance company and ask for a written response. Keep the response with any policy you end up with. Not stopping at a 7/11 is probably some agents staff using this as a general guideline meaning the car is not to be used for anything other that car stuff. The one general concern I would have is insuring a "none standard" auto on the family autopolicy is this. Insurance companies are going to look up the value of a 1969 Chevy and the trouble starts because of the huge price differences between what the cars trade for and what their books might reflect. Take for example a 1969 Vette in perfect condition and a project car. Could be tens of thousands of dollars. You can get an adjuster telling you unless you have "stated value coverge" they will pay you $500. for your Vette(same as they would for a 79 Impala. So ask your insurance agent how your company will deal with the older car claim settlement. Again if unclear write the company. If you don't have an insurance agent (ie Geico) do not accept the work of some online clerk. You must write the company and demand a written response as to how they will handle claims.Good luck.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:56 AM
glen242
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zwede
The "no stop @ 7/11" came from a forum member who had called a collectors insurance co and was told this. The daily driver age limitation also came from a forum member who was turned down because his DD was from the early 80's.
I have had Hagerty for about 5 years. Some of the restrictions I have read about, here on the Forum, do not exist in my policy.

Suggest you contact Hagerty and see what they say.

Get notified of new replies

To I have liability insurance with Geico, should I look into Hagerty?

Old 07-30-2004, 12:07 PM
Blue70
Instructor

I asked when I got my insurance with Hagerty. They just wanted to make sure it was not a daily driver, you needed a newer car, and it had to be kept in a garage.
No mileage or day limits on my written policy

I don't know if different states differ at all. I know Hagerty would not insure a car at all in MA (at least 4 years ago).
Old 07-30-2004, 12:25 PM
Karfever
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

I am with American Collectors. I pay 220 a year for 30000 agreed value. I have been with them for years on various muscle cars. Never had a claim so I cant speak to their response.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:48 PM
MILO
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate insurance companies. This stems back to when my brother and I had insurance policies (State Farm) with the same company. He had a $13K accident and they dropped me because I lived in the same house and he had access to my car.

Right now I have liability only on my '79 vette. I can drive where I want, when I want. Yeah there's always the possibility of some crashing me or stealing it. It sits in a locked garage. HOWEVER, the car is starting to appreciate somewhat, so I'll want to look at some collectors insurance. Thanks for naming most of them here.

My big question is how many made a claim and still have collector insurance with decent premiums? Or is this like one time insurance policy.

Quick Reply: I have liability insurance with Geico, should I look into Hagerty?